Author Topic: MSNBC - Best DS games of the year  (Read 3637 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: MSNBC - Best DS games of the year
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 01:15:45 am »
Yeah, real sad sight that one of the best RPGs (/GAME) of all time finally go handheld (not to mention finally get a PAL release)...along with a few "bells & whistles" that answer a few questions that have been lingering in fans' minds for those 13 years...>_>

Next year's list will be far more impressive though, even for such a big pessimist as you seem...:lol:

Molotov

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • SDA Chrono Cross page.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:04 am »
Yeah, real sad sight that one of the best RPGs (/GAME) of all time finally go handheld (not to mention finally get a PAL release)...along with a few "bells & whistles" that answer a few questions that have been lingering in fans' minds for those 13 years...>_>

Next year's list will be far more impressive though, even for such a big pessimist as you seem...:lol:

Please don't misunderstand what I mean. As far as I know (which isn't saying much really), the main game itself is still the exact same as it was in 1995. Sure, there is some added content in there, but the meat and potatoes are still old...no? That's what I meant when I said that.

Not to say it isn't a good game (it clearly is, just outrageously overrated), but for an SNES game to be slapped onto a DS and then put into a "top 10 DS games of 2008" list is just absurd to me. A remake would make sense, but not a port + a few bonuses. What this really points at, to me, is a weak DS library...which is why I mentioned "Horsez."

As for next year, I've already owned a copy of Shin Ankoku since August. Therefore, the U.S. release isn't a huge deal for me. :P

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 05:29:52 am »
I was half joking...but I personally count an updated translation as quite an addition (especially for such a Woosley'd mess as CT was)...Plus, CT didn't get the enhanced ports that FFI-VI got, so it makes sense that it would progress in the same manner, I think...Besides the fact that the game really hasn't been around for such a long time and that I think they just underestimate interest in the series.

I think the DS library is great...Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, The World Ends With You, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Disgaea, Mega Man ZX, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff, New Super Mario Bros., Trauma Center: Under the Knife, the Phoenix Write & Apollo Justice games, etc...

And getting bigger & meatier with a Suikoden, a Valkyrie Profile, a Tales of..., a Phantasy Star, a Shining Force, several more Dragon Quests (including the next installment), and even a sequel to the XBOX RPG Blue Dragon all on the horizon (Valkyrie Profile: The Accused One, both anime & CG versions of Tales of Hearts & Suikoden Tierkreis are already out in Japan as of now)...

If nothing else, the DS is shaping up to be the RPG powerhouse console of this generation...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:54:44 am by V_Translanka »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:20 am »
You forgot Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, bro. First time since Symphony of the Night that you fight the fake CV3 heroes.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 08:52:02 am »
Yeah, for a couple games I only included one in the series (mostly because I haven't played one or the other tbh), Trauma Center has a sequel as does Mega Man ZX...Speaking of which, I was a fan of the Mega Man Battle Networks, so I also enjoy the Mega Man Star Force games that are for DS (3rd round of that series is coming out soon)...I also forgot Metal Slug 7.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:55:28 am by V_Translanka »

The Prophet

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »
I totally agree with them, they know what their saying.

Nezz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 08:39:58 pm »
Again, MSNBC, that's like Spike having a video game award show. Oh wait, never mind.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 01:36:01 pm »
Metal Slug 7 was on DS?  The hell.  How did I miss that.