Author Topic: Porre's Flag  (Read 12051 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Porre's Flag
« on: February 29, 2004, 04:58:10 pm »
I'm going to propose a theory here; perhaps the age-old differences of the Ioka and Laruba tribes, thought to have later descended into the Earthbound and Zealians, respectively, continued into the modern age, and that Guardia and Porre hail from these tribes. Unfortunately, Guardia's shield is the Dactyl, which was a claim by the Larubans (recall that they alone could control the Dactyl until Ayla requires its assistance). However, the last statement coupled with the possible forgetting of such a detail over millions of years may allow this theory to hold water.

I'll call it Tribe-Descendant Theory.

Daniel Krispin

Porre's Flag
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 11:17:18 pm »
Before this gets too far, I would like to make a comment. It's not a Gryphon! I am not sure if they change it to make it different in Chrono Cross, but in the CT special ending the black creature on the flag is not a Gryphon at all. The tail is a serpent. Also I think a Gryphon has the head of an eagle; the symbol that appears in the CT version has the head of a lion. The symbol is a Chimera, the legendary Greek monster that Bellerephon (I guessed with this spelling) fought. So before too much speculation is made regarding a Gryphon symbol, I just thought I'd mention that.
As for why a Chimera...I haven't a clue.

doulifee

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doulifee.com
Porre's Flag
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 12:06:31 pm »
It's a chimera yes, and it's bellerophon (at least in french)

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Porre's Flag
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 11:29:18 pm »
In CC in Home Termina there a statue of a winged lion, but it not posible to confirme if the tal is a snake. In CC the lion in the flag is with something red in the mouth,maibe as sword (masamune?).  

A good idea is verify what is the meaning of  a winged lion,Chimera or Gryphon for the  Heraldry

Daniel Krispin

Porre's Flag
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 08:45:32 pm »
I am quite sure that a lion is a symbol of strength, and if I am not mistaken (which I may well be), the gryphon too is a symbol of strength, but with intelligence added on (symbolised by the eagle head, I think). I have never seen a chimera in any heraldry (though that means nothing; I haven't really paid much attention to that sort of thing), but in Greek mythology it is simply a monster, an amalgam of a lion, snake, and goat. The last one leads me to wonder if the symbol is even a true chimera; perhaps it is an altered version. In any sense I think the reason for this is a symbol of fear and monstrous power in the Empire.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Porre's Flag
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 09:13:54 am »
Although it seems like "Gryphon" has been deemed not on the Porre flag...I've only read a bit on them...But they're supposed to be protectors of gold as far as I remember.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Porre's Flag
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 02:24:53 pm »
Something hasn't been mentioned yet; a Gryphon is like a monster lion, and the Masamune's Japanese name (Grandleon), basically means Great Lion... Maybe the Rise of Porre also enhanced their pride in their folklore, so that they took that Gryphon as their flag to make everybody remembers the Masamune belonged to their Southern Zenan (although Denadoro is nearer to Sandorino than Porre...).

It would "justify" their invasion of Guardia, to retrieve their Masamune.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Porre's Flag
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »
Mwahahah, I can think of few things more fun than zombie-fying a 6-year old thread, and maybe this will encourage others to go through what's already been discussed in case new evidence has been observed in the meantime.

Quote from: Chrono'99
It would "justify" their invasion of Guardia, to retrieve their Masamune.
As a shameless armchair war history buff, I couldn't help but think of the Alsace-Lorraine when I read this. I've always wondered about the political status of San Dorino too -- ironically right beside the mountain from which Masamune had been plucked. Technically on the same continent as Porre, yet only a strait away from Guardia...

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »
As a shameless armchair war history buff, I couldn't help but think of the Alsace-Lorraine when I read this. I've always wondered about the political status of San Dorino too -- ironically right beside the mountain from which Masamune had been plucked. Technically on the same continent as Porre, yet only a strait away from Guardia...

I've wondered this topic as well. It's possible that, in the original timeline, San Dorino ceases to exist as most of the southern continent is covered in desert. Inhabitance was no longer possible and the city just disappeared. However, after Robo remains behind and helps Fiona repair the forest, the southern continent now changes and could easily support life. Why didn't San Dorino return? It seems the entire town was built simply to fund Toma's search.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »
Or that it exists in 1000 but just isn't shown on the map due to it serving no purpose.