Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 195852 times)

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1395 on: December 30, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »
I'm playing Arkham Asylum too.

I got my PS3 today (with the aforementioned Batman, plus Mirror's Edge). I want a good game for online play, but MW2 looks so... gritty. I dunno... I'd like to play it online though, I did really enjoy a CoD game online once... Help me out here. D:

Just played Mirror's Edge, what a piece of shit. It's a nice concept but I'm finding it near-impossible to make it through the second level.

Just get Killzone 2 or Resistance 2. Both have awesome multiplayer, specially Resistance2 64 players brawl is mind blowing.
Uncharted 2 is awesome too but if you haven't played the first one, I would still recommend it.

Just check some of the exclusives since you got a PS3 now. It's worth it.

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 30, 2009, 10:03:09 pm »
I envy you! I loved Killzone, I can't understand why more shooters hadn't adopt the second trigger weapons, having an assault rifle with a shotgun blast is great(the Hellgast Assault Rifle), one of the best shooters I have played to this date.

I would love to play Killzone 2, maybe even get a PS3 just for that, and maybe for some other RPGs I know the system will get ;)

So, in your opinion, how is Killzone 2? Does it live up to the greatness of the first?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 31, 2009, 02:37:01 am »
So lately I have been playing Star Ocean - Till the End of Time, which I got back in Christmas. And I think there is something wrong with the way I'm playing.

It's how hard I'm finding it. At the beginning it wasn't that much of a trouble, but now I have been finding trouble when defeating the enemies. Maybe it's the way I'm fighting or my levels are probably low (currently in that shrine beyond Aquios Castle at level 21 for the party I'm using), but I'm having a hard time with the battles.

Funny thing is that it's only with the random enemies. The bosses I have easily defeated and had no problem with. Yeah...

If this continues, I guess I'll take a break from it and return to my Super Robot Wars marathon (as I like to call it).

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1398 on: December 31, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »
Star Ocean TtEoT is really that hard, yeah... It was a nightmare for me, but my advice is learning to do Cancel Bonuses.

Cancel bonus occurs when you go directly form an attack to a battle skill, or a
battle skill to another battle skill.  Say you attack with x, then hold x and
immediately use Blade of Fury, it will say 'Cancel Bonus 175%' meaning your
Blade of Fury did 175% normal damage, and will increase if you go from skill to
skill.  It increases in the following manner:

100% (Normal attacks)
175%
200%
250%
300%

It remains at 300% for all other skills you chain after that.

Side Kick works WONDERFULLY with this method ("Side Kick spamming" being one of the most popular ways of killing bosses quickly). Sooo in short, just have Side Kick on both O and X (close-range) and alternate between them till your Fury runs out. The damage you'll dish out from this is insane.

Maria is a great character to do long-range Cancel Bonuses with, by the way.

Oh, and make use of the EXP boosts you get from Bonus Battles. It doesn't take too long leveling up if you find a good area. You sound like you miiiight be close to the Lava Caves, it's worth fighting the zombie enemies there to fill up your Bonus Battle gauge.

I didn't know about this till near the end of the game since it's NEVER EXPLAINED IN-GAME. Star Ocean 3 is really, really stupid, which is a shame; it's so fun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:30:20 pm by FaFniR »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 31, 2009, 12:43:51 pm »
Alright, Cancel Bonus it is. Thanks. Now I should be able to have it easier now.

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 31, 2009, 12:56:21 pm »
Once you have Peppita who can dodge and counter the attacks ...you can solo the game with her :)

What Games is everyone looking forward to getting in 2010 then ? :P
Top of my list is ff13 !

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 31, 2009, 01:03:38 pm »
Why is FF tactics so hard? Like seriously is it necessary.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 31, 2009, 01:14:57 pm »

Golden Sun DS.

If the Lufia II remake gets english version and manages to be released within 2010, then count that one too. Same for SaGa II.

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 31, 2009, 01:23:17 pm »

:shock: REALLY? What is it about the game you find hard?

Have you read the tutorials Daravon gives? It really helps...

Active Turn list is your friend, learn it, use it, love it. The game can be a little daunting for the new comers, but once you start figuring out how to play, it's really easy. It really depends on your playing style, don't believe anything you have heard, magic is NOT necessary, it only is if you play it slow and plan ahead every move, then it's excellent, if you are a Blitzer, then Geomancer, Knight, Monk, Ninja and Samurai are for you.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of having someone with Item, be a Chemist or someone with Item secondary and Throw Item, always have someone in your group that can Revive, and at least two people that can Heal, one of them should be able to heal others and themselves(preferably the same character that can Revive) White Magic, Item, Punch Arts and Summon Magic are great skillsets that offer a lot of options, and from those 4 only Summon Magic can't revive.

Well... I am getting ahead of myself, I am no expert, but I am versed enough to answer your questions to the best of my abilities, so maybe if you tell me where exactly you are having problems maybe I can help you stirring you to the right direction.  :)

And I am looking forward Mass Effect 2, and the inevitable sequel of Dragon Age. Also I want to check out FF XIII, but I will rent it first to see what the fuss is all about, and then consider if I want to buy it or not.

@ Acacia Sgt: Lufia is getting a remake? Well draw me a beard and call me a dwarf, I got to get me paws on that one! Thanks for the heads up  :D

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 31, 2009, 02:24:57 pm »

:shock: REALLY? What is it about the game you find hard?
One word.  Velius. 

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 31, 2009, 02:33:48 pm »

Top three games I'm looking forward to are Sands of Destruction, Pokemon HeartGold, and FFXIII (now that I own a PS3). I'm probably still missing out on a lot, though.

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 31, 2009, 02:41:11 pm »
Well... he's supposed to be hard, that's why

SPOILERS!!

Vormav warns Elmdor about facing Ramza saying "Be careful, he even defeated Velius", giving the impression that even among Lucavi, Velius was known for his might.

SPOILERS ENDED

But even then, that fight can be cheesed with Ramza's basic job, as I said, the game is only hard when you don't know what really fits your playing style and still are trying to figure out most of the mechanics. Once you learn the way the AT and stats work, it's a breeze. I am not claiming to be better at the game than Jutty, nor saying he's bad, I found it fun and mildly challenging the first time I played, and really easy mid ways to the game, but then again I love SPRGs so maybe I am more used to them.

My offer still stands Jutty, if you tell me where exactly are you having problems I may be of assistance n_n

Arakial

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 31, 2009, 03:09:32 pm »
Star Ocean TtEoT is really that hard, yeah... It was a nightmare for me, but my advice is learning to do Cancel Bonuses.

Cancel bonus occurs when you go directly form an attack to a battle skill, or a
battle skill to another battle skill.  Say you attack with x, then hold x and
immediately use Blade of Fury, it will say 'Cancel Bonus 175%' meaning your
Blade of Fury did 175% normal damage, and will increase if you go from skill to
skill.  It increases in the following manner:

100% (Normal attacks)
175%
200%
250%
300%

It remains at 300% for all other skills you chain after that.

Side Kick works WONDERFULLY with this method ("Side Kick spamming" being one of the most popular ways of killing bosses quickly). Sooo in short, just have Side Kick on both O and X (close-range) and alternate between them till your Fury runs out. The damage you'll dish out from this is insane.

Maria is a great character to do long-range Cancel Bonuses with, by the way.

Oh, and make use of the EXP boosts you get from Bonus Battles. It doesn't take too long leveling up if you find a good area. You sound like you miiiight be close to the Lava Caves, it's worth fighting the zombie enemies there to fill up your Bonus Battle gauge.

I didn't know about this till near the end of the game since it's NEVER EXPLAINED IN-GAME. Star Ocean 3 is really, really stupid, which is a shame; it's so fun.
Oooh Dimension Door and Side Kick were my favorite combo--extremely devastating early on.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1408 on: December 31, 2009, 04:01:40 pm »
Played the Bayonetta demo yesterday, it was surprisingly fun. Probably won't buy the game, though.

Playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune right now, loving it.

Top of my list is ff13 !

BlazBlue (European release)
Star Ocean 4 International
Ace Attorney Investigations
Pokémon HG/SS
FFXIII
FFXIV
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Golden Sun DS
Zelda Wii?

Probably plenty of others.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1409 on: December 31, 2009, 04:30:41 pm »
What the...I missed FFVII talk? Ha! Speaking of the best FF on the PSX (possibly of the series)...

In general RPGs are only as hard as you make them yourself. Now go forth and surround your foe, attack/heal/accumulate/whatever for a few until you can be a Ninja and/or a decent Calculator to wipe the map with. JP Up is your Chapter 1 bestest friend.

Well, anyways...I've been hit with a veritable feast of games to play. Multiplayer FPSs for 360 abound: Halo 3: ODST (award for most awkward co-op story), Left 4 Dead 2 (which I mostly play as a hack & slash ^_^), & Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (seriously, this warfare is almost TOO modern! lol...I'm so badly not used to this series & get pwnt pretty hard online)...though I'm still playing Halo 3 online most (awaiting Reach beta and hoping some day I too will find 2 or 3 other people to Firefight with)...

Also got Mass Effect & Bioshock. I dig Mass Effect but am dreading the vehicle combat I just heard about not too long ago...If that does indeed prove too frustrating I'll have Too Human to fall back on. Bioshock I'll probably have to get around to later but it seems pretty neat so far...I also got Oblivion which will assuredly eat away at my very soul if I let it loose unchecked. I'm a Khajiit born under The Shadow (la de da)...

Nice to see some other people with Batman: Arkham Asylum. Seems fun so far & I love hearing the old animated cast back together...oh Mark Hamill you crazy bastard...), but with so many games idk if I'll have the time to really dedicate to it now...other new games probably staying on the backburner: Lego Batman: The Videogame (360), Armored Core For Answer (gotsta love me some of the true "AC"...though I did quite enjoy Advent Children despite not liking FFVII itself), Okami (painting stuff and running around making flowers as a wolf has never been more fun) & Trauma Center: 2nd Opinion (Wii must own...uh, though there's a new one coming out sometime 2010...)...

I also started to play 1 vs 100 on XBL...The way things are going it'll probably be the first game I get all the achievements for...V_V

Oh, and V Translanka (no underscore like my Compendium SN) is now officially my XBL gamertag if anyone wants to add me, feel free...seriously, I want to Firefight. I'm usually up at crazy hours though, so be prepared to possibly never see me online if you're not usually up past midnight on the east coast...>_>

I wonder if I should 1) create a new thread for gamertag sharing (not what Save Space & Rid Clutter V side tells me to do) or 2) modify this thread to have shared gamertags on the 1st page or something...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:34:57 pm by V_Translanka »