Author Topic: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.  (Read 8223 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 04:33:52 pm »
Yeah, thankfully we have a DS somewhere in my apartment, but even if we didn't I'd buy CTDS for the same reason: the probability that they're looking at the sales figures to determine what to do next with the series is more than enough of a reason for me to buy the game.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 02:43:36 am »
Well I will say this.

For both of the SNES emulators available for the DS, there are far too many graphical glitches for the game to be enjoyable .

I've tried many a time, even getting physically stuck in some areas because of glitches.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 12:53:45 pm »
Yeah, most emulators for the handheld systems aren't perfect, especially with the DS. But like I said, technically you can still play CT on the DS, it'd just be a complete injustice to the game itself. Which is why a game like CTDS should do extremely well, in my opinion.

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:49 pm »
(Quite odd how I'm back from the dead solely for CTDS)

A Chrono Cross Remake would be great.

But, I'd prefer a port of Radical Dreamers. I know it's not part of the main continuity anymore and that one attempt to have it as an easter egg was brushed aside because Kato thought it felt "incomplete", but I would love to see it again. Whether anyone likes it or not, Radical Dreamers is still a Chrono game that deserves alot more respect than it gets.

Celestial Insanity

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 11:44:12 am »
Indeed, a CC port would be quite nice (perhaps the idea should be proposed to Squenix) and could probably benefit on either handheld, although I'm not entirely convinced the game can rightfully escape the DS' limitations. It isn't the graphics bothering me so much as it is the music; Does anyone think it may sound a bit compressed?

While I'm fully aware that CC can already be played on the PSP, I've been a little hesitant on that method because of various potential glitches and me believing that the setup would only be further complicated than other games due to the fact that CC is two discs instead of one. Also, no experience here with that, so you can imagine I'd have a fairly difficult time.

Either way, I no longer have CT and CC pretty much got destroyed (long story, there), so it's been a long time since I've played either game. CTDS should prevent me from worrying too much over CC, but I really do love both installments almost equally. The only solution at this point lies with ordering online, methinks.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 07:12:57 pm »
You know, now that we're talking about a CC port, I feel that Square could possibly include Radical Dreamers as a little bonus. If you finish CC, it unlocks an unmodified (albeit translated) version of RD to play on the PSP. That would be pretty satisfying to a lot of people and I think fans would appreciate it pretty highly.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 07:37:14 pm »
Yeah, too bad Kato doesn't seem to see it that way...I don't think we'll ever see an official English release of RD.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »
And on the off chance that he did, the probability that Square essentially gives away this game is so low. If we were lucky we would get a demo, and a possible full-release as a Wii download or a separate DS game.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 01:34:07 am »
I certainly hope not.  I think cross weakened the chrono-series and would rather see it recanon-ized (sort of like what happened to radical dreamers) or simply left to rot on the playstation as the series bastard child.

Umaro

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 08:56:59 pm »
I could see a Chrono Cross remake happening. There's probably a small but real chance we could see Radical Dreamers as a download or an easter egg within a Cross remake(Honestly, RD probably wouldn't sell well on its own). As for reviving the series, as much as I'd love to believe that, I doubt it. All we ever hear is how hard it is to get the Chrono team together; everyone wants to work on other things; FFXI takes up a lot of time; etc.. I think if they really wanted to make a another Chrono game, they'd have done it already. CT and CC sold well enough. The best we can probably hope for is a Cross remake.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 01:15:41 pm »
I certainly hope not.  I think cross weakened the chrono-series and would rather see it recanon-ized (sort of like what happened to radical dreamers) or simply left to rot on the playstation as the series bastard child.

Yeah and it's so nice you give all these good arguments

Btw without Cross there is no "series"

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 05:28:31 pm »
What, didn't Cross recanon-ize RD? I'm not sure I follow you there Xenterex...

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:53 pm »
What, didn't Cross recanon-ize RD? I'm not sure I follow you there Xenterex...

what I mentioned there is how Cross took the set up RD had, and then rehashed it and then dumped a whole lot of crud on it, then swept RD under the rug and said, yea it didn't happen.  So, i'd say make another story, and sweep CC under the rug and say, "naw, it went more like this..."

Yeah and it's so nice you give all these good arguments

Btw without Cross there is no "series"

That sounds like sarcasm to me, so fine I'll elaborate.  I think that Kato is experiencing his own case of megalomania for this story and taking weak approaches and using uncharacteristic elements to close up unanswered questions and loose ends.  While Kato certainly has an impressive resume of success in story works, apparently the greater the role he has in a project, the worse it becomes because it doesn't look like he collaborate ideas and utilize feedback/critique to keep his work in check.  This is made even more evident because everything Chrono related since CC has been trying to wedge more of his "look I'm trying to make CC make work out better" rather than simply either continuing what he started, or rehashing something better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masato_Kato.  I looked this over and linked over to FF7 and Xenogears as they were both games I've played and really enjoy.  With the addition of other writers, and such, apparently the stories turn out that much better because he had someone else to help refine the craft.  Granted, there's a difference between a series single and a story sequel, I still think it makes the point as no other listed project does he play so large a role in as he did in CC.  Under the 'brake' entry for Chrono on wiki, he's listed as saying he wanted to do a direct sequel to Trigger, but instead didn't and hasn't, and instead slopped up Cross. I haven't any experience with Mana games beyonde of Legend of Mana, and I know this is a combined staffing problem, but, I don't find it a surprise that that series is declining since it's added Kato to its ranks. 

So what if there's a lack of series? Are you trying a make a point via linguistics or implying that it being a 'series' has been a good thing?  Frankly, seeing two of the greatest made games and stories become 'series' and essentially rot and decay certainly seems adverse to that idea imo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:23:23 am by Xenterex »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 07:57:51 pm »
Uh, didn't Cross basically state that RD did happen, just in a different timeline/dimension? I think this more than makes sense because basically every game in the series so far has started in a new one...Chrono Trigger's Keystone-2, w/e Radical Dreamers' timeline was & then Chrono Cross' "Home World"...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 11:41:38 pm »
Not to veer off topic, but I doubt a remake would occur.  Now a port... Now THAT could happen.

As for Radical Dreamers vs Chrono Cross, V_Translanka is correct.  In the Dead Sea, amongst the high-tech ruins, the party stumbles across a computer that reads excerpts from Kid's diary in Radical Dreamers, and it subtly mentions that there are other dimensions out there, other realities.

Thus, Radical Dreamers did happen, just in another timeline/dimension.