Poll

Which name for Frog's sword is better?

Masamune
28 (58.3%)
Grandleon
13 (27.1%)
New name (might be applied to the JPN version AND the English version)
0 (0%)
New name (JPN version only)
0 (0%)
New name (English version only)
1 (2.1%)
We should be allowed to name it.
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Masamune or Grandleon?  (Read 9342 times)

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: Masamune or Grandleon?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2009, 03:57:37 am »
Masamune is probably the best name, but I think it would be cool if you could name it.

Nice idea, so perhaps someone should make a rom hack contains this feature. LOL
You can name Cyan's SwdTechs in FF6...it would be COOL if you can do same things in CT. :shock:
Maybe we can call a character rename screen in CT and save the value somewhere else?
If ever it's going to be a long time before I have the skill anywhere near to make a rom.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 06:18:02 am »
Maybe we can call a character rename screen in CT and save the value somewhere else?

That's definitely possible, but it would be limited to 5 letters. Justin is working on a 7-letter name patch, but even then Masamune has 8 letters.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2009, 03:11:30 pm »

That's definitely possible, but it would be limited to 5 letters. Justin is working on a 7-letter name patch, but even then Masamune has 8 letters.

Hacking the naming screen to save more letters is the easy part. The hard part would be storing and recalling the Masamune's name.

I can think of two options.

1) We'd need to be able to call a copy of the naming screen code for items, store all item names in memory, and hack the routines that load item names to read from the new location... The hardest part would be finding enough space in memory to store the new item names.

2) Create a custom naming screen code for the Masamune, and hack every routine that loads item names to check for the Masamune's name in memory. This would simplify memory storage, but require more hacking.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2009, 03:57:32 pm »
The extension of the names is easy, it's just there really is no room beyond 7 letters in battle until we get a working VWF routine going.  Once that works, at least 14 characters for naming works in there.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2009, 11:51:54 am »
i like masamune. that's what i grew up with. grandleon sounds french. frog is not french.

and as far as translation differences, i prefer the differences. to me, woolsley's (sp) translation is the best, as it was the first to let us in america peek into this otherwise unaccessable japanese treasure...i have not played the DS version, so i have no opinion of that one yet.

i like to think of woolsley as ONE of the creators, as he's the one that made it so I can play it. he "wrote" the AMERICAN version of the script.

that is to say, if not for good old ted, i wouldn't be posting here right now, and the compendium probably wouldn't exist.

1) It sounds like the only reason you like the Woosley version is because of your intense feelings of nostalgia...>_>, 2) If Woosley was hired as a writer to adapt the Japanese script I could agree with you, but he was a TRANSLATOR and a translator's job, first & foremost, is to translate what is written down in one language into a different language. I think part of me, being a creator (writing, art, whatever), doesn't like the idea of localizations because it's like someone trying to describe a painting they saw to someone else and just making stuff up about how it looks because the people might not think it's as pretty where he's from, & 3) I'm fairly sure translators other than Woosley existed so even without him CT would have been fine...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2009, 12:37:08 pm »
i like masamune. that's what i grew up with. grandleon sounds french. frog is not french.

and as far as translation differences, i prefer the differences. to me, woolsley's (sp) translation is the best, as it was the first to let us in america peek into this otherwise unaccessable japanese treasure...i have not played the DS version, so i have no opinion of that one yet.

i like to think of woolsley as ONE of the creators, as he's the one that made it so I can play it. he "wrote" the AMERICAN version of the script.

that is to say, if not for good old ted, i wouldn't be posting here right now, and the compendium probably wouldn't exist.

1) It sounds like the only reason you like the Woosley version is because of your intense feelings of nostalgia...>_>, 2) If Woosley was hired as a writer to adapt the Japanese script I could agree with you, but he was a TRANSLATOR and a translator's job, first & foremost, is to translate what is written down in one language into a different language. I think part of me, being a creator (writing, art, whatever), doesn't like the idea of localizations because it's like someone trying to describe a painting they saw to someone else and just making stuff up about how it looks because the people might not think it's as pretty where he's from, & 3) I'm fairly sure translators other than Woosley existed so even without him CT would have been fine...

My point was he was the first one to get the story to us.
Well at least there's no "All your base are belong to us" type stuff.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:00 pm »
I prefer Masamune. It sounds cooler.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 03:32:23 am »

I picked Grandleon for a couple of reasons:

1) I always liked original Japanese translations (I still prefer "sub" over "dub")
2) Masamune is refers to a katana, not a broadsword (Which this particular sword was)
3) Gorō Nyūdō Masamune was actual person, not just a legend.

Trivia: The Japanese translation for "Grand Dream" is subarashii yume

Kudos to whoever can legitimately give a sword that name.