Author Topic: Telepod - Any Known Materials?  (Read 4956 times)

Julford

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Telepod - Any Known Materials?
« on: July 08, 2008, 04:16:50 am »
I got to thinking about Lucca's telepod earlier today, and realized I had no idea what materials it was made of.

Is there any mention of materials used to create the telepod during the story? Considering that it was capable of interacting with the gate at the Millennial Fair, I was starting to wonder if it had some amount of Dreamstone in it... I know Melchior says something to the extent of "There's none to be found in this era" when he mentions it later in the game, and that Marle's pendant is more than likely the actual cause, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Thoughts:

-If Dreamstone is a factor of opening gates, that could mean that the Gate Key was utilizing Dreamstone to some effect. It'd help explain why the party couldn't access the 65,000,000 B.C gate after the key was stolen.
-It'd help explain why the Gate Key had any function at all; it makes little reason for some random invention Lucca whipped up just happened to open gates unless it was a particular material that she noticed reacted to the gate. The key was then crafted to help lodge said material in place, and she could use it to travel between gates without error.

This is all largely speculation. There isn't any particularly strong evidence that the telepod/Gate Key had any Dreamstone in it, but again, I thought I'd go ahead and ask what the plausibility of this idea is.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Telepod - Any Known Materials?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:32:31 am »
Well as far as I've heard, there's no dreamstone in the teleporter. However, there is dreamstone in the pendant. That's where your reaction came from. It's more than likely the Entity's direct involvement in the story that the pendant just HAPPENED to slip off of Marle's neck when she went into the gate.

As far as the gate key, I don't think it's so much the material it's made of. I think that it might have been the main drive mechanism for the teleporter. The gate at the Millennial Fair didn't exist before the teleporter was used as far as I know. All of the other gates that were used were pre-existing phenomena. Lucca used the gate key to open them. This is why I think it's actually a part of the teleporter.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:27:26 am »
We cant really ascertain what kind or type of materials is the Telepod made of.. There are no modern industrial fabrications or naturally-occuring metal that can allow for the direct manipulation of material states..

As for the Dreamstone, it seems unlikely.. If it was made by that material, then Lucca would have had foreknowledge of the stone and could have understood at least its most basic concepts and what the stone is truly capable of.. That was not indicated in the game, and if it were, then plot complications *might* arise..

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:30 am »
We've been over this.  The Pendant is made of Dreamstone, right?  What else is made of Dreamstone?  And what two Dream-species entities live within that object?  But are there any other Dream-species entities?

Doreen is the Pendant, just as Masa and Mune are the Masamune.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:44:48 am »
We've been over this.  The Pendant is made of Dreamstone, right?  What else is made of Dreamstone?  And what two Dream-species entities live within that object?  But are there any other Dream-species entities?

Doreen is the Pendant, just as Masa and Mune are the Masamune.

Probably.. Who knows? maybe there are other Enlightened Ones who are capable of creating their own Dream Species.. But the telepod made out of it? i dont think so..

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:28:31 am »
What Boo is refering to is a thread around here somewhere entitled "The Pendant and the Telepod" or something like that in which this question was addressed in depth. I may well be remembering wrong, but every scrap of information we could find about the pendant and the telepod were covered extensively. The basic conclusion that the thread came to was that the pendant was most likely responsible, and not in an inanimate object sort of way either. We see throughout the game that the Pendant has a semblance of intelligence, so it choose to essentially start everything.

Of course, just because we discussed it before doesn't mean anything; new ideas can topple established theory.

So, then, what was the telepod made of? No one knows. Dreamstone could be in there, but probably not as that would make Lucca's reaction to processing the dreamstone odd. Since the gates seem to be energy based, and the Telepod functions along seemingly similar lines (transporting between locations in the 3rd dimension is fundamentally similar to transporting in the 4th), I'd go with the appearance of the gate being an energy reaction, not a reaction of dreamstone to... something. Admittedly, the gatekey is a convenient plot device and there is no realistic way Lucca could have developed it, it is a game and she is a genius.

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:41 am »
Maybe Doreen, being the pendant, awaited until it felt there was a true hero around to act, and could have opened that first gate at any point in time...

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:40:08 am »
So, then, what was the telepod made of? No one knows. Dreamstone could be in there, but probably not as that would make Lucca's reaction to processing the dreamstone odd.

Well, that's it then.. There is not enough in-game evidence to support any definitive conclusion..
There are no detailed telepod sprites, no blueprints of the machine, no quotes from either Lucca or the gurus that can be deduced from.. We could speculate all day and not reach a workable solution on the matter..

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 05:02:57 am »
Quote from: Boo
But are there any other Dream-species entities?

The Black Dragon's dreams made those Lagoonate & Mantarrey monsters in Marbule...*shrugs* That's all I could think of...Not that this changes the point you were making...

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 05:48:59 am »
Admittedly, the gatekey is a convenient plot device and there is no realistic way Lucca could have developed it, it is a game and she is a genius.
Is that so? What WOULD be needed? There seems to be a bit of a hang up with time error the very first time traveling, so I imagine she had longer the the several hours Crono was looking around.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:56:15 pm »
I'd imagine it would "actually" be days...I mean, he has to climb down the mountain, go through town, and cross a quarter of the distance of the continent (& through a monster-filled forest) to get to Guardia castle...But then again, I guess we can't really tell the scale of the Chrono World, I guess...*shrugs*

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:13:49 pm »
Crono followed through the portal just miniutes after Marle right? Yet Marle is already found and safe in the castle acting as Leene.  There is obviously a glitch with time error but thats also the only time-traveling with the telepod I think thats to blame. Since Lucca time traveled with the gate key TE Then took effect on her.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:23:34 pm »
Crono followed through the portal just miniutes after Marle right? Yet Marle is already found and safe in the castle acting as Leene.  There is obviously a glitch with time error but thats also the only time-traveling with the telepod I think thats to blame. Since Lucca time traveled with the gate key TE Then took effect on her.

isn't that the same with Magus's/Prophet's case? Although it was not because of the Telepod...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:15 pm »
Maybe Crono actually tried to leave the Telepod display area 100 times or something before he gave up & picked up the stupid Pendant...? :P

But, also, isn't it mentioned that the Soliders were looking for the Queen...? So maybe they were in the mountain behind Truce already so they immediately found her...? Then they proceeded to take her directly to the Castle, whereas Crono, searching aimlessly, would have gone all over Truce (maybe even to Zenan Bridge or the Cathedral as well)...That in itself could have lasted days.

EclipsedExistence

• Earthbound (+15)
  • "Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 10:14:17 pm »
If I remember correctly, some citizens in 600 A.D. say something to the effect that the Queen was found in the mountains. This means that somebody was in the mountains when she appeared, and they recognized her as the Queen.

I've also always wondered about why time seems to pass differently for you depending on the Era you are in. Perhaps Gates aren't connected in a 1:1 ratio. For example, for every minute of time the Gate in 1000 A.D. goes through, the Gate in 600 A.D. would go through 20 minutes. This would explain how Magus is able to ascend through the ranks of Zeal, which I personally believe would have taken longer than it does for Crono & co. to defeat Azala. Or why seemingly erroneous amounts of time seem to pass.

Bah, I'm getting off topic. Perhaps the Gate Key is nothing more than an electromagnetic wave generator.  Just something to provide a reaction to the Gates. The Pendant is probably the same, in that a reaction with the energy of the Telepod causes the reaction, similar to metal in a microwave.