Author Topic: Computer troubles.  (Read 920 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Computer troubles.
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:58:38 pm »
My laptop is currently on the fritz, as I can not start it up due to it being stuck in an infernal loop of the following:

1)IBM startup screen
2)"Windows did not start succesfully ;last time, please select a configuration" screen
3)WIndows Startup screen
4)Blue screen telling me to run in safe mode

I've already tried safe mode, and I just get the same thing. I can get to my diagnostics but that's about it. Any advice?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Computer troubles.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 10:03:19 pm »
Run Knoppix for the time being, if at least to back up your data.

Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:29:21 pm »
You'll have to take a photo of the blue screen with a camera.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:59:37 pm »
Here's the screen, Ramsus. It only stays up for a few seconds, though, before reverting to the first screen.

RD, I'm not sure if I can run Knoppix, because I can't get to my desktop. Do I just boot the computer from the disc?

[attachment deleted by admin]

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 02:01:58 pm »
Looks like your boot HDD is dead... Though 'how' dead is the question; you *might* be able to access data using Knoppix, and then again, you might have to use professional services if your data is that important.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:07:17 pm by BROJ »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:07:34 pm »
Yup, I wouldn't be too surprised if the hard drive died...Unless you installed any new hardware--new RAM, perhaps?

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:20:06 pm »
I haven't installed any new hardware, ever, and I've only had the computer for a few months.

The data on the computer isn't really all that important, but regardless of data loss can I still repair it so that it'll be operational again?

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:34:46 pm »
I haven't installed any new hardware, ever, and I've only had the computer for a few months.

The data on the computer isn't really all that important, but regardless of data loss can I still repair it so that it'll be operational again?
Define "operational".

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 02:38:17 pm »

Define "operational".

Operate as a normal computer would, i.e. open and access files, browse the internet, run programs, etc.

A friend of mine who's an IT guy for the company he works for however has said he could get the hard drive replaced, or just hook me up with a new computer in general has offered to do so, so I might be able to fix the problem that way.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 02:43:58 pm »

Define "operational".

Operate as a normal computer would, i.e. open and access files, browse the internet, run programs, etc.

A friend of mine who's an IT guy for the company he works for however has said he could get the hard drive replaced, or just hook me up with a new computer in general has offered to do so, so I might be able to fix the problem that way.
I'd go with that, then. See if you can't access the data using a boot disc of sorts such as Knoppix. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD before the primary HDD, though.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 02:45:54 pm »
Will do. Thanks for the help.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 02:47:30 pm »
Here's the screen, Ramsus. It only stays up for a few seconds, though, before reverting to the first screen.

RD, I'm not sure if I can run Knoppix, because I can't get to my desktop. Do I just boot the computer from the disc?

Yeah, you burn a Knoppix iso to a disk and boot from that. It's a self contained Linux operating system. I keep a disk handy for whenever my Windows build refuses to boot, a problem I haven't had since moving from 2k to XP Pro.

Ramsus

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 09:47:14 pm »
Something happened the last time you shut down or tried booting that corrupted the file system, but the hardware is probably working fine (considering it did start to boot into Windows, and it's a new computer).

If it's a brand-name computer, what model and brand is it? Usually it's on a sticker on the back or underneath.

If you built it yourself, then make sure you have your Windows CD and get back to us.

Ramsus

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 09:58:52 pm »
The basic things you need to do now:

Start into a recovery console from your Windows installation CD (select R for repair after booting it) and type the following two commands:

chkdsk c: /r /p
fixmbr

Then reboot.

The first command checks the filesystem for errors and fixes them for you. The the second command makes sure the part of the HDD that says which partition to boot is set to boot directly into Windows (which it probably is already if Windows can boot and show a blue screen, but just in case we'll run it anyway).

If that doesn't fix your problem, check the time in the BIOS to make sure it's correct. Try booting one more time and then re-install Windows, because if it hasn't worked yet your filesystem is broken beyond repair.

Now if you have a brand-name computer and you don't have a Windows installation CD, we can look up the manufacturer's solution on their website. They should have some way to fix it, and if not, you can always send it in on warranty.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:00:28 pm by Ramsus »

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 10:56:39 pm »
I can't quite make it out, but does it say 0x000000ED for the first parameter? If it does the OS itself was damaged and needs to be repaired.

Also, it would seem I misspoke earlier, Tact. Your HDD isn't dead, per se, but rather the contents were corrupted as Ramsus said. I don't think it is a partition problem, but rather a logical error in Windows.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:07:43 pm by BROJ »