Author Topic: Sick! As in Illness!  (Read 3886 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Sick! As in Illness!
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »
Glad I don't remember any of it. (though that's rather awful; that means some of my brain cells died that day... ugh...)

Not necessarily, although you didn't give the specifics of the hallucinations or the highness of the fever, the fever may have just altered normal protein and electrical function in your brain temporarily. No brain cells had to die, and even if they did it wouldn't matter. Brain cells die often as it is, and you clearly are not mentally impaired from the incident. Now, if you go out and whack your head with a baseball bat a few times, a significantly higher portion of brain cells would die, for comparison  :D.

But I imagine it must have been a pretty damn high fever. One time my girlfriend had a UTI, and she had never had one before. It hit her hard. She was planning on going to the doctor on Monday, I already knew what the diagnosis would be but she needed proper antibiotics. I had some sulfa on hand, but I wanted her to go to a doctor since I don't have a medical degree yet so I wasn't comfortable giving her the antibiotics. Bad mistake. On Saturday she started to get worse, and her fever began to skyrocket. I had her idiot friend watching over her while I went to get some supplies, and she calls me and tells me that in the span of a half hour the fever rose from 102 to 105. That is extremely dangerous. I told her that we needed to get her to a hospital right away, and that I was on my way back.

I walk into my apartment to find my girlfriend's idiot friend (who was going to school for nursing btw, so I thought I could trust her) giving my girlfriend a bath in freezing cold water in an attempt to bring down her fever. For those of you that don't know, if the body experiences a sudden drop in outside temperature it will attempt to raise your internal temperature to counter it, even if you have a fever. At 107 degrees core temp your organs begin shutting down. Giving someone with a high fever an ice cold bath could send them into shock, which is what happened to her. At the most you should take a lukewarm bath. Anyways, my girlfriend starts hallucinating and passing out, while I'm flipping out on her idiot friend and trying to get her dressed at the same time.

What really pissed me off is that we get to the hospital, in an emergency situation, they make us wait. I tell the nurse there everything that happened and she was obsessed with what medication we gave her. I tell her that it is clearly not a drug reaction. She says "she probably just has the flu or something", I say "No, she doesn't have the flu because she has no symptoms of the flu. My guess is a UTI". She totally blows me off. After about 6 hrs of tests later, the doctor comes in to tell her that she has a UTI and that if I didn't get her to the hospital when I did her idiot friends actions could have killed her. Tell me something I don't know, doc.

I luckily have never been that sick. And I haven't really talked to her friend since. Last I heard she flunked out of nursing school. Which is a good thing in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:32:11 pm by chrono eric »

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:24 am »
This entire story starts with a leg injury that requires surgery.

I got a set of Heely's. The next day, I was riding them and broke my leg. I unfortunately decided that it couldn't be broken, and having no medical insurance, I didn't go to the hospital. I walked on it for two weeks. I couldn't walk any more, the pain was too excruciating. So I went to the hospital, got an x-ray, and they decided I needed surgery.

72 hours later, I was in Pre-op in the largest hospital in Memphis, TN.

So, I got my leg cut open and a titanium plate was affixed to my bone with 7 screws. 6 to hold the plate, one through the fracture.

I go home, and care for my cast to make sure no water gets in. Don’t want an infection, you know. Well, I was taking a shower with my mom and dad helping me, and my cast gets wet on the inside. I didn’t really realize it until my incision was ON FIRE and it felt like it was leaking something into my cast. Went back to the local hospital, and this is what they found upon removing my cast: A large, red, inflamed incision, staples practically bursting out, and pus leaking out everywhere.

So then I am screwed (quite literally, haha metal pun). I have a huge infection, so I receive a large shot in the bum bum and a few pills to take at home. I start taking the antibiotics and the rest of my painkillers. The infection goes away very slowly, but not before looking like this: dried pus all over it and purple.

I get my staples removed, I get in another cast (by the way, I was allergic to the coating on the staples so I have a giant zipper-like scar on my leg now.) and everything’s hunky dory. Everything was fine until that fateful day three months later. I had to get my wisdom teeth removed because they were causing my teeth to crowd. Little did I know that I had an infected ingrown hair under my arm.  Well the anesthesia from the wisdom tooth surgery broke the pus core in that infection, and it started filling my arm.

I find out that I am infected with MRSA. Super Staph. It’s killed a lot of people. I was scared. But a few days and 20 VERY painful IV antibiotic treatments later, I’m feeling better, my arm’s drained out, and they cut the pus core out, so the infection is gone. Only problem is that I can never take another medicine with “cillin” at the end of it, because it will only exacerbate every condition I attempt to treat with it.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2009, 04:55:00 am »
I'm from redneck land too  :D. I was just referencing the fact that they make you present an ID because pseudoephedrine is beta-hydroxy methamphetamine. Methamphetamine can be made from it in an easy two step synthesis that can be done on any kitchen stove.

Which, like it or not, is a very prevalent practice by that particular group of individuals.

As much as I make fun of this state I live in (Texas), I actually prefer it to the state I used to live in (Mass).

I'm from Kentucky, but everyone on xbox live and the internetz always ask after they hear me speak if I am from Texas.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2009, 01:13:24 pm »
What really pissed me off is that we get to the hospital, in an emergency situation, they make us wait.

Emergency Rooms unfortunately are rather horrible in that regard. The doctors (if you are lucky enough to get a doctor) are usually over worked and out of their comfort zone. Last time I was in one, had to wait 6 hours while my wife was moaning in pain, rolling on the floor, vomiting, etc. When they finally saw us, the pain was so bad that morphine didn't work. When morphine doesn't work, you know you've waited too long (or that it is a type of pain morphine doesn't affect, but this turned out to just be a kindey stone acting like appendicitis).

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2009, 01:16:43 pm »
(Just noticed this.)

I own a pink belt... does that make me a douchebag?

No, it makes you tough.

Quote from: Many pink shirts for guys
Tough guys wear pink.

QFT.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2009, 01:23:01 pm »
(Just noticed this.)

I own a pink belt... does that make me a douchebag?

No, it makes you tough.

Quote from: Many pink shirts for guys
Tough guys wear pink.

QFT.

Is that based on the "Boy named Sue" mentality?

I'm from redneck land too  :D. I was just referencing the fact that they make you present an ID because pseudoephedrine is beta-hydroxy methamphetamine. Methamphetamine can be made from it in an easy two step synthesis that can be done on any kitchen stove.

Which, like it or not, is a very prevalent practice by that particular group of individuals.

Meth, the white trash's crack.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:24:56 pm by FouCapitan »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2009, 01:33:36 pm »
Is that based on the "Boy named Sue" mentality?

I doubt it. Read it on some of the pink shirts the guys were wearing. These guys were... how shall I say this, muscular, for lack of an appropriate term.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »
Sorry for double post.

I think something might be wrong. It started yesterday, when I took a swig of soda out of a can.

I guess it might have been timing, since when I swallowed the first drink out of the can, my heart instantly is hurting like fuggin' hell. I know it wasn't the drink, since further drinks did not cause my heart to react again. I had a bit of a cough after coming home from school, and still do, and on top of that I have no strength since my first class ended. (How the hell did I lug my bookbag from there to lunch, lug it around withing for lunch to end, and lug it to my second class?) Plus, my heart's been aching a bit since my first class, so IDK. I'm seeing the doctor today at 3:30 PM E.S.T. to see what's wrong.

Yesterday evening, I told my friend (the one who was also betrayed by Aspeanwolf) about it, to see if she could recognize the symptoms. She didn't know what it was, but recommended that I tell my mom to schedule an appointment to get it looked at.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2009, 08:27:18 pm »
It sounds like you have some esophageal acid reflux going on Shadow. See, the brain interprets pain signals coming from the area of the esophageal sphincter and the stomach as being not inside of you but closer to the skin and over the area of your heart. So, to you, it would feel like it was a problem with your heart.

Before you went to the doctor, I would recommend taking some antacids to see if that cleared it up - as it would be a simple cure. But the doctor will be able to tell you for sure whether it is acid reflux or a cardiac issue. However - at your age (although I don't know your past medical history) a cardiac issue is unlikely. The cough you have is probably a coincidence.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:36:09 am by chrono eric »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 08:40:38 pm »
I know the cough is unrelated, and it turned out I developed a fever while in my first class. And you were right, it was an esophageal cramp due to acid. I didn't take an antacid before going, and I have an antibiotic prescription on hand in case my fever doesn't abate in 2 days.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 09:04:39 pm »
I think I'm getting a bloody cold. Really irritating. I never seem to get a cough or sore throat or anything like that. Instead, the last few times I've just had a real dullness in my hearing for a while. It's remarkably disorienting when you can't hear anything out of one ear.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:16 pm »
The only things like this I can think of is I had a cold for like 2 to 3 weeks over Christmas and New years.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 12:35:30 am »
I know the cough is unrelated, and it turned out I developed a fever while in my first class. And you were right, it was an esophageal cramp due to acid. I didn't take an antacid before going, and I have an antibiotic prescription on hand in case my fever doesn't abate in 2 days.

Champion. My diagnosing skillz schematicz pay off once again.