Author Topic: Any sequential artist out there?  (Read 1794 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Any sequential artist out there?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 02:41:16 pm »
*puffs out chest*

Yeah, I'm pretty great, huh? :lol: Thanks a lot though. I've been reading comics & drawing since as far back as I can remember, so it'd be a damn shame if I didn't at the very least subconsciously pick up on a few things!

BTW, there are a TON of really great artists (WAY better than anything I pump out) on the Compendium's Oekaki. Everyone should check it out (one thing I definitely am not ashamed at all to whore)! Though, admittedly there aren't very many sequential pieces there, I guess...*shrugs*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:43:35 pm by V_Translanka »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 02:43:24 pm »
Anyone familiar with Chuck Close? I did a paper on him last semester, and I found out a lot about him I hadn't known beforehand.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:54 pm »
I'm working on a scene from the novel. It's a bitch to do. I need to draw the table and the couch and the food and the chairs... not to mention the people. But it's coming and it looks somewhat decent.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:04 am »
Anyone familiar with Chuck Close? I did a paper on him last semester, and I found out a lot about him I hadn't known beforehand.

He's a photo-realistic type right? I've seen some of his work.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 01:07:51 pm »
I did a paper on him last semester. Learned some neat stuff I never knew about him before. Have you seen the one he did about his wife's grandmother?

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 10:16:03 pm »
Alright, I worked my ass off on this one piece of art. It's a scene from the novel. It isn't entirely verbatim, but it gets the general point across. I love it, though.

I present to you...

MY NOVEL SCENE.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »
Nice! It's funny how the guy in green (Zach?) keeps saying "We'll see" in response to requests.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:47 am »
Yeah, from left to right it's Seren, Aurora, Zach (he once wore a dark blue shirt with Hitomi Takahashi on it), Mayim, Sinclair, and down in front is Lovell. That thing was a pain to do. If you noticed, I didn't really rework the scenery much. That table and couch were a bitch to do.

Anyone who wants to color in the table, floor, and couch are free to do so.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 10:44:20 am »
Sorry I didn't comment on this earlier, teaflower. I didn't catch it until now. Nice work!

The style you used to tell the story is a unique one. There's a style of webcomics called constrained comics. This style, uses the same fundamental form throughout the entire strip. So every issue you'd have the same exact four panels, but with different dialogue and stories being told each time. (Here's a link to my favorite constrained comic...http://www.qwantz.com/)

Your comic is not a constrained comic, but it certainly could work as one. There's a lot of different stories to tell in this short little strip, and that's all because of the subtle things you put in there. The facial expressions are great. You can tell not all these characters get along. Good job capturing all the characters emotions and personalities without using words. While this strip tells the story of one specific scene, you can easily use it to tell another one as well, since the characters personalities are so well defined in the art. That's why I brought up the example of constrained comics. I think you can tell a million stories with this little strip.

Thanks for sharing, tea!

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:39 pm »
Yeah, I know I'm amazing. I picked that scene because it was just fun to write and I knew most of what was going on, aside from showcasing almost all of the main characters. The only ones missing are Aderyn and Alex. But I think I'll do the scene where Alex sort of comes to freak out Zach. I used the same panel a lot because it was really hard to do the scenery.

For backstory on that scene, Aurora and Mayim don't look at all happy with each other because Mayim refused to eat Aurora's wonderful cooking (of which Lovell is eating throughout most of the scene) because of the peas in it. Zach sat between them so that they wouldn't tear each other to shreds.

Next scene = the appearance of Alex! Fun... have to do fog for that one, as well as Alex walking through Zach.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 09:25:47 pm »
Besides the Compendium part, what of that idea is "awesome"?

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:52 pm »
I don't know, I was just on the optimistic part of my day I guess, thanks SO much. Screw that idea...