Author Topic: Need help with Terranigma code...  (Read 842 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Need help with Terranigma code...
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:32:17 am »
So anyways, I've been playing around with the mechanics in Terranigma and I've hit a roadblock. I successfully created a permanent Zap Ring effect code(7E066C 10; I'm not sure, but I think one has to have a ZapRing in their inventory for it to work); the only problems I run into are(save *):

*: Using this code after a 'legitimate' Zap Ring use allows infinite use w/proper palette and graphics on the current screen.

A: Using this code without a 'legitimate' Zap Ring use allows infinite use w/wrong palette and graphics.

B: "*", however, after leaving the current screen in a level, the palette(mostly black, part of it is right, though) gets screwed up.

C: "*", however, after leaving the level then reentering, the palette(level dependent) and graphics pointer(shows garbled text in place of the Zap animation)

I'd imagine one would be able to fix this problem with breakpoint tracking, but I haven't the faintest clue as to where to start. Anyways, I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this one, because I've been stuck on it for a couple of days...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: Need help with Terranigma code...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:43:17 pm »
I LOVE THIS GAME!

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:47:32 pm »
I LOVE THIS GAME!
...that was random. :lol: All the same, thanks for the bump. I think I'll post some screenshots of the problem(s) I'm having.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:55:03 pm by BROJ »

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:58:32 am »
Yeah, this one looks tough.  I don't think this is something that can be solved using a PAR cheat comparison search and a couple RAM 7Exxxx cheats.

Probably the best way to go about fixing this would be to add a jump somewhere in the change location routine that goes to the zap ring in the menu.  Specifically, the spot right after Yes (use ring) is selected.  The memory addresses are set and it jumps back to the action screen on its own.

The idea is that each time a new area is loaded, the game always refreshes the zap ring graphics and palette.  With any luck, this process is invisible to the player.

Without modification, zap effect is normally lost changing locations, correct?

Notes:
85B446 exe breakpoint is the zap ring in the menu
8DE8BF exe breakpoint is where 0x10 in 7E066C is set, and the timer.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:47:09 pm »
Without modification, zap effect is normally lost changing locations, correct?

Notes:
85B446 exe breakpoint is the zap ring in the menu
8DE8BF exe breakpoint is where 0x10 in 7E066C is set, and the timer.

Yeah, I believe the 'swoop-in/swoop-out' text animation when one enters a level(e.g. Crysta, Tower 1, etc.) shares the same pointers/palette as the Zap animation. Perhaps this is why they would dispel the Zap effect between areas..?

And the other thing, as you noted, was a timer, which was kinda redundant, so I didn't include it. Was I right that one needs to have a Zap Ring in their inventory for it to work?

One more thing, I noticed an anomaly after one has this effect on and then proceeds to use, say, an Ice Ring─the effect is temporarily null.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 10:53:30 pm »
Found out anything more, JLukas?