Author Topic: Proverbs or common wisdom you disagree with  (Read 1580 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Proverbs or common wisdom you disagree with
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 03:55:34 am »
If you can still dig you're not at rock bottom...

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:10:59 am »
One good turn deserves another.

I hate it because apparently most people in the world tend to ignore that advice and just be complete douche nozzles.
I also hate it because I am a slave to it. I must do good.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 09:17:44 am »
Uh, is that what that one means...? I thought it means that if you do something & it turns out good, you might as well do it again or something...Like if you were to place a bet and it works out...

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 04:27:52 am »
Nah it means that if you do something nice, it'll eventually come back to you for the better.

Hardly ever happens.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 12:18:47 pm »
I thought it meant something more along the lines of you did something nice for me, so I'll do something nice for you.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 01:30:08 pm »
I thought it meant something more along the lines of you did something nice for me, so I'll do something nice for you.
Personally, I think the aforementioned proverb is rather self-centered, in that ultimately it focuses on motivation rather than the ecological preservation of those around you. Though, if taken in a different matter, it is intuitive─one who has been done better can serve one's community more effectively than one who has not.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 03:13:58 pm »
Personally, I think the aforementioned proverb is rather self-centered, in that ultimately it focuses on motivation rather than the ecological preservation of those around you. Though, if taken in a different matter, it is intuitive─one who has been done better can serve one's community more effectively than one who has not.

Perhaps, and yet it might be very old, from a culture in which such thinking was standard, say, the ancient Greeks. Indeed, from its formulation, it may come from one of Aisop's fables. I'm not sure, but it seems to echo similar sentiments. See, we tend to believe, for the most part, that one should not go eye for an eye. Yet to the Greeks a person was best if they were good to their friends, and wicked to their enemies. This concept of reciprocal action was very prevalent, even in their relations with their gods. As many other ancient religions, it was very much a 'I do this for you, so you should do this for me' sort of relationship. So I think Thought is right regarding the intent of the proverb. It's just saying 'if someone's done something nice for you, you should be nice back.'

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 03:41:54 pm »

Perhaps, and yet it might be very old, from a culture in which such thinking was standard, say, the ancient Greeks. Indeed, from its formulation, it may come from one of Aisop's fables. I'm not sure, but it seems to echo similar sentiments. See, we tend to believe, for the most part, that one should not go eye for an eye. Yet to the Greeks a person was best if they were good to their friends, and wicked to their enemies. This concept of reciprocal action was very prevalent, even in their relations with their gods. As many other ancient religions, it was very much a 'I do this for you, so you should do this for me' sort of relationship. So I think Thought is right regarding the intent of the proverb. It's just saying 'if someone's done something nice for you, you should be nice back.'
Fair enough, but I still hold the inverse, "I do this for you, so you should do this for me", is egocentric, at best.

All the same Daniel, if you'll allow me:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=6230.msg117459#msg117459

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 06:55:06 pm »
Fair enough, but I still hold the inverse, "I do this for you, so you should do this for me", is egocentric, at best.

I'd agree with you. Interesting that in some cases, being egocentric is an improvement ;)