Author Topic: So, the Dragon Ball movie...  (Read 9550 times)

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: So, the Dragon Ball movie...
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2009, 04:34:33 am »
Speaking of Dragon Ball, I'm rereading it, and I really have no idea HOW they're going to make it into a movie. Turning Goku into a teenager is a bad move...
Child actors is a worse move.  Remember the Phantom Menace?
As well as many others.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2009, 04:50:07 am »
Ah, I forgot about that. Have to agree there. Meanwhile, the website I was reading Dragon Ball on just crapped out.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2009, 05:01:30 am »
Hollywood's doing to Dragonball what they did to Super Mario Bros. Hey, if they got unfitting actors like John Leguezamo and Bob Hoskins for that movie, why not flip through a phone book and call up random celebrities for DB roles?

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2009, 05:30:50 am »
Hollywood's doing to Dragonball what they did to Super Mario Bros. Hey, if they got unfitting actors like John Leguezamo and Bob Hoskins for that movie, why not flip through a phone book and call up random celebrities for DB roles?
Hey, c'mon.  I can think of some nice things to say about the SMB movie.  Like uh....

Samantha Mathis was hawt?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2009, 10:00:19 am »
When I first heard about this I thought three words 'Worst idea ever' (in a French accent for some deranged reason)
Hey, don't diss the idea, the idea's great! ;o Blame the script of the movie!

Unfortunately, the idea comes down to Hollywoodizing a bit of Japanese anime/manga culture. None of that sounds great to me...but there's not a lot of points of reference for such besides the Hollywoodification of other animated shows, which, most (if not all) of which didn't turn out so great...

We all know we're going to end up seeing Dragonball, let's be honest here.

Oh yeah, I'll see it (definitely not in the theaters though), but I imagine more in the way you'd watch a trainwreck...

Speaking of Dragon Ball, I'm rereading it, and I really have no idea HOW they're going to make it into a movie. Turning Goku into a teenager is a bad move...

Oh yeah, the kid in Attack of the Clones was much better...Child actors are mostly on the same level as most teenage actors...but I'll put forth one person who was a child actor who was in Phantom Menace who didn't suck ass as a child actor: Natalie Portman.

The Super Mario Bros movie was really no one's fault...It was a movie about Super Mario Bros! It was just ridiculous fun meant for kids...much like the games. There was no way to translate that in any way and not have it become a suck-fest. We're lucky it was only as bad as it was, really...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:04:51 am by V_Translanka »

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2009, 10:42:39 am »

Oh yeah, the kid in Attack of the Clones was much better...Child actors are mostly on the same level as most teenage actors...but I'll put forth one person who was a child actor who was in Phantom Menace who didn't suck ass as a child actor: Natalie Portman.

The Super Mario Bros movie was really no one's fault...It was a movie about Super Mario Bros! It was just ridiculous fun meant for kids...much like the games. There was no way to translate that in any way and not have it become a suck-fest. We're lucky it was only as bad as it was, really...

Yeah, why is that? Until the age of like 15 it's impossible to act. Something happens between the age of 14 and 15, what is it that causes people to become actors? Bi-Polar disorder or schizophrenia? Even then you should be able to act when you are 8. And what about the Olsen Twins? They could were good child actors.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2009, 12:48:14 pm »
There is such a thing as a good child actor. Problem is, they'll waste them on tv shows instead of movies and by the time they hit a movie, they aren't child stars anymore or they've been brainwashed into having all their performances be like their show(in other words very child friendly, and very bad). Shia(can't remember last name but he was in stuff like Transformers, Eagle Eye etc.)was good when he was a child star. Problem was he never got into movie until he wasn't capable of being labeled "child star" anymore.

Yes, I'll watch the movie. But not if I'm paying. That's why one of my friend's who has no clue what the series is like so he is convinced it'll be good(take this way, he thought Speed Racer was good. One of his favorite movies was the 2005 Punisher, Spider-Man 3 was awesome in every way)is planning on seeing it. I'll go to his house and watch it. That's it. If I don't see it cause a friend got it instead of me, I ain't seeing it until I am assured it is good. That isn't anytime soon.

I'm only interested in seeing it even the smallest bit because, IT'S DRAGONBALL. How could I call myself a fan and not see it even if it is (most likely)gonna be terrible? But then again, I'm not an EXTREME fan.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2009, 12:54:58 pm »
There are good child actors, but they're few & far between all of the child actors that were more than likely forced into it by their parents who aren't willing to accept the fact that they (& their children) have no talent for it...and probably some blame goes to producers that don't care enough about children that can actually act, but just look for a cute face or something...

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »
Honestly, I'd rather have some fat kid who can act than Goku be a teen(since his teen years were NEVER EVEN DONE.
Wait, of course!

This is supposed to be Goku's teen years! He was just one the goth kids is all! except he didn't know the goth color was black and thought it was orange!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2009, 10:44:37 pm »
Did you guys ever watch Dragonball?  You do realize that he was a teenager at one point, right?

For instance...

Goku was 12 when Dragonball started.

He was then 16 during the 22nd World Tournament -- which is when the Piccolo Saga takes place. 

He's married and has Gohan by the time he's 20.

So actually, they have Goku's age right for the movie.  Just wanted to point that out if anyone had any confusion on the matter.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2009, 11:13:13 pm »
Goku was 12 when Dragonball started.
Er... he was 12? I thought he was 14. o_o You know, when Bulma asked him out to travel with her in search for the dragonballs. I mean, in the manga, Goku actually witnesses Bulma's naked body and is puzzled HE doesn't have those two bulges on his chest which makes him think Bulma's weird. Then Bulma asks him his age, and he replies that he's 14, then gets his ass kicked because he's already in his age of puberty and he PEEKED ON HER!! XDDD

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2009, 11:17:29 pm »
http://www.geocities.com/gohan2000_nz/timeline.html

By chance what language dub did you watch?

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2009, 12:31:26 am »
He says he's 14 in the manga, then during the Budokai, he's asked what age he is, and replies that he can't count, at which he is laughed at, and he replies something along the lines of "Uh... 12!" I always think he's 14, but very unassuming and pure for his age, with the heart of a child.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2009, 02:17:18 am »
Well, he's an alien...His growth rate isn't the same as Earthlings.