Author Topic: And Time Marches On...  (Read 5802 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: And Time Marches On...
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 04:26:39 am »
Right, but the FAIL rank didn't seem to slow him down, and how many computers are there in the average household these days? I think this won't be the last that we see of Shadow D. Darkman.

idioticidioms

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 04:43:42 am »
yeah, but you don't get it. just because the computers are different doesn't mean they have different IP's. If they're all connected to the same line, then they're going to all have the same IP for connecting to sites. You have to actually have two different lines to achieve a different IP. or by using a router, but even with a router you can tell by doing a check of the static IP.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 05:00:59 am »
Well there isn't a full proof method to ban him, but if he does create a new account(which he has before) and its impossible to tell, and he then behaves fine the there is now problem. If he misbehaves the well that's banned as well, it doesn't cost the compendium resources it costs him.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 05:05:43 am »
yeah, but you don't get it. just because the computers are different doesn't mean they have different IP's. If they're all connected to the same line, then they're going to all have the same IP for connecting to sites. You have to actually have two different lines to achieve a different IP. or by using a router, but even with a router you can tell by doing a check of the static IP.

News to me. I suppose that's why I didn't go to school for computer science then  :D

Still, he has plenty of access to computers at school, internet cafe's, etc. And no one figured out that it was him who created the Oxlylinc account before, except for me. He wasn't doing anything wrong on that account in retrospect, I just thought it was a joke so I called him out on it. I feel kind of bad about that actually.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 05:17:14 am »
If he does find another way to get on then more power to him. I'm sure he understands what is acceptable at the Compendium and what is not. Also he got a bit of a bad rap at the end and he was starting to act more sane, but unfortunately for him first impressions matter a lot. If he comes back on another account and behaves the way he did a for the last few weeks then I think he would do fine here.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 05:21:27 am »
I think that is probably what will happen. However, when he registered the Oxlylinc account his constant references to his former self would have given it away regardless. Even if my insane memory didn't pick up that it was the username he had from an obscure Kingdom Hearts forum that he posted a link to a long time ago that was up here for a day before the thread was deleted (apologies Shadow!  :D)

So Shadow, if you are still reading this, my sincere advice to you (as I have given you sincere advice many times before) is to not make any reference to your former self upon your return here. Which you will do. I don't think you could give these forums up so easily, judging by your personality.

But now that he is temporarily gone - I've just gotta know - who was it that signed up with that Shade B. Blackman account? Was it Vehek? Is that was Shadow was referencing? Come on, fess up. Unlike most people here, I thought it was clever and hilarious.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:31:44 am by chrono eric »

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 05:33:12 am »
I think the banning personally was because he had become so hated that him posting almost anywhere was a distraction. I was a supporter for him to be banned. I think mine and his massive argument was a month or so before you joined Eric, but I will admit that I noticed that he was a bit different more recently. Tho that could have been from me not being as active myself.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 05:43:19 am »
Yeah, when he started here he was much worse. I remember, out of all the things he did that irritated others, the only thing that even irritated me a little bit was the giant picard facepalm pics and the "O RLY?" pics. The giant text really didn't bother me - I would just scroll past it.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 05:51:00 am »

News to me. I suppose that's why I didn't go to school for computer science then  :D

Still, he has plenty of access to computers at school, internet cafe's, etc. And no one figured out that it was him who created the Oxlylinc account before, except for me. He wasn't doing anything wrong on that account in retrospect, I just thought it was a joke so I called him out on it. I feel kind of bad about that actually.

If he's getting out of the house in the process of trying to post on here, then that's better for him, even if it means he can get around an IP ban. At least he won't be trapping himself at home with the same computer all the time, and his available time to post will be a lot more reasonably limited.

Chances are though, if this place was simply his path of least resistance, he'll find something better to do with his time.

Also, I deleted his other account the moment I saw it, since the IP addresses were the same, and the tone and the timing of it made it clear who it was. If he hadn't created the account to get around being placed on restriction, I might have let it slide, but don't feel bad and think you helped him get caught for that.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 05:56:55 am »
Well, I'm kind of at odds about that. I'm not sure if he created the other account to get around the restrictions or if he truly just wanted a fresh start. I tend to side with the latter, which makes me feel a bit bad despite the fact that the account would have been inevitably deleted anyways. I think he truly just wanted a fresh start because his primary problem with the restriction wasn't the FAIL rank but that he couldn't send PM's. When he registered the new account, he only told like 2 people about his true identity in private via PM's - Zeality and Faust I think.  Why would he do that if he just wanted to get around the restrictions?

Oh yeah, and advice #2 Shadow - don't admit who you are to anybody when you come back. Even if I figure it out a second time  :D

idioticidioms

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 05:58:29 am »
don't tell him that. it's ok to be who he is as long as he contains some of his more annoying habits. people shouldn't have to pretend to be something they're not.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 07:05:00 am »
I'm pretty sure he said somewhere that he didn't know what was up with his FAIL rank & junk and that was why he created the other account.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 11:24:41 am »
... he's gone? H-he's really gone?! There really IS a deity! Oh, thank you, Bursches! They have not only provided me Caramel Delites (or Samoas for you uncultured cretins), but there is significant lack of Shadow D. Darkman! Now my hair is safe... as I won't rip it out anymore.

I'm sorry to say that I might actually miss him. What happened to him? Why's he leaving? I know Ramsus came back, but... does Ramsus hate Darkman? Is there no room for two of them on one forum?

... or did Darkman actually learn to read people's posts and figure out that most hated him?

... I doubt that last one.

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 11:34:38 am »
Please refer to the "The $%*! frustration thread" for the exciting conclusion of the longest flame war in compendium history. SDD vs The Chrono Compendium.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 01:03:57 pm »
 I wasn't aware anything happened either. Just "Okay I can stay ^^"   then all the sudden "we're gonna ban you anyways."