Author Topic: A Mathematician’s Lament  (Read 468 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
A Mathematician’s Lament
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:01:10 am »
A Mathematician’s Lament was written by Paul Lockhart in 2002 so some might have read it by I only just found and finished it. Lockhart takes too main and intertwined stances, the more obvious of the two is one Mathematics not considered and "art" it enjoyment being sucked out and beaten. The other being a critque of the current schooling system in America and around a lot of the world.

25-page PDF, just 392k

No this isn't a life changer for me, but its just as good. It put in to words, and quite beautify, my thought on mathematics curriculum. I myself am working on becoming a Mathematician, because I'm good at it and its fun. Yes, that the only bases I chose my major on.  They problem is the term "good at it", scores and home work is not spectacular but as every one of my instructors say he knows the concept.

I found out really what that meant when I started tutoring others. I found the almost every time I'm teaching some one from a clean slate, they know to divide by the coefficient to get they variable alone. If that doesn't work they're lost, no creativity in think up new ways around.

I just what to hear your thoughts on this piece.

Ooo this may be my second longest post ever!