Author Topic: FaustWolf's progress thread and bug report  (Read 16171 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: FaustWolf's progress thread and bug report
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2009, 04:01:10 pm »
I stayed at the entrance and then left. Didn't get to the party split at that point.

EDIT: In further news on the Ayla disappearance bug, I managed to dig up an old savestate from before Crono came back. Both Crono and Ayla are missing, so I'd presume that she went bye-bye along with Crono after the Dreamtime.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2009, 04:02:52 pm »
I don't suppose you have a save state from within the flame dungeons?  That's where my bet is... but I can't seem to repro it....

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2009, 05:04:59 pm »
Ayla disappears after the Frozen Flame trials -- confirmed. She's not there when the party regroups.

Dreaming Across Time (DBT)

Holy mother of Zurvan, the DBT is the most deliciously designed dungeon ever created for an SNES game! I didn't even know you could do that kind of party split with the CT game engine, and the later portion with the transitioning environments was ca-razay! Then there were tons of little things, like the little boy who surreally evolves into Lavoid creatures, and the chest that plays games with you to the sound of evil laughter, that really made it creepy.  JP NOTE: Yea it came out really really good  :)  It was really the entire team coming together, the split party was majority of my code (polished by 99), mash up of time was i think my idea, but Nightmare really went above and beyond with the mapping (again polished by 99 :) ), and the dialogue of the flame emanations was a brain child of zeality

I assume that enemy AI isn't complete for the last boss yet? That was really, really, ridiculously easy.  JP NOTE: in reply in fact.....if you can send me over that srm/save state I could use it to get the stats right

1. "I didn't find a golden egg..."

2. Ah, yes, the lovable Speekio.   JP NOTE: Did i spell it speekio  wrong?

3. In this corridor of the Dreamtime (where you fought the Eidolon), post-battle party still goes haywire after the non-boss battle there.

4. Hexapod discombobulates upon battle. Not all hexapods do this -- just this one I think.

5. Am I supposed to be able to open this chest? It doesn't open for me.  :( JP NOTE: haha...looks like the tile moved but not the chest...

6. Tubster discombobulates upon battle.

7. Should be "its creation" I think. Nevermind. I'm not sure why I shot this now.

8. Tile priority issue.

The remaining issues I found were with the ending, which is apparently filled with script fillers for the most part, with at least one concept from a previous draft ("Crono! Frog and Magus went on a rampage outside the castle!") still in the mix. Be sure to correct "Betlhasar" and "Monticref" when you go through the dialogue there. Also, Magus didn't have his own ending after being sent through the Time Dispatch chamber when I watched the ending. I think it's supposed to be sandwiched between the "The End" messages, but I'm not sure.

Game completion time: 28:30. I made prodigious use of ZSNES' fast forward button to zoom through non-boss battles and environments that I'd explored pretty thoroughly already, but I don't think that sped up the game clock. Probably would have been another 2 hours had I completed a couple sidequests and made full use of the various minigames.

I'm off to fill out the questionnaire.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:51:44 pm by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2009, 05:08:50 pm »
Ayla disappears after the Frozen Flame trials -- confirmed. She's not there when the party regroups.

Can you give me an SRM or save state so I can investigate this?  What were the 3 flame dungeons you did?

Congrats on beating the game :) The ending is being worked on by chrono 99 as we speak.  Kasmir's AI is done but not  his states, you know better than most beta testers what is (possibly) happening for Zeal.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2009, 05:12:13 pm »
Here's a savestate made just before the party heads off for the assault on the Ocean Palace.

Complete the Frozen Flame trials with the active party in that savestate and you should repro the bug.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2009, 05:36:22 pm »
Thanks FW, the bug has been found, I'll have the fix out soon!

It was a sneaky one.... :)

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2009, 04:22:06 am »
In Magus' solo chapter (Legacy of Zeal I think), if you walk into the place where you're supposed to deposit the Masamune later...Magus actually deposits the Masamune there now. I'm using the latest CE patch (4/07), but also the tech patch -- I hope the tech patch isn't the culprit, hehe.

Here's a .zst so you can see if it repros.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:15:47 pm by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2009, 04:37:50 am »
haha don't worry not your patch it's cause of something I was doing while debugging.

Will fix tomorrow....by the way don't go in there at all cause it'll think you're in chapter 15 when you leave.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2009, 04:54:23 am »
Yeah, I figured as much. I re-loaded my savestate and avoided it. Glad it's not the tech patch making things go haywire!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2009, 01:26:18 am »
Checking in with some bugs from the first few chapters. The new techs are working out well, *Venom Mist is really a standout and makes Glenn pretty awesome early on.

1. Events a year ago, or five years ago?

2. The weapon description seems either nonsensical or overly Highlander-like here. Unless it's a purposeful Highlander reference... JP NOTE: I'll let Zeality comment

3. It not good to keep this guy in the release edition, rite?  JP NOTE:  I'm still using him, I'll add a bug to remove him to the DB (before we release i'll be sure that's 0)

4. Now Marle does the dead-crawl, but maybe this is a non-issue if there's no encounter here in the release version. JP: Ditto

5. If it's live news and not a microfiche, this should read 2305AD.  JP: I hope it's live

6. Should be "...but they all still sort of feel..."

7. Placeholder dialogue at the 605 Dorino Inn. This is during Glenn's first chapter.

8. Oh noes, when I use Robo's "Steel Crash" against Kasmir, the battle hangs...I'll look into this.

9. (Nothing you can do about this one). Also, I do believe I finally figured out what causes savegames to get erased. Consequently, here's how to erase a savegame!

Step 1: Make a savestate.
Step 2: Save your game normally at a later point.
Step 3: Load the previously-made savestate.
Step 4: Re-load the ROM. Boom, SRAM gone! There must be a weird interplay between the .SRM files and the .ZST files. This is my belief. At least for now...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:30:02 pm by jsondag2 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2009, 02:21:19 am »
Strangely, #8 is both random and rare. What the...heck? I just finished off Kasmir with a barrage of "Steel Crash"es and it was fine. I thought at first that using *Venom Mist followed by Steel Crash is what caused it to hang, but I did that too, and no problem. I wonder if it was because I was fast-forwarding through the battle when it hung before...?

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2009, 02:22:10 am »
There's an option in ZSNES to load SRAM with the savestates. It can be turned off.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2009, 02:36:11 am »
Ahaaa, very good. That explains it.

I've thoroughly checked out #8 over and over again, and it's not happening for me any longer. I'll consider it a one-time fluke unless I run into it again.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2009, 02:43:32 am »
The second playthrough progresses finally! It's amazing how everything's shaped up since I played through it earlier.

1. When you first return to Chronopolis after getting Glenn, Crono is awkwardly placed, and goes just a bit haywire when the party moves. Crono is in the third position of the party when this happens. JP NOTE: Whoops...my bad this is why we beta test

2. Your call as to whether slightly different wording should be used here (wink wink, nod nod). Bug'd in case

3. When Belthasar gives the party a Time Egg with which to travel to Zeal, Belthasar's positioning is a bit awkward. Who is he supposed to be giving the egg to? Again, my party is Glenn-Robo-Crono. Actually, maybe it's Robo-Glenn-Crono if that makes a difference, dang. I know Crono was definitely in the third slot as mentioned previously though. I think this may have been related to the above bug I couldn't repro with any party

5. Not sure if it'll cause any problems later, but I was able to collect a bunch of frogs in the Hunting Range way before that event is triggered. The frogs seem to be available from the moment you set foot in 65Million BC now. JP NOTE: yea I let them do that to sort of reward the explorers later (so they'll be able to easily get all the frogs later and get the bonus armor)

6. On the right-hand side of the pic here, there seems to be some tile priority issues; see the dactyl enemy's wings popping out of the rock formation there?  JP NOTE: ....uh weird...is there a second dactyle or is that the first dactyles wings sort of teleporting?

7. I'd recommend the spelling of "firey" be changed to "fiery" unless that's done on purpose to show some kind of European English spelling I'm unaware of.  JP: it's fire...as an adverb right? The proposed spelling is a totally different word right?

8. Period needed at the end of the first line of text here.

No problems to report on the tech front, but I want to give Ayla's new techs a whirl in the CE ROM before I recommend including the techs in the mainstream patches.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:07:04 am by jsondag2 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
There was a second dactyl/Avian Rex enemy in #6. See what ZeaLitY thinks about the firey/fiery matter, just in case.