Author Topic: Question - Seiken Densetsu(Holy Sword Legend)  (Read 632 times)

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Question - Seiken Densetsu(Holy Sword Legend)
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:22 pm »
Just a question about this peticular series.

I've played and beaten Final Fantasy Adventure(and it's remake Sword of Mana), played through most of Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Legend of Mana, I've noticed that they always involve some holy sword(obviously, from the japanese title) and noticed that the Mana games that I have already played had also involved a 'Mana Tree' to be the source of all life. I would play the newer installments, but alas I simply don't have to time with having other games to play(especially MMORPG's) and getting a 2nd job for a college that I'm applying for.. Real life sucks! Anyhow, I'd like to know for those who have bothered playing the newer games, to confirm if the newer games have a Mana Tree element (with its denizen being a Goddess/Female from a certain tribe) in their storyline.

My reason? I've just come up with an idea for a short fanfic for the Mana series with a dash of Star Trek spice.. and a little sumthin-sumthin on the side. :) Hopefully someone will reply to me soon with an answer before my idea takes a hike. lol

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Question - Seiken Densetsu(Holy Sword Legend)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:57:08 pm »
www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

But seriously, I think they all do...but really, I think you can scrap most of the other games as being just spin-offs that you don't need to include in canon (I may be wrong though since the SD series isn't my most knowledgable series)...Most of the ones after SD3 (& from what I've heard Legend as well) aren't very good...and aren't even the same genre! It might be a good idea to skim over the wikipedia entries or something...I know that Heroes of Mana (a RTS-style game for NDS) is a prequel (by a hundred or so years I think?) to SD3, though...

Anyways, this is as good a place as any to say Secret of Mana's available for Virtual Console now! I guess that means we won't be getting a remake any time soon (and thus no official English SD3 release either...V_V)...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:59:21 pm by V_Translanka »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »
Aye, the SD2 Virtual Console port is something to get giddy about...I thought it was a good indication that we might see an official SD3 release, but that's just me.

Anyhow, yeah, the staple of the Mana series are the Mana Tree and, to a lesser extent, the Mana Sword. They recur in just about all the games released so far. But if you're gonna do a fanfic, try putting it between SD3 and SD2--those are easily the hallmarks of the series.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:07:21 pm »
Really? I thought a remake/enhanced port (ala the oldschool FFs & Chrono Trigger) would be a better indication of further interest in the series by SE...A VC release seems more like a, "Meh, here ya go, this is what we got, we don't really care, but we'll take what little you'll give us for it for those of you not already emulating it"...

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:10:48 pm »
Yeah, I could see how that makes sense--an enhanced port is definitely a better indication of faith in the series, but a VC port shows that there's some interest in the series. And, in terms of resources, I'd expect porting it to the Wii to be easier...who am I kidding though, I have no fucking clue about game mechanics or all this console hoopla.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:02:30 pm »
Thanks for the answer, now I can start my fanfic. I was pondering on which section of fanfiction.net to post it under, I had thought of SD2(Secret of Mana), but not SD3 since it wasn't translated(hopefully one day it will) into other languages and imported to NA/EU. Only people that have noticed SD3 at one point, were probably looking for a ROM for Secret of Mana at the same time.. I remember the day when I tried downloading Secret of Mana at school with 10 other people and we discovered SD3, played it and wondering if it was part of Secret of Mana since it played very similar to it. :)

Thanks again!

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:10:52 pm »
Yeah, there's always the unofficial English ROM of SD3, but I'd definitely post the fanfic under SD2--more people probably consider it the game that got the series of its feet.

Anyhow good luck with it, hopefully we'll see something good.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:48:34 pm »
www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

But seriously, I think they all do...but really, I think you can scrap most of the other games as being just spin-offs that you don't need to include in canon (I may be wrong though since the SD series isn't my most knowledgable series)...Most of the ones after SD3 (& from what I've heard Legend as well) aren't very good...and aren't even the same genre! It might be a good idea to skim over the wikipedia entries or something...I know that Heroes of Mana (a RTS-style game for NDS) is a prequel (by a hundred or so years I think?) to SD3, though...

Anyways, this is as good a place as any to say Secret of Mana's available for Virtual Console now! I guess that means we won't be getting a remake any time soon (and thus no official English SD3 release either...V_V)...

Link appears to be broken ;)

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:41:28 am »
I'm roughly half way done. I suppose my 'short fanfic' won't be so short. lol

Some of you guys "might" like it.