Author Topic: One element that makes a good game for you?  (Read 1488 times)

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
One element that makes a good game for you?
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:47:53 am »
The one element of any good game for me, has to be a world crisis element. Many games have the feeling that if we fail here then the planet is doomed.

Some games have this feeling

Final Fantasy 7 (meteor is bad...)

Final Fantasy 6 (after Kefka gained power it was almost like there was no point to live.

X-men Legends 2 RoA bet you didn't see that coming (If the x-men failed then Apocalypse would... create the apocalypse.)

Chrono Trigger (The world is destined to lay in ruin if Lavos isn't destroyed)

I like all 4 of those games and I had to add a wild card to show I am no RPG/Square fanboy.

Either way, what element of a game makes you love it? Sex appeal? Sex? Xes? Esx? Sxe? What....?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: One element that makes a good game for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:22:35 am »
I am beginning to suspect you are a fanboy, given that you have stated that you are not a fanboy more times than necessary.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:57:22 pm »
What's wrong with enjoying Square's(and it's derivative names and subsequent merger) games as the epitome of quality; I mean they practically 'owned' the RPG market at one time--some games, nowadays... I'll have to agree--meh...

For me what makes a game good is when the game creates a 'tense' and 'uncertain' feeling on a regular basis and yet still pulls you back in with immersive, ever-evolving(which the evolution is evolving in and of itself) plot that forces one to 'think'(not just pragmatically, but philosophically as well); all the while providing a comfortable, relative, and inviting atmosphere.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:34:23 pm by BROJ »

Gluttony

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:14:28 pm »
Good elements.....

I would have to say an element in gaming that would make me consider it a good game...is how well it immerses the player it its world. IF the game can make me care about the story, characters, etc....then they have done an exceptional job. A lot of this can be accomplished but CERTAINLY not limited to: Good storyline, character development, visuals, music (this is a huge for me), etc.

Of course, crappy game play can take away a lot of that feeling from you. So Game play is quite important as well :).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:18:47 pm by Gluttony »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:25:01 pm »
So much of it is storyline to me.  I can sit through crappy gameplay if the storyline keeps me personally invested.

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:31:18 pm »
The only reason I play games anymore is their artistic value as a medium of expression. When I had more time, I used to play games for purely "fun" reasons too, with games like FF Tactics and Disgaea being some of the funnest.

Therefore, the most attractive game to me is one that melds fun and interesting gameplay with a high level of artistic expression, with a special emphasis on elements like pacing, plot, characters, and romance.

Of course, I don't even play games anymore.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 08:55:44 pm »
Motoi Sakuraba.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:19:18 pm »
With your “world is doomed” example, it sounds like you’re talking about the themes inside games rather than the elements of games’ construction. One of my favorite themes in RPGs is imperialism—specifically, life under martial law within an empire’s ambit. In video games, empires are usually depicted as pervasive, intrusive, corrupt, and menacing. This creates dramatic tension and endless story opportunities. Final Fantasy VI really did good work with this. The prologue show us the juggernaut we know we will be going up against, and the very first scenes afterward depict a ruthless and fearsome empire reaching into the icy corners of the world, brutally cutting down the helpless defenders of an isolated town. Powerful stuff, in this case captured even more vividly in the 3D videos of FFVI. Along the way, things only get more desperate and dire. I would have loved it had the game delved that much more deeply into the realities of the empire’s menace, and its effect on those people and places who fall under its shadow. All of the Imperial characters not wearing trooper uniforms were distinct and compelling, and there was room for even more—more characters, more character to the Imperial towns, and more to do for the existing characters.

One of the problems with monster-driven evils, or intangible evils, is that it’s harder to relate to them. Human-driven evils, expressed in readily comprehensible imperial form, are much likelier to arouse the emotions of the audience. As an imperialist myself, the “empire gone bad” expression of the wider theme of imperialism, so common to RPGs, is one that I find quite compelling.

Patchy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 11:11:19 pm »
First and foremost, a distinct lack of bad dialogue. I find nothing ruins a good gaming experience nothing more than someone firing off cheesy line after cheesy line. One or two are alright, especially if they fit the character, but I like to think of it like spice in cooking.

Quote from: Boo The Gentleman Caller
So much of it is storyline to me.  I can sit through crappy gameplay if the storyline keeps me personally invested.

This.

A real polishing touch for me is grit, dirt, and a dystopic society at the hands of a untouchable dictator - specifically when it comes crashing down. FFVI has already been cited here, but that game really does it for me. Yes, this is the Compendium, but the fight for my number one slot is very, very close between Chrono and FFVI. Steampunk makes me smile.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:51:23 pm »
I am beginning to suspect you are a fanboy, given that you have stated that you are not a fanboy more times than necessary.

How about you contribute to the topic instead of calling me out. (I am sorry I just get pissed when I am called a fanboy especially when I say I dislike Halo on other forums)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 12:16:50 am »
What exactly is a fanboy...?

Gluttony

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 01:55:29 am »
An unspeakable evil...

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 02:02:50 am »
An unspeakable evil...
A rather deplorable subspecies of troll, in other words.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 02:05:36 am »
And the answer remains unanswered in detail.

:D

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 04:14:44 am »
Quote from: T_rod
X-men Legends 2 RoA bet you didn't see that coming (If the x-men failed then Apocalypse would... create the apocalypse.)

It would have just been the Age of Apocalypse! Man, I totally dorkgasmed over the Age of Apocalypse costumes...One-armed Wolverine & True-cyclops Cyclops! ^_^ I didn't understand Iron Man's Age of Apocalypse costume though because I don't remember Iron Man in it...it just looked like War Machine, so I assume Tony died or something...*shrugs*

Anyways, I don't think any one element makes me like all games...

In RPGs, I usually like a good heaping of Character Development. Being able to interact with the party & really seeing the fleshing out of their personalities is just one of my favorite things (I think the more recent DQ games probably take the cake on this, but also Chrono Trigger, FFVI, & FFIX do very good).

I pretty much enjoy everything with the Blue Bomber (Mega Man Soccer FTW!?!)...Also Samus Aran (though I haven't played much of the 3D ones, I've played all of the 2D ones and beaten all but the original)...There's something satisfying about blasting away at monsters/robots/viruses/alien 'waves/etc with an arm cannon that I enjoy, even though I usually hate platforming elements because I get really antsy jumping from one precarious ledge to another, knowing that only empty screen space & doom await me should I fall, but I suppose those heart-racing moments are part of the fun...

Similarly, with Shooters (i'm talking oldschool terms here, people, not FPSs...either side-scrolling or top-down scrolling up), I love games with cool power ups, good visuals & precision skill necessary for epic boss fights. One of my favorite series was the Raiden series, which I played all the time in the arcades (pink laser fuck yeah!)...and also oldschool gems like 1942 (which is getting a sequel for NDS pretty soon, I've heard!)...

I'm not quite sure what exactly attracts me to fighting games like Street Fighter & Dead or Alive...Capcom & SNK fighters are fun romps w/a good amount of skill involved & super moves are...super! >_> DoA, I was initially attracted to the jiggle-factor, I won't lie...but it's also not a bad series (not including the non-fighting games) and it's nice to get Tina to break peoples bones while they're knocked out on the ground trying to get back up...^_^ Lots of hawtness & pandering to the lowest common denominator, but guess what? I'm a part of that group and if I can look at beautiful 3D models while I kick the shit out of whoever the fuck & have fun at the same time all the better.

As for FPSs, I don't usually go for the realism of games like Counterstrike (or even WWII FPSs really)...I usually like fairly simple maps, but not many seem to go too far out w/their designs, so this is rarely a problem...and anyways, in big maps, you're usually up against so many people that you don't worry about where to go, you just keep running into people non-stop anyways...My favs are the oldies but goodies Quake Arena & Unreal Tournament...idk how either of the newer sequels play, but I'm sure they're kickass still...Half-Life was really neat too.