Author Topic: Influential Compendium Members  (Read 3134 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Influential Compendium Members
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 07:18:33 pm »
The Compendium has always favored deeds over actors. I think this lets us get more done.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 07:28:20 pm »
And Eiji Aonuma. That f***er kept so many secrets from us in LoZ:TP, and almost had me feel like he'd been leading us on about Ganon being in the game (I was specific about how he was gonna appear, as Ganon, or as Ganondorf, or both. Turns out it was both). Hell, he should've at least mentioned Zant.

[/ranting]

All that aside, these people think that if someone finds out a big plot point (like if before that interview with Aonuma someone like, say, T.K. found out that the robed person was Zelda) then they're not gonna want to play the game. IMO, it don't mean shit. In fact, if I knew about Zant in TP before he was first displayed (IDK if he ever got looked at before the game came out), I would only want to play TP more b/c of it. These people think that if they already know about it, then there's no point in the actual experience. Me, that's the only thing that spoilers do NOT take away from me, the actual experience. I watched my brother fight Ganondorf long before I got to him, before I even fought Zant, and you know what? I couldn't wait until I fought him myself. Honestly, people are so f***ing retarded these days.

[/ranting] (again)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 07:37:58 pm »
And Eiji Aonuma. That f***er kept so many secrets from us in LoZ:TP, and almost had me feel like he'd been leading us on about Ganon being in the game (I was specific about how he was gonna appear, as Ganon, or as Ganondorf, or both. Turns out it was both). Hell, he should've at least mentioned Zant.

[/ranting]

All that aside, these people think that if someone finds out a big plot point (like if before that interview with Aonuma someone like, say, T.K. found out that the robed person was Zelda) then they're not gonna want to play the game. IMO, it don't mean shit. In fact, if I knew about Zant in TP before he was first displayed (IDK if he ever got looked at before the game came out), I would only want to play TP more b/c of it. These people think that if they already know about it, then there's no point in the actual experience. Me, that's the only thing that spoilers do NOT take away from me, the actual experience. I watched my brother fight Ganondorf long before I got to him, before I even fought Zant, and you know what? I couldn't wait until I fought him myself. Honestly, people are so f***ing retarded these days.

[/ranting] (again)

Would you have enjoyed The Sixth Sense as much if you knew Bruce Willis was dead?
Would Metal Gear Solid have been as memorable if The Genome Project was on the back of the box?
Would every episode of CSI be as great if you knew the killer from the start?

Face it, spoilers aren't fun. There's nothing like getting blown away by a really great twist.

Spoilers aren't fun, And Shadow loves spoilers, so in effect of continuation; Shadow hates fun.

Case closed.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 08:24:18 pm »
Brother, read the text under my avvie.

Personally I just think the whole
Quote from: A Random Spoiler-Hater (No One In Particular)
0H |\|03z @ $P0i13R 73H P107 H@Z B33|\| RUi|\|3D |\|0\/\/ i D0|\|7 \/\/@|\||\|@ P1@Y 73H 6@/\/\3 @|\|Y/\/\0R3
thing is bullshit.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 08:25:37 pm »
...I certainly can't call up an urge to LOCKE it or anything...V_V

That was horrible, Trans. Let's hope for your sake that you don't pursue a comedy career, to spare you from having to come home wearing tomatoes and whatnot. :lol:

As a fledging comic...I performed in VA, DC, and FL, and CA soon.  There is nothing worse than bombing.  Nothing.  I've been there, and it's an awful feeling.  But when one of your jokes lands and you nail it, even if there are only 6 people watching you (yea...I've been there too) there's nothing better.

THANKFULLY the tomato tradition seems to have been dropped.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 08:25:49 pm »
Just because one thinks so, doesn't mean they should throw it out there and completely ruin it for people who don't want to read it.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 08:31:28 pm »
Just because one thinks so, doesn't mean they should throw it out there and completely ruin it for people who don't want to read it.

Hence, the fact that whenever they do that I tell them this.

Quote from: Me
If you don't like it, then don't read it, but DON'T FUCKING BITCH ABOUT IT!!!

Truth be told, I say that about a lot of things, but spoilers is top-ranked.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I support the use of spoiler tags.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 08:33:17 pm »
You can't just say "DON'T READ IT OH EM GEE!".  Humans have a natural curiosity, if something clearly says "DON'T DO THIS!!!11!1", people will.  It's something that really can't be avoided.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 08:38:40 pm »
In that case it's their own fault. Besides what I meant by spoiler tags (as in me supporting them) is saying in the title that there are spoilers in there. Keeps the whiners out.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 08:43:31 pm »

Wait... Isn't it better Zant wasn't mentioned? Keeping secrets from the players is a good strategy, by the way; it means you're going into the game with less of an idea what's going to happen. I can't see how that's a bad thing.

I'd like to say Aonuma taking over really made a huge improvement to the Zelda series. Sure the games were already great to begin with (my favourite is ALttP, for instance), but he really gave it that amazing feel that began in, say, Majora's Mask. While I'm aware he worked on OoT as well, it wasn't till MM that he got huge control over the games, and it really shows how much of a difference he makes.

TP, however, I'm on the fence about. While it was fun, it felt rushed and too short for a game hyped up to be "the biggest Zelda yet". There was a lot of cut material, and when you see these things in old screenshots you wonder what the extra year delay was for. Apparently it was for the Wii version to be made, but really, look at those beautiful locations they dropped/altered - Hyrule Market? Used to be HUGE, with over 100 NPCs walking along on-screen at once. Now look at the final version. It's like a fucking step backward. To be honest, I found TP to be really enjoyable, but there was a lot of wasted opportunity; the Wiimote ideas suggested in a magazine I read were really clever, and now of them were in the final game. Throwing bombs with the Wiimote, pulling back the remote for the bow, swinging bottles to catch things, physically deciding your style of sword swing...

Zant was great though, what a fucking nutcase.

Wait, this is the Influential thread? Jesus Shadow, why are onto a Zelda discussion?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 09:14:33 pm »
I can't see how that's a bad thing.

I never said it was bad, I merely said it doesn't matter if you know what's gonna happen. Either way, it's still one hell of a thing to actually experience it. I'd already seen Wolf Link and already I knew it was gonna be a good game.

My beef is with the general reaction to spoilers, as seen in Leet above.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 09:18:39 pm »

Most people (including me) can't stand spoilers because they often ruin the surprise and the feel of a story.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 09:32:39 pm »
Holy hell Shadow if I saw you in real life talking to me like you do every day online I would probably punch your teeth in.

You are not seventeen. There is no way that you are seventeen.

Let this be the end of the off topic posts.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »

Most people (including me) can't stand spoilers because they often ruin the surprise and the feel of a story.

*nod* And I respect that, as long as those among you who are extremists in the belief keep their flames out.

EDIT: This was in reply to Pyt's post.

Now the off-topics may end.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:34 pm »
Would you have enjoyed The Sixth Sense as much if you knew Bruce Willis was dead?
Would Metal Gear Solid have been as memorable if The Genome Project was on the back of the box?
Would every episode of CSI be as great if you knew the killer from the start?

Face it, spoilers aren't fun. There's nothing like getting blown away by a really great twist.

Case closed.

I disagree. A truly well written plot does not rely on the suspense of the hidden, but in a clever construction. Yeah, you mention a few examples (to answer, yes, I did know he was; I've never played MGS; and as for CSI... well, Columbo did that, and it works out just fine.) But what about the Iliad? Everyone knew Hektor was going to die from the start. But does it make it any less brilliant?

Spoilers shouldn't matter. If they do, it's because there's something inferior in the plotting that neccessitates too much support on unforeseen turns.

There's nothing like getting blown away by a great twist? I disagree. To get blown away by seeing the inevitable happen far outmatches it. To watch the progression of a character. The one is a cheap, momentary thrill. The other, a lasting impact.