Author Topic: Who won? Magus or Frog?  (Read 4281 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Who won? Magus or Frog?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 09:32:53 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of (dying at the hands of) Lavos (though since it's New Game+ & Frog beating Magus is possible, then maybe Magus could beat Lavos!)...>_>

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 02:15:34 am »
Magus CAN beat Lavos by himself.  You can find that on Youtube.  :)
Seriously though, I do think this ending is meant to be ambiguous.  I've always believed Glenn to have won, but it's open to interpretation.

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 02:17:09 am »
Then again, Glenn does have the Grandleon. Can anyone attempt to hack a Glenn-VS-Magus solo in the castle to see who would win? BTW, retries are not permitted. If you lose, it's Magus.

If you really want, then sure.  I've already done a Magus vs Magus.  Or you could just let Glenn's two comrades die early on and see who wins then.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 02:21:04 am »
Magus CAN beat Lavos by himself.  You can find that on Youtube.

That's in-game statistics, which is unacceptable here.

Just because someone could kick Lavos' ass with just Magus doesn't mean "0/\/\6 /\/\@6U$ c@|\| t0t@11y p\/\/|\| 1@\/0$" is true.

What we're looking for is if Magus really could kick Lavos' ass on his own if these events were real instead of just another fight in an RPG game.

Then again, Glenn does have the Grandleon. Can anyone attempt to hack a Glenn-VS-Magus solo in the castle to see who would win? BTW, retries are not permitted. If you lose, it's Magus.

If you really want, then sure.  I've already done a Magus vs Magus.  Or you could just let Glenn's two comrades die early on and see who wins then.

1. Try not to double-post. We have an Edit button, y'know.

2. Hack it since letting the comrades die won't cut it.

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 02:30:47 am »
That's in-game statistics, which is unacceptable here.

Just because someone could kick Lavos' ass with just Magus doesn't mean "0/\/\6 /\/\@6U$ c@|\| t0t@11y p\/\/|\| 1@\/0$" is true.

What we're looking for is if Magus really could kick Lavos' ass on his own if these events were real instead of just another fight in an RPG game.

You must have missed the two indicators that I wasn't being serious.  1.  smileyface  2. follow up phrase of "Seriously though".  I wasn't suggesting that as a true answer here.  Sheesh.

"1. Try not to double-post. We have an Edit button, y'know."
I'm running on 32+ hours without sleep, normally wouldn't double post.  Sorry.

"2. Hack it since letting the comrades die won't cut it."
Agreed but the last time I suggested hacking, THAT was shot down as being unacceptable (unrelated post).

Here's how to "hack it" (actually use PAR codes) to achieve.  These instructions assume you have an endgame savestate so modify as needed.
1. Open any savestate with Glenn in character slot 1. Go to Truce 1000 AD.
2. Enter this PAR code, which resets game events: 7F000089
3. Enter the Truce Market, then enter these codes: C0102CDA, C09B47FF
4. Walk around in circles for a bit. You'll eventually appear in a wall in Magus' Castle. Walk thru the wall to an exit at the left. Enter it, then turn the codes from (3) off.
5. Get to Magus. When you see the line "Frog: MAGUS!!", enter these codes: 7E2981EE, 7E2982EE.

[Edit] Thinking this over, I realized it'd also be possible to do this WITHOUT an endgame savestate.  I haven't tested, but if you simply do step (5) during normal game events, you should achieve the same results.  This also has the advantage that Glenn will have more comparable stats (ie his stats won't be from much later in the game).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:35:32 am by BFG »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 02:36:57 am »
:picardno

1. I wasn't the one who struck it down. Sorry for not knowing.

2. I won't ask you to get rid of the codes, since someone might do it. It just won't be me since I don't have the necessary... materials, to do it with.

3. I try not to haggle, but most of the time, I plead ignorance to what problems might cause double-posting. I'm too used to getting yelled at myself for it.

4. I also plead ignorance to your joking manner.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:38:49 am by Shadow D. Darkman »

BFG

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 02:40:08 am »
:picardno

1. I wasn't the one who struck it down. Sorry for not knowing.

2. I won't ask you to get rid of the codes, since someone might do it. It just won't be me since I don't have the necessary... materials, to do it with.

No worries!  No way you could have known (or needed to honestly).  I do have the necessary "materials" (real, not emulated) if no one else is interested in testing this out. 

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 02:46:17 am »
By all means, go for it!

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 04:30:12 am »
While the end shadow has an air of ambiguity to it, the pose itself doesn't match up with any of Magus' prior stances, nor is their any hair fluttering despite the cape flowing.  Either human form spite model Glenn or Magus would have longer hair to flow with the same flutter that effects the cape, plus the head shape and proportion seems to also indicate its not either of those.  I'm shootin' for Frog being the victor up there.  He might necessarily have killed Magus in the fight itself (that end sound 'magic' wave does have an interesting blip at the end of it) but I think its more implied that Frog fought enough to be satisfied that he would be the victor.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 04:48:31 am »
Well, in fact, they switched bodies. :picardno
So Magus killed Frog, changed to his look and sneaked into Guardia and had lurked there since then, until...

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 11:28:27 am »
I believe it's Frog.  The head shape does seem more like a Frog then anything else..

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 05:32:07 pm »
Quote from: Rule 32
You must have pictures to prove your statements.

QFT.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 12:30:36 am »
I believe Frog won, because by Horii's (I believe) description, New Game Plus is time travel. Frog would have been much more powerful than Magus, as only Magus from an alternate timeline would be Ignorant enough to summon Lavos and fight it  himself. Therefore, Magus is weak, and Frog Pwns all. That, folks, is my 2 cents.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 02:14:32 pm »
What you call ignorance, I call confidence & determination!

Quote from: Rule 32
You must have pictures to prove your statements.

QFT.

No you don't: The moon is round. See? If it's a statement of a generally known object/scenario/whatever then the proof is in the people's memory.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 02:23:37 pm »
Ah, but the Magus who travelled with Crono and company to defeat Lavos in the Original timeline would be smart enough to know that he could not defeat Lavos by himself, thus not  summoning him. That must of been a different Magus.