Author Topic: Nu Smilies for the Compendium  (Read 3147 times)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: Nu Smilies for the Compendium
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:17 am »
Indeed, they are a touch on the... small side. What I suggest is that instead of removing the limbs (because then they turn into blue faces) you make them a bit bigger. I'd make a cute little facepalming Nu, but I don't have a graphics editing program handy. Paint does not count.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 11:21:31 am »
I like these, but like people are saying, they're a bit small, and I don't think cutting out the body is going to make them better, because a Nu is pretty much all body. I think maybe if you just increase the size to 25x25 or 30x30 that these will become much easier to see the expressions on.
The original nu graphics used in the actual CT game are all roughly 30x30 pixels.  Not only is this way too big, it also wouldn't make them very original, save for the few unique poses one would have to invent to fill in missing emotions.  Additionally, the larger a sprite is, the more difficult it is to work with and the more artistic skill it requires to keep looking good.  I am not particularly artistically talented.  Tell you what: why don't I give you a visual example of what a bunch of you are asking for here.

31x31 (original):
25x25:
20x20:
17x17:
15x15 (current):

Now look at how they each offset a block of text:

20x20:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

17x17:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

15x15:

See what I mean?  The ones larger than 15x15 create too big of a gap between lines.  The 17x17 size MIGHT be an acceptable gap for some people, but it still sticks out to me.  Also, moving up to 17x17 would invalidate and render worthless all of my work thus far.

And a nu without arms and legs is no longer a nu; it becomes a misshapen blue smiley.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:30:47 am by hiddensquire »

idioticidioms

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 11:28:19 am »
yeah, but at the same time, not all smilies here are 15x15, as you may have noticed with the picard faceslap. I'd say that 20x20 would be just big enough to still be able to see most facial expressions, without offsetting the text too much. (only by one line) I don't think that's going to be too much of an issue with people here, as long as they can see them.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:31 am »
People don't (or at least shouldn't) use the picard facepalm in conjunction with a large body of text (or sometimes any text at all).

idioticidioms

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 11:52:37 am »
true enough, but then most smilies are usually used at the start of a paragraph or the end of one.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 11:53:15 am »
15x15 is fine for me.
The font here is really small(since it is an English forum), so I guess that why the smilies are small too.
Although, you can make 2 versions, put the larger smilies under [more].

idioticidioms

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 11:57:40 am »
well... when you put it that way, I'm fine with them, too. I thought they had been posted for feedback purposes, so I gave feedback on them. Not to insult the work done on them or the person who created them. I think it's a great idea and a great set of smilies and I commend the person for working on them of their own volition.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:08 pm »
 :lol: Okay, Nu can be usable, just not the face smilies. Like I said, use Nu smilies when portraying things like "dance" or "walk" or yadda yadda. For other reasons, say, surprised or shocked or laughing, we can always use something else. xD Crono's face? Don't worry, we can add a whole bunch of different emoticons! Even Alfador, for crying out loud!

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 03:58:13 pm »
:lol: Okay, Nu can be usable, just not the face smilies. Like I said, use Nu smilies when portraying things like "dance" or "walk" or yadda yadda. For other reasons, say, surprised or shocked or laughing, we can always use something else. xD Crono's face? Don't worry, we can add a whole bunch of different emoticons! Even Alfador, for crying out loud!
You know, using a variety of sprites did cross my mind.  However, we'd still have the same sizing problem.  It would be even harder to make an expressive 15x15 Magus (or 15x9, given his proportions) than it was to make an expressive 15x15 nu.  Also, a smiley theme unified around a single face type is more visually appealing; organized rather than hodgepodge, y'know?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:03:27 pm by hiddensquire »