Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!  (Read 27759 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 03:14:30 pm »
WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT please

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »
I just wish there was more early concept art -- that's literally all there is. Other than that, it appears to read just like a gameplay guide, though an extremely thorough one at that.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 03:19:32 pm »
WANT WANT WA- wait, really?

...aw :(

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 03:22:40 pm »
I'd hate to think a bunch of other concept art got destroyed in the Kobe earthquake or anything. This is apparently the risk of having a bunch of creative talent sitting on a faultline.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 03:23:57 pm »
...aw :(

Your avatar interprets it well.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 03:49:16 pm »
Okay, I've just realized that we've got several people capable of translating from Japanese to English, including:

GlitterBerri
utunnels
ShikiGami
Magus22's friends
others who haven' shown up here yet

So we'll need to develop some kind of protocol for assigning translations so translators don't step on each other's toes. The following pages are highest priority as far as I can tell; Abel, let me know if you think other pages should be included.

*pp. 4-5, Table of Contents
*pp.408-409, the walkthrough portion covering the Darkness Beyond Time
*pp. 523-524, which contain boss descriptions for Evil Marle, Dalton in the DV, and Evil Crono.
*pp. 526-527, which contain boss descriptions for Evil Lucca and the Dream Devourer.
*p.581, which contains a blurb about the ending, the Dream Devourer, and Dalton in the Dimensional Vortex.
*pp.582-583, "Mail Interview" that may have juicy canonical details.
*pp.584-585, "Idea Sketch" pages already translated by ShikiGami. Let's get those little blurbs near the sketches translated too, if possible. Abel's providing better scans if quality of the scans I posted is an issue.

Of lower priority for now are:

pp.586-587, an interview with Yasunori Mitsuda
pp.22-39, with character descriptions for the main characters and all major NPCs. It sounds like a lot, but there's a bunch of stats and minor things thrown into the mix.

ZeaLitY's busy at the moment, so I'll act as the go-between for scans for the time being. Translators and friends of translators, post what you're most interested in and I'll send some scans your way via PM.

Sentou Ryoku

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »
No info yet on that 'major announcement'?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 07:38:54 pm »
What all was said about the "announcement"? We're also missing Benny Matsuyama's story. Hopefully a translation of the table of contents will lead us to these...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 07:48:51 pm »
The only really special thing was the last thing in this sentence from the promo:

Further included in the guide are developer interviews and an additional, "special" article that no "Chrono Trigger" fan can overlook.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »
Hohum. Well, lack-o-art disappointment aside, the sage character seems to strengthen the "Gaspar as a playable character" theory, and Proto-Robo and Monster guy look like the Mammon Machine when put together. Cool.

Abel

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I want to know. What am I? Who will define me?
    • View Profile
    • XenoTensei
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 08:07:46 pm »
I wonder if the special article they're referring to is the one with the 30 Q&A(?)/commentary portion.

#30 Talks about

Spoiler alert! (no spoiler tags here?)

...the anime ending scene with Lucca picking up baby Kid, Dalton being in the DV, and the greyed out secret end boss of CT DS, all the while talking about Chrono Cross (says it in katakana) for each.

I'm assuming it's talking about their relevance/connections to CC.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 11:42:30 pm »
I like his designs but I dunno about preferring them over the ones we have now.

Harro

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 05:15:03 am »
Thank you  for the translation.
Can I use your work to translate into French
I can understand chinese ( I am not a master, I 'am still learning) so if I can help   :P
but I see you don't need help  :mrgreen:

Edit: translation of the first page in French -->  http://www.monsterup.com/image.php?url=upload/1232896672.jpg
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:19:59 am by Harro »

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2009, 06:57:53 am »
YYYYYEEESSS, Kato did the art, and huge thanks to Shikigami for such a quick translation! I think this confirms that Masato Kato definitely worked on the Ninja Gaiden NES series as "Runmal." Ah, Kato, my entire childhood under your videogame tutelage...

Seriously. After Mario, I went straight into Ninja Gaiden, then Chrono Trigger, then FF7, then Xenogears, then Chrono Cross. And he was involved in all of those projects. Oh, except Mario.

As for a potential release of the scans, keep in mind that these are copyrighted images, and to scan the entire book and just release it would deprive Square Enix of some amount of Chrono revenue. What we'll probably do is make "scanlations" like what Shikigami did and release only translated images that contain new storyline information publicly. There's no way we'll get every single page of this baby scanned, and certainly no way we'll get it all translated.

Of course, this is all subject to how ZeaLitY wants to handle it, but this is what I predict will happen.

It's not available in our region so it's not like it's taking sales away.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2009, 12:50:39 pm »
Harro, it'd be great to get translations for the French community too. If anyone knows how to translate from Japanese to French, that's still progress for us because there's probably more people who can translate from French to English than from Japanese to English around here.

Not in our region Jutty, but a bilingual Japanese Chrono fan could easily walk in here and snatch the originals if we just let them float around in the forum. Don't worry, we'll do scanlations that will be released, as per Compendium custom.

Oh, translators, you do not necessarily have to take care of the scanlation; if we can just get text, those of us with image editors but lacking Japanese language skills can take care of the rest.