Author Topic: The RPG discussion thread (formerly Final Fantasy XIII)  (Read 12231 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 03:27:49 pm »
Well kinda in CC the story is about Serge and Schala. But Serge is the main character, because he has one thing Schala doesn't, being the MPC. But In FFX thats all Tidus has. That and the little parts with Jecht. XII is a strange one because we don't really get told the story from anyone's perspective it's just like a movie where thing happen and we watch. FFVI is about Terra and Celes, they are both the main characters if no one noticed. People tend to think it's either one or the other, but they bot have the same amount of reason to fight Kefka.

One could argue that Kefka is the main character of FFVI, as it tells the story of his rise to power, and ends with his defeat.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 03:43:10 pm »
but hes the antagonist for a reason

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 03:49:04 pm »
Naw, FFVI is definitely told for the antagonists(the team) points of view as the take down the Protagonist Kefka. He was the central of the whole story.

Alcyone

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 05:59:39 am »
I'm not really looking forward to FFXIII. It sounds like it's going to be a lot like FFVII - which isn't surprising since that will probably make them a lot of money.

The characters sound really lame and stereotypical and the main character is a female version of Cloud.

Shiva will return and takes the form of a pair of sisters who can merge into a motorcycle, which the character Snow rides, and can use ice to create a path to drive on.

Wait... what?

Out of everything I know about this game so far, the only things I like are how the city looks and the pretty graphics. I'll probably play it when it comes out anyways. XD
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:01:26 am by Alcyone »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 09:48:24 pm »
Shiva will return and takes the form of a pair of sisters who can merge into a motorcycle, which the character Snow rides, and can use ice to create a path to drive on.

Wait... what?

Yeah, this sounds like a really, really dumb idea to me. But I was extremely pleased by FF XII, so I will give XIII the benefit of the doubt and buy it. Even if it does suck...I'm sure I'll keep coming back to the series anyways.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 10:49:32 pm »
Actually it will be very little like 12, they kinda are trying to emphasize 7.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 12:30:26 am »
What about the battle system? Please tell me they didn't go back to the way it used to be.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 06:58:36 am »
I can understand the "Lightning is a female Cloud" comparison (I think Nomura made it himself If I remember right), but I really don't see how everything else looks like FF7. 

FF7 was kinda techy, but this looks just plain futuristic.  How many airships were there in FF7?  The highwind and that WW2 looking plane that sunk underwater?  Go look at the ships in the trailer, that's completely different.

Yes, there appears to be a resistance thing going on here, and AVALANCHE was a resistance, but that's really a dumb comparison.  For one, Final Fantasy has had several "resistance" groups throughout the entire series (if I'm not mistaken, FFII was the first).  Two, the group appears to be a bit larger than AVALANCHE.  It looks more on par with FFVI's resistance group.

Yes, there's a guard scorpion-like boss in the trailer, I'll give you that.  Honestly though, I don't think that's a very good argument at all.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, the battle system.

From what we know it's supposed to be like Chrono Trigger (the devs made this comparison).  No battle transitions.  They also apparently ditched MP for some action point system or something.

This is mostly my speculation but from what it looks like in the trailer, they went back to FFX-2.  No free movement in battle (although no transitions as I mentioned).  It's ATBish, but characters and enemies all execute their attacks at the time of input rather than each attack happening one at a time.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:06:22 am by Sintu »

Alcyone

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:43 am »
What I meant is that they're obviously trying to give it the same feel as FFVII. I wish they'd try something more original again, but that probably won't happen for a while.

As for the battle system, from what I've heard you can only control one character. I don't think it's turn based at all.

Hmm... I wonder when they're going to stop adding numbers to each game and start giving them unique titles instead. It'd be kinda weird to see an FFXXIV.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 08:26:17 am »
I prefer the numbers.  With the amount of titles in the series, it is much easier to refer to them by a number than some unique name.

Alcyone

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 09:42:00 am »
Hm... True, but I can't see it staying like that forever.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 09:48:39 am »
Then again, only so few of the FF games have names, so Chap would be right in saying the numbers would be easier. And Alcyone, the method of using numbers to refer to the games is going to last forever, so long as FF2 through FF13 continue to exist. Even if they're re-released with names, the original versions are still going to bear the numbers.

Alcyone

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 09:57:04 am »
Err... well, obviously they wouldn't replace the numbers on already existing FF's with names in future releases. I just think it'd look kind of weird to see a series with... like... 30 numbered games. o.o I think I would start to forget which game is which. XD

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 09:58:14 am »
And with names it wouldn't be the same?

Alcyone

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 10:05:17 am »
Well, it would be the same. I just dunno if I can picture Square actually numbering them all like that. That's what I meant from the beginning. I guess I wasn't very clear about that. Not that any of this really matters anyways. I'm just speculating.