Author Topic: Singing Mountain  (Read 18440 times)

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« on: January 19, 2005, 12:52:08 pm »
These posts, once translated, should have some interesting discussion on the cut Singing Mountain dungeon.

http://radical.or.tv/cgi/yybbs/yybbs.cgi

(the last 3 posts on that page)  The rough summary is that the song location on the OST suggests that you originally warped there from the giant portal after fighting Magus.  Not a new idea, I remember seeing that mentioned before.  But, one of the responses mentioned that there was an "official" response about the song by Mitsuda.  After a bit of searching, I found the response on an old Q&A column on Procyon Studio:

http://www.procyon-studio.com/special/qa_2003b.html

(the 4th post from the bottom)  The same Q&A bit also talks about the missing intro part of Frog's theme that wasn't in the original game.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 05:07:49 pm »
Interesting; I did ask Cocobiz or whoever runs Yasunori Mitsuda's website if we could mirror the entire Q & A section. Yes, a longshot, but nonetheless feasible; however, I was simply ignored. There is no worse sign of disrespect and lack of manners than totally ignoring someone; this is the second time it has happened to me, the first being the result of an attempt to have a mutal link with the Final Fantasy Compendium. Not being acknowledged at all rather upsetting. I don't believe it will happen so often when we're without a doubt and very convincingly number one.

Edit: Third actually; the guy who hosts vgmusic guitar and bass tabs never replied on whether I could mirror those in our music section.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
Singing Mountain
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 11:32:33 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Interesting; I did ask Cocobiz or whoever runs Yasunori Mitsuda's website if we could mirror the entire Q & A section. Yes, a longshot, but nonetheless feasible; however, I was simply ignored. There is no worse sign of disrespect and lack of manners than totally ignoring someone[...]

What language did you ask in?  They may have felt it more polite not to reply at all than to reply in shoddy English.

I'm looking over those sites right now.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 10:02:35 am »
Well, I asked the English version of the site's webmaster; that same person did make a post on OneUp Studios announcing its update once in what appeared to be fine language, but I guess even that could have been a work of translation.

CuteLucca

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cutelucca.com
Singing Mountain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 10:53:53 am »
Also, remember people's inboxes crap out occasionally or they accidentally delete something they didn't intend to.  I'd send a second or even third request before I'd consider it a personal insult.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 02:15:57 pm »
Alright, I'll try again sometime.

Anonymous

Singing Mountain
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 06:59:10 pm »
Considering that it's just an email, I wouldn't consider it insulting.  Maybe the person's really busy, so they can't check their email at the moment.  Maybe the site's really popular, and they're flooded with mail.  Who knows?  I'd just wait and see.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:48:55 pm »
Sorry I haven't gotten to this stuff yet.  My job's been a little more time-consuming than usual the past couple days but I should have time this weekend.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Singing Mountain
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 07:28:03 pm »
What do you do?

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 07:37:07 pm »
I have a part-time job with a law office.

Now I just need to tear myself away from Naruto and finish reading over these things, LOL...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Singing Mountain
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 07:47:47 pm »
Quote from: Arc Impulse
I have a part-time job with a law office.

Been there. My mother is a lawyer at a small office, so I still sometimes do odd jobs around there when I'm in town.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 09:13:21 pm »
Okay, here's the first one.  It doesn't look to me like this was a conversation of much consequence, unfortunately (I kinda wish I'd done the Procyon Studio page first @.@)...  Sorry, this is quite a rough translation.  As I've said before, casual conversational Japanese is still difficult for me.

歌う山について
About the Singing Mountain

連続投稿失礼します。
    いや、某掲示板では考察ばかりしているもので、
    過去ログにあってもう終わっている話題で興味のあるものを見るとどうしても意見を出したくなってしまうのですよね(汗)

Sorry for the double post.
No, since I'm just inquiring into a certain board,
when I saw something interesting in the already-finished topics of the past logs, I really wanted to come give my opinion no matter what. ^_^;;

それで本題は、タイトル通りにクロノ・トリガーのサントラに入っている『歌う山』についてです。

Therefore the main question is, as it says in the title, about "Singing Mountain" on the Chrono Trigger soundtrack.

初めてこの曲を聞いたとき、「あれ? こんな良い曲あったかな…」と不思議に思っていたのですが、
    ここの過去ログを見てサントラだけに入っている曲だと初めて知りました。
    個人的に本編中にも是非入れてほしかった曲です。曲だけでとても感動できますし、色々な場面が想像されます。

When I first listened to this song, because I thought oddly, "Eh?  That was a great song...", I looked at the past logs and knew for the first time which songs were only on the soundtrack.
Personally, while [editing/compiling the book*], it was certainly also the song I wanted most to be in it.  With only that song I was able to feel very moved, and it made me imagine many scenes.

[*Your guess is as good as mine as to what he's talking about here.  The translation's right, but I don't have the context.]

それで、この曲が使用されるであった場所として『死の山』が挙がっていたと思います。
    ですが、この曲を聴く限り……曲に入る前にゲートをくぐる音が入っていますよね。
    だとすると、自然的にゲートをくぐったすぐ後の場所でこの曲が流れることになると思います。

Because of that, [I think the likelihood of "Death Mountain" being the place where the song was used went up.*]
But the hearing of the song is limited...  before it can go into the song, the sound of passing through a Gate comes in, right?
If that's what happens, I think the song plays at the place right after spontaneously passing through the Gate.

[*I believe this is the general gist of the sentence.  It uses a very weird colloquial-sounding phrase.  n.n;]

死の山にはゲートはなかったと思いますし、サントラに収録されている位置的にいっても死の山ではないと思います。
    『歌う山』の前に来るのが『魔王決戦』で後に来るのが『ティラン城』の曲。
    だとすれば、この曲は魔王と戦った後、ティラン城の曲が流れる前に使われる(予定だった)と考えるのが妥当です。

Since I don't think there was a Gate on Death Mountain, I don't think that's the area, even though that's the position it says it's recorded to on the soundtrack.
Before "Singing Mountain" comes "Magus Decisive Battle", and after it comes "Tyran Castle".
If that's so, I think it's correct that the song would come after fighting with Magus, and could be used before the Tyran Castle song plays (or that was the plan) .

そこから考えて、なおかつゲートをくぐった直後の場所……どこになるでしょうか。(あるいは専用の場所があったのかもしれませんね)
    他力本願ですみません。トリガーも最近はやっていなので、大まかな流れは覚えているものの、細かいところは覚えていないのです(汗)

From there, consider the place immediately after passing through the Gate...  Where would that be?  (Or maybe there's one place where it's used exclusively, huh?)
I'm sorry I have to rely on everybody else to figure this out.  Since I haven't played Trigger lately either, I don't really remember the small details out of the general current of memorized stuff ^_^;;

個人的にはクロノを生き返らせるときに、クロノを連れて戻ってきた後に流れてくれていれば良かったなぁ、と思います。

Personally, when reviving Crono, I think it would have been nice to have it playing after you put him back in your party.

Re: 歌う山について
Re: About the Singing Mountain

「歌う山」は作曲者の光田さんによりますと、
没になってしまったダンジョンで使用される予定だった曲だそうです。
(詳細は光田さんの公式サイトのQ&Aに書いてあります。)
どのような展開で訪れるダンジョンだったのでしょうね?
そういう事を想像するのも本当に楽しい事ですよね。

It seems like it was due to the composer Mitsuda-san planning to use it in a dungeon that was discarded.
(The details are written about at the Q&A on Mitsuda-san's official site.)
[Maybe it's from some dungeon that would've been added in development?*]
Imagining the stuff that's been talked about is really fun though, huh?

[*My best guess.]

なるほど
Oh, I see

お返事ありがとうございます。

Thank you very much for answering.

> 「歌う山」は作曲者の光田さんによりますと、
> 没になってしまったダンジョンで使用される予定だった曲だそうです。

>It seems like it was due to the composer Mitsuda-san discarding the plans to have it used in a dungeon.

そうだったのですか。過去ログは量が多かったのでざっと見ただけでして、答えが既に出ていたのは見落としていました。
すみません。
それと、良い曲なのに実に勿体ないですね。でも、サントラに収録して頂けただけでも良しというところでしょうか。

Ah, was that it?  Since there were so many past logs, I was just glancing through them, and I overlooked the answers that were already there.
Sorry.
That song is really much better than we deserve, huh?  But even if we just got it on the soundtrack, it's something to shout "Yeah!" about.

> どのような展開で訪れるダンジョンだったのでしょうね?
> そういう事を想像するのも本当に楽しい事ですよね。

>[Maybe it's from some dungeon that would've been added in development?]
>Imagining the stuff that's been talked about is really fun though, huh?

ということは、魔王決戦にて巨大なゲートに飲み込まれた後に行き着く先だった……のかもしれませんね。
先に書いた通り、『歌う山』の前後に収録されている曲は『魔王決戦』と『ティラン城』ですから。
『歌う山』の最初の方のゲートをくぐる音も、それで納得できますし。

About that, maybe it was after getting swallowed up in the huge gate after the Magus battle, but before arriving at the next destination...
Since, like I wrote before, the songs before and after "Singing Mountain" are "Magus Decisive Battle" and "Tyran Castle".
[Unable to translate], the sound of passing through a Gate, because of that I can understand/agree.

それで、その『歌う山』のダンジョンをクリアした後に何らかの形でエイラの元へと……。

とにかく、ありがとうございました!

Because of that, I wonder what form Eira's origins would head toward after clearing the "Singing Mountain" dungeon...

Anyway, thank you very much!

---

If you have any questions, let me know.  I went somewhat more literal on this one since I wasn't as sure of myself.

Edit: Had a sentence slightly wrong.  "It seems like it was due to the composer Mitsuda-san planning to use it in a dungeon that was discarded" rather than Mitsuda being the one doing the discarding. n.n;  Sorry.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 09:13:51 pm »
Naruto rules. Rock Lee and Naruto are two of my five main heroes, with most of the rest of the cast in behind them. Rock Lee really represents an ideal lifestyle I'd like to grow towards -- being able to lucidly pursue your dream with all your heart and 200% of your determination, never giving up or faltering, and placing utter faith in yourself and the value of hard work. Such is how the Compendium will be completed.

I just need to figure out where to buy a good headband. The ones on Ebay seem to be velcroed in the back.

Oh cool, this was posted a split second after the translation. I'll read it now.

Alright, interesting. When the Compendium first discussed Singing Mountain in September 2003, two theories emerged; mine was that it was used on Mt. Woe (thus the Singing Mountain title; I also thought that it had that airy, sort of drifting sound). The other I can't really remember, as soon after a visit to THE Singing Mountain confirmed that it was a 65,000,000 B.C. dungeon.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 09:32:31 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Naruto rules. Rock Lee and Naruto are two of my five main heroes, with most of the rest of the cast in behind them. Rock Lee really represents an ideal lifestyle I'd like to grow towards -- being able to lucidly pursue your dream with all your heart and 200% of your determination, never giving up or faltering, and placing utter faith in yourself and the value of hard work. Such is how the Compendium will be completed.

I just need to figure out where to buy a good headband. The ones on Ebay seem to be velcroed in the back.

Oh cool, this was posted a split second after the translation. I'll read it now.

Alright, interesting. When the Compendium first discussed Singing Mountain in September 2003, two theories emerged; mine was that it was used on Mt. Woe (thus the Singing Mountain title; I also thought that it had that airy, sort of drifting sound). The other I can't really remember, as soon after a visit to THE Singing Mountain confirmed that it was a 65,000,000 B.C. dungeon.

Haha, yes, I noticed your new Rock Lee icon.  Though he seems like the kind of person I'd really like to know in real life, I have to admit he doesn't interest me very much in fiction.  I prefer unraveling the mysteries of the less forthcoming characters like Kakashi and Sasuke.

(Oh, man, I saw the most awesome Naruto headbands at A-kon last summer.  They tied in the back and everything.  If only I hadn't been broke, LOL.)

Working on the Procyon translation now.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 09:57:06 pm »
Okay, here's the Procyon Q&A question.  Again, 'tis rough. ^^;

クロノ・トリガー未収録曲[歌う山]ですが、あの曲がゲームの中に入っていないのがとても残念です。多分あの曲はク○ノが死んだ後のイベント死の山でしたっけか? ク○ノを復活させる為の山に挿入予定だったのでしょ? なんで没になったのでしょうか? とても良い曲なのに (生楽器生声で一度聞いてみたい)。それと[カエルのテーマ]もゲームでは前奏が入っていなくてCDでは入っている。どうしてゲームでは前奏を入れるのをやめてCDでは、入っているのでしょうか?

About the not-yet-recorded Chrono Trigger song "Singing Mountain", it's really too bad it didn't make it into the game.  Was the song for an event at Death Mountain after Crono dies?  Was it planned to insert the song when going to the mountain to revive Crono?  Why was it rejected?  It's a very good song (I'd really love to hear it with live instruments and vocals).  Also, the prelude to Frog's Theme wasn't included, but it was on the CD.  Why was it in the CD, but not in the game?

(光田本人より)
あの曲を使うダンジョンがあったのですが、別にそのダンジョンが無くてもゲームの進行上何も問題ないということで、カットされたのです。なので、曲も必然的にカットされました(泣)。カエルのテーマについては前奏が入っていない方がイベント的に盛り上がる、ということで途中から始まりますが、CDではせっかくですので前奏から入れておきました。

(From Mitsuda himself)
There was a dungeon where that song was used, but because the dungeon didn't contain much and there were no problems or anything that advanced the game, it was cut.  So inevitably the song was cut with it (*sniffle*).  About Frog's Theme, because the prelude was meant to rise up during an event, the song starts out partway through, but since we took great pains with the CD it started from the prelude there.

Gotta love video game development staff and their ambiguous answers.  This is slightly paraphrased because the Japanese is a little more redundant than is grammatically acceptable in English.