Author Topic: The RPG discussion thread (formerly Final Fantasy XIII)  (Read 10361 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 09:31:48 am »
I'm not excited about XIII after XII felt like too much of a stray away from the familiar gameplay. Good game, but... too different.

Development would be easier, faster & would get more fans if they went the DS route. FFIV DS already proved that SNES FF remake works just fine on DS (and I'm pretty sure there was voice acting as well).

There's a problem here. In an interview it was stated they had a really tough time just fitting everything onto the card, especially the voice acting (which was limited to about 20 short cutscenes). FFVI is generally way more huge than IV, so it may not be possible. Well, cutting out voice acting would probably solve it. Still, FFVDS is bound to turn up first. At least the SaGa II remake indicates they're doing something...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 01:53:20 pm »
SaGa II also indicates they're willing to skip a game. ;) I say forget about FFV for now. The peoples want FFVI. :lol:

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 01:55:43 pm »
...Good point!

I still can't see them skipping V, though... As much as I like it and all, the thought of a 3D voice-acted VI is so tempting.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »
Well, they skipped III during the GBA ports. So it wouldn't be surprising if they do it again for the current DS remakes.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 02:01:01 pm »
Maybe they could make it two...cards (I'm so unfamiliar what with my emulating)? FFVI: WoB & FFVI: WoR?

Well, they skipped III during the GBA ports. So it wouldn't be surprising if they do it again for the current DS remakes.

Don't forget in the PSX ports too!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 02:03:25 pm »
Maybe they could make it two...cards (I'm so unfamiliar what with my emulating)? FFVI: WoB & FFVI: WoR?

Divide the game in two? No!

I don't want to go Golden Sun all over again.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 02:10:36 pm »
I guess I didn't care for the free-roaming "but you have to wait your turn" gameplay style FFXII had. Your character is just running around like a lunatic half the time...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 02:14:55 pm »
They need to remake FF7 with voices, and get rid of those crappy Overworld sprites.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 02:17:22 pm »
same here thought it felt like they should have gone full action based or kept with there turn based standard. I did like the game still but it always was the long stretches of wandering and combat that turned me off, I want to beat that game some day.

They need to remake FF7 with voices, and get rid of those crappy Overworld sprites.
Is are little Shadow turning in to a graphics whore? Audio I can kinda of understand, but I like the audio in FFVII.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 02:24:41 pm »
I thought I heard there was a completely turn-based option in XII?

Audio was terrible in VII...wtf were they still using MIDI for??

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 02:28:45 pm »
Midi's can still be good if composed right, and that TB mode still wasn't perfect, it was as FW said you still run around in circles waiting for your turn.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 02:37:05 pm »
FFXII seemed to have a great story though -- I watched the cutscenes on Youtube and just loved the interplay between Basch and Judge Gabranth. Had the battle system been full-on action or some kind of turn-based style, I totally would have digged it. Uh, dug it.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 03:32:20 pm »
I guess I didn't care for the free-roaming "but you have to wait your turn" gameplay style FFXII had. Your character is just running around like a lunatic half the time...

That was my initial impression...but I was waiting to see if it got better with a group...but yea it doesn't add much to it...would be fine if they had it like Trigger, oddly enough, where you run into the monster, no transition but you stay put...the free-roam during battle seems a bit uselss.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 05:44:37 pm »
I worry incredibly that FFXIII is going to have the same battle system as FFXII. Well, maybe I'll get it just to have the model data on-hand like I did with XII...

If Square Enix isn't going to give us Chrono Break, they'd damn well better cash in on a 3D FF6 remake. I think I want that more than an FF7 remake.

Watch the video I posted in the very first post. It's has fighting in it. It's apparently like Fallout 2, but the series has always been doing this evolution. And I really don't think it's like Fallout 2.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »
That combat was NOTHING like fallout 2, really there was not resemblance at all. It looks more like the Star Ocean series combat.