Author Topic: Idea I've been batting around...  (Read 931 times)

Reilos

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Idea I've been batting around...
« on: January 20, 2005, 11:27:03 pm »
Although I hate to spoil anything a potential fanfic of mine might contain... if I don't, this thread will be meaningless.

I've had a fanfic for the Chrono series (originally just Trigger, but now that I've gotten and beaten Cross, I'm trying to integrate some of it into the story) that I've batted around and thought a lot about.

For now all I've got is the bare-bones pretext of the story, and that is that it deals with the next step in the series: where Trigger dealt with time, where Cross dealt (largely) with dimension, my fanfic will deal with the concept of comprehension and benevalence.  I suppose it will be the umpteen-millionth fanfic to deal with the Entity, but I'm hoping I'm giving it a little bit of a different spin.

The major question is; whoever said that Crono, Serge, and all the others were on the same side as the Entity?

The story will deal with various Entities, all vying for control over events in time.  More specifically, it's between "the big two," one of which has coereced events to destroy the future of Earth for some unknown reason (which will of course be revealed later), and "the other" which is acting to prevent that destruction (it was the one who created the various time portals).  In effect, we learn that nothing the heros have done til this point (and beyond, according to one of the evil Entity's agents).

Other things I want to try and do with this is to have Crono and crew meet at least some of the cast from Cross (although I want to figure out who, as I don't wanna write dialogue for 40 different characters as well as all the new and side cast).  Also, Schala will play an important role, being as she's the only one whom actually came into contact with the Entity (during her time as the Time Devourer, but even then it was "something just out of sight, something that I knew was there, but couldn't see, hear, or touch.  But I know it was there... and I... we were afraid...) as well as taking a role in combat along with Magus/Janus.  (which is one of the reasons I'm so intent in finding out what happened to her after Cross.  I'd like to make this as accurate to the game's story as possible).

Keeping in mind that this is only the bare-bones, haven't-thought-of-anything-much-beyond-this point of the story, I'd like to know what you guys think of the premise.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 09:36:24 am »
I'd say the premise is interesting, if only because it vies to deal with the next chapter in the Chrono series. That's always been a hard topic to think about for me, simply because it is very difficult to top a villain that can consume the entire space-time continuum, or on a smaller level maintain enough interest in the characters and give them new futures that deal with the regular concepts of temporal and dimensional travel and change. To be honest, I've never come across a fanfiction whose main point lay in the Entity(ies); this sounds like it would be interesting and valid. When would you begin? We could try and get the Chrono Cross Resolution article resolved.

My final advice is to just know yourself enough to know whether you'd want to finish. Ending Gaspar III took a tremendous amount of effort; I wanted to do it but it was difficult to get into that writing mode. Most of my inspiration comes from simply letting my mind wander; that's how the entire Crimson Echoes plot came about. When you stop wandering and start trying to hammer out hard plot ideas inch-by-inch, take a rest and reapproach it from a different angle.

Reilos

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 02:16:11 pm »
I could actually write parts of it now (those parts based largely on the Trigger cast).  However, there are still parts I need to figure out.

My biggest concern right now is that I know what the evil entity is trying to do, but I don't know how he's going to do it.  The only thing I've been able to come up with so far is... well, kinda simple compared to the complexities that will make up the backstory (conspiracy upon conspiracy sorta thing).

However, I still have a large part in the beginning in which I summarize what I think happened to the various characters after Cross' ending (i.e. what happened to Schala, where Magus was, what happened to Crono, Marle, and Lucca)

Also, speaking of Cross, I'd like to play through that once or twice more before I try and write about any of the characters from it, just so I can get a feel for them again.