Author Topic: Vista and Torrenting  (Read 1340 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Vista and Torrenting
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:18:48 pm »
Believe it or not, expanding XP's half-open connection limit beyond 10 helped my torrenting tremendously. Before that, I had crappy download speeds. So, from that evidence, I'm not sure whether to believe the people who say it really shouldn't affect anything.

Now that I have a new laptop with Vista & SP1, uTorrent is crawling. I was stuck at 10 kB/s download until I created a static IP and set net.bind_IP to it in uTorrent, and set net.outgoing_IP to the default gateway. I also disabled UPnP port mapping. That got me up to 50. I'm testing on a Naruto episode torrent, which I've averaged 300 on for the last two years. Adding a second torrent has taken both to 10, when both have tons of seeds.

So, at this point, I'm ready to assume that the half-open connection limit is stopping me. But I've also read that tcpip.sys is constantly updated on Vista and that with SP1, it can't really be changed anyway yet as no patches exist.

Anyone else have recommendations for torrenting well with Vista?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Vista and Torrenting
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:28:13 pm »
Anyone else have recommendations for torrenting well with Vista?

The best advice is to not. Stick with your original setup, if you still have it. Vista is one hating bitch.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:49:21 pm »
Amen. I myself prefer the almighty Macintosh.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:09:56 am »

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:50:23 am »
Two words.. Use XP. Seriously, Vista actually stands for something,

Viruses,
Intruders,
Spyware,
Trojans and,
Adware.

It's not offical, but you get the point. Nothing old works on it, which isn't good. It crashes all the time and, for some reason, my 20MB Connection Speed is drastically reduced. Go and get XP, hell, even ME is better than Vista.

Yes, Mac OS X is good, but I cannot find games for it!

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:01:58 am »
Two words.. Use XP. Seriously, Vista actually stands for something,

Viruses,
Intruders,
Spyware,
Trojans and,
Adware.

It's not offical, but you get the point. Nothing old works on it, which isn't good. It crashes all the time and, for some reason, my 20MB Connection Speed is drastically reduced. Go and get XP, hell, even ME is better than Vista.

Yes, Mac OS X is good, but I cannot find games for it!

Gaming isn't important to most people though. As a developer, Mac OS X trumps Windows any day. So does BSD and Linux, for that matter.

As a gamer, you should also take into consideration the fact that now that Mac OS X uses Intel processors and Wine has started reaching highly consistent levels of compatibility, you can probably run quite a few Windows games on Mac OS X without ever even owning a copy of Windows or a PC, yet alone dual-booting or running some virtualization nonsense that kills your performance.

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:06:32 am »
As a developer, Mac OS X trumps Windows any day. So does BSD and Linux, for that matter.

True, but there are some things a Mac can't do. One, and in my case, fatal, flaw is the fact it can't run Game Maker. And I refuse to use an OS emulator..

Which is odd because that's all an emulator is.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:27:18 pm »
Wine's a pain in the ass to get running, took me five hours to get steam running, which should have been an easy job, but I had some sound problems, so I had to fix that. Used to have Ubuntu on a secondary hard drive, but now I'm back to XP.

But most people get Vista so they can play DX10 games...although you could get DX10 running on XP, which is what I did xD I might try Vista one day too...did you know they're already planning another Windows do come out in 2010? Windows 7. And even after that, they already have another Windows planned after Windows 7.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:39:31 pm by dan_death »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:16:22 pm »
Gaming isn't important to most people though. As a developer, Mac OS X trumps Windows any day. So does BSD and Linux, for that matter.

Have they finally gotten a better C/C++ IDE than Visual Studio on Mac or Linux?

Ramsus

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 03:07:37 pm »

Have they finally gotten a better C/C++ IDE than Visual Studio on Mac or Linux?

All of the best mainstream development tools and libraries for Mac OS X and Linux/BSD come free as a pretty-much standard part of the installation, which means a lot for indie developers, students, kids, and people who want to make their computer do something that no current software can make it do. Not to mention, having half a million libraries, command-line tools, and language bindings readily available and usually installable with a few commands makes it pretty easy to accomplish things without having to write enough code that you'd even need an IDE or any of its features.

So when I say better for developers, that's the extended version of what I'm really saying. Yeah, it doesn't really apply to guys working in software shops writing shiny packaged programs that they can sell, but where do those guys come from?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:13:04 pm by Ramsus »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 03:34:41 pm »
Could I dual-boot Ubuntu or something to torrent?

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 03:39:53 pm »
Could I dual-boot Ubuntu or something to torrent?

Yes, there's an option that let's you install it on Windows, well at least with the latest version, which I have. Then it let's you select what OS you want to use, that you have installed:

It was pretty easy for me to install, since I had a secondary hard drive.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:43:10 pm by dan_death »

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 03:16:32 am »
Yeah I mean, honestly, Apple is making things like, partitioning hardrives and backing up entire lines of computers a breeze. They're simplifying what used to be (most of the time) arduous tasks, into a few simple and easy clicks.

What's more, if you happen to come across something that requires a PC, again, simply, switch over to Windows . . . or open up a new "window" running windows :-p

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »
Here's your solution ZeaLity:

In utorrent, go to Options -> Preferences -> Advanced. The second option under Advanced is ‘net.bind_ip’. Set this to the IP address of your computer. Restart utorrent.

Hope this helps.  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:08:59 pm by BROJ »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
I was stuck at 10 kB/s download until I created a static IP and set net.bind_IP to it in uTorrent, and set net.outgoing_IP to the default gateway.

Still stuck at 30.