Author Topic: Satanism = Bad?  (Read 8558 times)

Gluttony

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Goose
    • View Profile
Re: Satanism = Bad?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 10:30:29 am »
The topics of Politics and Religion is an issue that really anybody can find themselves lost in. But yes.....I'm seeing what you mean, I've been reading a bit of the thread now.

I wonder when this thread will start to get the LOCKDOWN.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 10:42:06 am »
Even though I'm not in this "conversation", it SHOULDN'T be locked down.  Conversation like theology and politics may not always be pretty, but they should always be OPEN conversations for those willing to partake - that's the great thing about personal freedom and will.  Sadly, not everyone is going to be fair, nor open minded, nor will everyone see each other eye to eye...  but such conversations should never be shut.

Gluttony

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2008, 10:48:05 am »
Well, In my humble opinion, when a conversation starts to become a spiteful or hateful angst between two or more people.....then the thread will start to lose meaning. Which does happen quite frequently in these kind of threads. That does more harm than good. That's the only reason why I would advise giving it the "LOCKDOWN". But hey, to each his own!

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2008, 12:14:19 pm »
I have the slightest feeling I've created another "Oh no. Oh God No." thread.

Yes, possibly the twentieth one. It's a rule of thumb in here: Any discussion, if pressed hard and long enough, will always boil down to the same fundamental arguments, some wearing different costumes and masks, some still (or yet again) naked but with a slight, barely noticeable change in approach.

I'm not sure if it's angry, scared or both or, in case it's both, which one causes the other. Still, it's cute.

Ramsus

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
Quote from: Ramsus
Actually, Josh, my motives for being just and reasonable have nothing to do with any sort of reciprocal goodness (which is a weak motive to begin with; I would have returned to a cynical apathy with the addition of being disillusioned with philosophy), and I only hold people accountable to how they should reasonably act based on what sort of person they are. I would treat a thief fairly and with compassion, not in hopes that he should treat me the same, nor because I would hope that others treat me in such a manner, but with the expectation that he should rob me and continue to do so unto others.

So, your justification for your stated pursuit of living in “this single moment” with “unquestionable justice and righteousness,” that you may “treat all honestly and fairly and with compassion and understanding” (“while doing all that is within (your) power to improve the condition of (your) fellow man”), is not out of a desire for, as you put it, reciprocal goodness, but instead...a desire to accept everything as it is?

I can't be reading that right. Whence, then, “justice and righteousness”? Unless your sense of ethics tells you that the world is fine exactly the way it is (which is an assertion you would not be able to defend), there is no reasonable way for you to espouse a position of letting everything be. So I have to assume I  misunderstood you.

I know you “dare not waste time putting that into words,” so, take it or leave it as you like, but...if you do know what you're talking about, could you share it with the rest of us?

All that we have control over is our own thoughts and actions. How can anything outside of that be deemed good or evil as it befalls me? Everything outside of my control is only natural, and I am indifferent to it. Thus, there is only good and evil in the choices that we make as individuals. Freed by the faculty of reason from the earthly passions of animals, we are given the choice to live a virtuous life, and if that should not be possible, to give up life.

Why concern yourself with the man who robbed you? What difference does it make that you feel wronged and full of contempt? This changes nothing. Be at ease with yourself and move on.

Every day you will meet people who know nothing of virtue, but why should you be the same?

That is how I feel and understand things, and that is why I see my role as fulfilling the greatest possibility that I can, according to my own talents and abilities, and the condition of my birth.

In that way, I don't see this as resigning myself to anything. Instead, this sort of mindset demands that I live up to the greatest possibilities in the most virtuous manner, changing the world as I am most fit to do so. If I had been born a peasant or slave, but still intelligent and capable, I would have seen it as my duty to destroy the very system that enslaved me and my fellow man and bring about a free society. Yet, had I been born a slave capable of nothing, I would have simply lived with grace as a slave, indifferent to a condition I could not change and yet living life with complete virtue.

Tsk tsk. Ever the abrasive grunt. Spare your petulance for somebody who gives a damn. You got gripes with me, list 'em. Otherwise, in your immortal words, fuck off.

Intellect is not measured in doubt but in curiosity. A cynical man may be able to strip away falsehood to reveal truth by asking, "Is this really so?" However, a true intellectual instead asks, "What is this? How did it come to be? What purpose does it serve?" and seeks to find understanding through curiosity.

I fear you may have become nothing more than a cynic.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2008, 01:52:20 pm »
I know I'm not the only person here who admires the fact that Ramsus responded to the words "f off" by shrugging them off. I also admire Lord J's observation that it is the very interest in these discussions that give threads like this some value despite their nastiness at times. I have come away from this thread with a fresh, young mind as that dude in the Twilight Zone movie put it. I hope others have done the same.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2008, 01:53:31 pm »
[quote="Keith Elder]The smarter someone is the easier it is him to justify a flaw.[/quote]
I alway liked that rule and have lived trying to be an exception to it.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2008, 02:54:35 pm »
Well, In my humble opinion, when a conversation starts to become a spiteful or hateful angst between two or more people.....then the thread will start to lose meaning. Which does happen quite frequently in these kind of threads. That does more harm than good. That's the only reason why I would advise giving it the "LOCKDOWN". But hey, to each his own!

Doesn't take very long when it comes to religion.

But they love it.  They keep coming back for more.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:57:05 pm by placidchap »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2008, 02:59:32 pm »
This is one of the problems with not being online over the weekend; I am eternally late to the debate party. And of course, the conversations always shift away from the original question/topic, which in this case is particularly interesting. So I suppose I’ll have to split my post; the first part to address Satanism and the second to address… well, everything else.

Episode I: The Satanic Menace

Is Satanism bad?

Well the name certainly is. Satan does have some rather strong negative connotations, so relating it to the religious groupings transfers some of those negative connotations to them. This sets the religions up for knee-jerk responses. Hardly ideal for a discussion; just calling it by its name feels like I am using weasel words.

One thrust behind the religion (LaVeyan variant) is that one should satisfy urges (albeit responsibly). To my understanding, this might be expressed in the following: Feeling randy? Go have sex (but don’t rape). Feeling hungry? Go eat (but maybe not 13 cheesecakes). Angry? Express it (but don’t kill). And so on and so forth.

This particular form seems to be to be directly contrary to some classical definitions of human behavior. Humans have the ability to delay gratification or to suppress it all together. Hungry? Meh, I need to loose weight so I wont eat this meal. Angry? Deep breaths, calm down, don’t act on it. Randy? Wait until the time is right (married, been dating long enough, agreed one-night stand, prostitute, etc).

If that is a correct understanding of LaVeyan Satanism, then I would say that indeed it is bad. Not specifically because it promotes the satisfaction of desires but because it demotes the role of human will. However, my claim that it is bad is not one resulting from logical arguments; rather, emotions. If no one had noticed, I like to think that I place a high importance on “thought” (if I do or not, that is a different matter) and I have generally found desires to be a great impediment to thought (and other related elements, like logic). It would be so wonderful if we could decide, consciously, when we want to be hungry, angry, or randy. But no, desires are what interrupt us, what bends our minds away from what we were doing before the desire came along. If I am arguing, anger gets in the way of making an effective argument. If I am dieting, hunger gets in the way of my goal. If I am working on a project, amorous feelings distract me.

Desire is that which distracts us, that which demands our attention. Thus I emotionally rebel against it because I don’t like the idea of my body telling me what to do (ah, but that requires that I see me and my body as separate things! That is something not everyone would agree to). Though the analogy is slightly demeaning to the human experience, it is like my body is a dog. If it is whining for food I could satisfy its hunger immediately; if it is pawing at me for attention, I could give it such. But doing so does not produce a well behaved dog, one that functions well in society. Indeed, such is dangerous because the dog might begin to see itself as the master in the relationship.

So that is why I’d claim LaVeyan Satanism is “bad;” it emphasizes the body whereas I think I emphasis the mind.

But that in no way makes it objective “bad.” For it to be so, I’d have to argue that the mind should be emphasized over the body. After that, I’d have to argue that this form of Satanism actually emphasizes the body over the mind and does so to a dangerous degree. I’m not going to do so (I am not even sure such would be possible). But now you know why I would say it is bad and if by chance you are similar to me in those few regards, you might say it is bad too.

However, since I have heard it brought up a few times elsewhere (not in the forums, mind you), allow me to address a heavily flawed attack against Satanism. I have heard it claimed that Satanism is bad because it harbors racist groups. While such is true, that doesn’t exactly make Satanism bad (or at least, no more so than many other institutions). We can no more fault Satanism as a whole for groups like the Joy of Satan than we can fault Christianity for groups like the Klu Klux Klan or Science for fields like Eugenics (or individuals like James Watson). No one has brought this up yet, but it is a nasty attack that seemed best to address before it is needed.

Episode II: Attack of the Quotes

We have this moral ban on nudity, and it never gets questioned...but that doesn't make it right.

The statement could also be flipped; that doesn't make it wrong. The interesting thing is; nudity has a particular power specifically because it is taboo in our culture. Remove the taboo and you remove the power (for example, you wouldn't be having nude parades in Seattle). We see this also in swear words; they are potent elements of our language specifically because there is a moral ban on them; they are swear words only because society has deemed them so, and it has done so rather arbitrarily too. But when society forgets, the words loose their power. “Gadzooks” will probably only stun a handful of people nowadays, even religious folk. But that is in part because few people know what the word is actually saying (corrupted form of "God's Hooks," aka the nails that pierced Christ) and why it could be conceived of as offensive (taking the Lord's name in vain). As a society, we are largely fine with a 3 year old saying “Gadzooks.” Not so much if the kid was exposing current vulgarities.

Religion totally aside, there is a particular benefit that comes with giving certain words and actions the power to shock and offend; protest. As long as humans function in a society, some groups will have a message that is counter to the status quo and thus they will need means of protest. Formal letters of complaint are all well and good, but unless one can catch the publics attention one will be hard pressed to make the desired changes. Protesting in the nude is one way of doing so. Or, if we might take a look at history, Martin Luther's burning of a Papal Bull falls into the same category (of protest, not nudity). Same with those blacks who performed sit-ins during the Civil Rights movement. Breaking taboos is an important aspect of civil disobedience; would it be a good thing, then, to do away with taboos, even if it stops people from "living a lie"?

Beyond just civil disobedience, the taboos against sex and nudity also has another manifestation that would disappear if the taboos disappeared. Much of college culture is based on these taboos; the administration tries to warn students about STDs, casual sex, sexual exploration, etc, while the students revel in nudity and sex. Don't believe me? Take a stroll through a college dorm about a month into the fall semester/quarter and take notice of the pictures people place on their doors. You will see a few themes again and again; sex, nudity, general "craziness" (which culture defines as participating in events that are not normal), and individuality. College is also the time when most people become socially aware and motivated. Remove the taboos, and you'll remove the experiences that prompts large swatches of our population to question "the system." Remove the taboos on sex, nudity, and crazy behavior and what will then facilitate the exploration of individualism?

But if this is his conclusion, then what is his argument? Ah! There is none. There is only “What if?” He asks this six times in his post, and then draws out from it the implicit rationale that merely by questioning the conclusions of others do his own conclusions gain currency.

Spoken like a true lawful evil character ;)

However, if I might so suggest, you and Daniel take very different argumentative approaches. You are someone who very much "tells it like it is" (well, you tell it like you perceive it, which for you is the same thing) while Daniel is much more someone who would rather the individual think on the matter and come to the conclusion him or herself. To put it another way, you've done the thinking and tell people what the “right” result is while Daniel's done the thinking but tells people how to get the “right” result themselves (of course, "right" and even "thinking" are subjective terms in this particular case). So yes, Daniel asks "what if" quite a bit, but you use fiat quite a bit in turn.

Similarly, Daniel seems more interested in the individual taking the journey; at no point did he say what was a right or wrong conclusion, rather he encouraged an individual to questions everything; questioning the system only questions some things. And similarly, you seem more interested in the individual reaching your destination, journey be damned (especially if the journey leads someone to a destination different than yours). This seems to result in you disliking what you would perceive as wasted effort. As you put it:

[...] why even bother? [...] look elsewhere!

I don't mean this to be an attack against you or a defense of Daniel (I don't believe either are really necessary), just a potentially different way to look at your opponent.

That works. I find that there's a spiritual aspect to finding one's "purpose" in the "grand scheme of things." Although religion, and for that matter, "tradition" compete with and try to override the individual's quest for purpose.

Occasionally that is true but the original purpose of religion and tradition is to help the individual in their quest for purpose. This is specifically by offering a predefined "purpose," which may or may not fit the individual, but that really only makes religion and tradition the frozen dinners of the spiritual world. They don't compete with or override our hunger for purpose; they attempt to satisfy that hunger. However, they just might not be the best things for us (again, like frozen dinners). And because I'm neutral, they might also be better for us than alternatives (a frozen dinner is still better than eating naught but ice cream).

... for some reason I am amused that I just compared religion to frozen dinners.

While you're sitting there, trying to figure out what a rose is, how it grows... you've missed its beauty. And maybe that's all there is. But do we lack because of that? Or is it in that mood that we are truly awake?

That is one of the reasons that I generally would disagree with Nietzsche (I don’t understand him enough to specifically disagree); trying to figure out what a rose is and how it grows may make us miss the beauty of its form but there is a beauty in how it grows and what it is that we would miss if we only looked at its form. At its worst, a search for answers gives us different beauties to admire, even if they are fleeting. At its best, a search for answers gives us definite beauty to admire while not subtracting from the surface beauty. To ask, to seek, to pursue, to be a knight-errant, seems to me to be the most pragmatic choice. Of course... I had to read a novel based on comic books before I began to understand nihilism in the first place. And understanding that seems necessary for properly comprehending Nietzsche’s many works (something I still haven’t accomplished).

I'm not trying to be rude or insult your topic, but this is my opinion of what's wrong with religion, people never shut up about it. Why can't we be content with what WE have and not worry about what other may or may not have in that respect? Granted if something specific someone does, because of their religion, has some negative effect on you, you have a reason to be upset.

Sad that you won’t read any of this, but it is useful to address the issue for the larger audience. Is it bad that people bring religion up? Is it bad that people try to convert others?

Let me be sneaky and replace "religion" with something less loaded. Seeing as I am a fan of it, I will suppose the TV series “Doctor Who.” Is it bad that I bring Doctor Who up? Is it bad that I try to convert other people to watching it?

I am a great fan of the TV show, I find it to be one of the best TV shows ever produced (if not the best), and it is because I think it is such a great thing that I think other people would enjoy it too, if they would but watch it. Is this behavior somehow bad? If so, why? If not, why do we then find that behavior reprehensible when applied to religion? From a religious perspective there is certainly a great importance on the question of if we have an immortal soul and what happens to it when we die (well, I say "religious perspective." Not all religions do believe in immortal souls and don't concern themselves with the afterlife). With the stakes higher than a TV show, and the benefits greater too, it seems almost irresponsible of the individual not to talk about religion, to not try to convert other people. It essentially requires us to demand people be apathetic to the very things they feel strongly about.

Or perhaps we should replace "religion" and "Doctor Who" with something important but not so loaded: Freedom. If I have freedom, should I merely be content with what I have and not concern myself with the question of if other people are free or not? Perhaps in the modern American setting some would think this is a valid stance. If we place ourselves anachronistically in history, would it be good for us to ignore the question of other people's freedom in the ante-bellum south? Would it be good for us to ignore the question of freedom in Khmer Rouge Cambodia?

This, of course, applies to both sides, to the religious and non-religious. We aught no more fault Josh, Zeality, or indeed even figures like Richard Dawkins, for their attempts to dissuade people from religion than we should fault Daniel, myself, or figures like Francis Collins for defending religion and attempting to further it. It is still better to discuss it, to attempt to further what one believes is right, than it is to know the truth but keep quite about it. Of course, that is coming from a Christian who does believe in equity, sharing, and that the needs of the community outweigh the needs of the individual. I am rather biased in that regard.

There's nothing wrong with ANY religion...
So there's 'nothing wrong with' suggesting homosexuals and women should be persecuted, for example?

Now is that an argument for tolerance or intolerance?

That is, of course, one of the great false teachings of the modern age; that we should be tolerant of other beliefs, different cultures, foreign customs, etc. If we are tolerant of everything, then we'll tolerate anything. Such as tolerating the persecution of women or homosexuals or neoconservatives or liberals or religion or science, etc.

Tolerance, when applied blindly, can allow for great social ills to persist with no or small hope of correcting them. While in turn, intolerance, when used properly, allows for great social ills to be corrected (though to be fair, intolerance is far more capable of causing social ills as well, when compared to universal tolerance).

The thing I don't like about Christianity is that people believe every single word in the bible is God's word.  Do people ever think that words change over time, new things get added, the words get twisted to make it seem like others are terrible or wrong?  I'll end my statement with that.

I quite agree with you. Given that different Christians believe different words are even the word of God, beyond what those specific words mean, it seems ridiculous when Christians insist that every single word is literal and unchangeable. For example, Christians disagree on if the Septuagint is cannon or if the original Hebrew version is the only one that is valid. Christians can’t agree on exactly what words are God’s, how much less aught we be firm on what those words definitively mean.

Rather, the only real good a man can achieve is virtue through self-control -- that unlike lesser men, who are compelled to act merely as their emotions and feelings urge them and do things that would cause harm to their moral well-being, we can be free from being mere animals and always choose to be virtuous.

I am not well studied in philosophy (indeed, even the phrase "not well studied" implies more of a degree of knowledge than I actually have), but I did study history which at times touches the subject. From that limited exposure and perspective, I would feel comfortable to state, judging from a statement like that (and your previous post), that I think you'd fit in rather well with the likes of Immanuel Kant or Socrates.

I have the slightest feeling I've created another "Oh no. Oh God No." thread.

Nah, it isn't nearly that long or deep. For one, the focus isn't as much on religion v atheism as in that thread (which itself was merely an "Atheism" thread part II, which in turn seemed to be a continuation of older threads from before my time). The arguments are quite different, the topic is slightly different, and the general tone has been much more positive than I would have thought (which isn't to say everything has been positive, just more positive).

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2008, 03:18:39 pm »
Can't wait to see what you come up with for "Revenge of the Sith," Thought. I largely agree with the frozen TV dinner analogy, though I guess others will follow up with a comparison to hemlock. If we start out eating frozen dinners, it certainly encourages us to search for "the true recipe" if we feel dissatisfied. I guess my approach has been to try out different microwave settings, and then put a healthy lump of ice cream on top of the dinner to make it more palatable.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:20:45 pm by FaustWolf »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2008, 04:44:04 pm »
Quote from: Lord J
Nietzsche rejected metaphyiscs (or intended to), and Christian values along with it. But what you are implying here is that Nietzsche was nihilistic himself, which is one of the grossest and most pedestrian mistakes people make when reading him, abetted because he himself assented to that label and wrote about the subject extensively. Nevertheless, Nietzsche was as far from being a nihilist as you are; he was by all measures positivist and in the end was not so different in his stance than Aristotle was. Frankly, you are not making any sense. I advise you go reread your texts.

Lord J, I never said that. Faust said that, but I never got around to correcting him. I never considered Nietzsche for a nihilist, nor, for that matter, you for one either. I do very well understand the disctinction between purpose and meaning; I know that purpose means driven by some other, deeper, thing, whilst meaning can be derived simply from things as they are. Why did you assume that I did not? In fact, I said that he would be more inclined to say that trying to find some deeper purpose will make one lose the beauty at hand. That was the one final thought I had on Nietzsche in that space. Was that fundamentally wrong? My philosophy mentor is going over Nietzsche in great detail... line by line, word by word, and I think I'm right in saying that. Yes, you are right, quite to the contrary he is a very strong affirmer of things. Again, why did you assume I meant nihilism when I'd so plainly said the opposite right there? How can I argue with you when, having written out an affirmation of Nietzsche's beliefs, you tell me that I'm ignorant and proceed to merely say again the selfsame thing I set out to say?

What was the topic's point here? We were talking about Satanism, then it switched to the nature of a relationship with a deity, when the whole think kind of got shot to wreck.

I've got a thought regarding why Satanism could be bad. Why call it Satanism? Because it purportedly worships Satan. Now, here's the dilemma. The figure of Satan is universally seen to be the 'bad guy' and as such, worship of Satan can be said to be evil. You might ask, 'what makes him bad?', to which I would ask, why even bother with the name Satan, and have some other sort of deity? A name is just a pointer to an idea or existence or some such. The point is, if one intentially uses the name that points to the idea of something negative... then what you are worshipping is wilfully negative. Whether or not it is objectively negative (that is, as some might say, there is no Satan, or that Satan is not evil) is rather irrelivant. In doing so one is actively taking the view that what is considered negative is 'good.' One can get around this by trying to heroify Satan as a champion of human freedom or something, but that is taking the figure to be something new and, in fact, you might then no longer call it Satanism but Prometheanism.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:36:09 pm by Daniel Krispin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2008, 05:31:44 pm »
Yeah, I was reading into what Dan said and assumed that lack of a great unifying "purpose" equated to the "nihilism" often associated with Nietzsche. Hmmm, it appears I lack an understanding of what nihilism is exactly then. And now that I review Wikipedia's entry on Nietzsche, it appears he may actually have been against nihilism, and therein associated nihilism with Christianity as part of his attack on it.

Is the "nihilism" Nietzsche wrote about the result of valuing the metaphysical (spirituality, the Divine, etc) over the earthly? And thus everything earthly essentially loses meaning to the believer? But the same wiki entry I'm reading suggests that atheists may also be nihilists.

Hope I'm not perpetuating some serious misunderstandings, but this is the wiki entry I've been reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism#Nietzsche_.26_nihilism

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2008, 05:35:46 pm »
Hey, why did you edit it?  That was a great post Daniel.  Not that I am part of the arguement but it was the first time I actually read a semi-long post and enjoyed it.  Spot on too, in my humble opinion.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2008, 05:38:20 pm »
Hey, why did you edit it?  That was a great post Daniel.  Not that I am part of the arguement but it was the first time I actually read a semi-long post and enjoyed it.  Spot on too, in my humble opinion.

Oh, heh, I got tired of ranting. Thought it might be wiser to get back to the topic at hand.

Though I just want to add one or two notes.

Firstly, I do feel inclined to point out to Lord J that we both are would-be Engineers. I am a Mechanical Engineering graduate, after all - though it's been a few years, I still retain in my mind the methods I was taught, and can keep pace with most of the concepts. I'd like to add that my 'second' field, as it were, is Greek Literature... I'm starting Masters studies in the fall. As Lord J has pointed out I am not all too greatly versed in philosophy - I was only exposed to it recently - but tend to take what I have indeed learned and muse over it myself and come to conclusions based on those considerations. When I do look directly at authors in my debates I feel inclined to cite them. This is, in fact, not name-dropping in order to make myself appear intelligent (though it might appear as such on the exterior), but is merely my academic training which demands I cite the sources of my ideas if they are not my own. It is neither aggrandising my learning nor is it appeal to their authority: I like to paraphrase, but even paraphrases need to give proper credit. If in doing so I seem to be pointing out what I have read and make myself appear larger by it, my apologies. That is not my intent. Only do understand that if I were to write down what would basically be a part from Kant and say 'this is a theory', I would feel very bad about not saying 'I don't have the ability to come up with this on my own, and instead have taken this from Kant.' I have a great aversion to misrepresentation, either if I appear less than I am, or more than I am. If anyone thinks that I've misplaced myself, then it's likely that I think myself to be different than I appear.

As far as my use of a mathematical idea in regards to Nietzsche goes, my apologies also. Perhaps it was not the best of analogies. However, I have a rather polymathematical mind, and it meanders freely between the artistic and the scientific, between the left and the right (Lord J, I suppose, would claim the same thing for himself being an engineer, as well as an artistic thinker), thoughts do freely range. At the time it seemed like the best way of speaking of it. As it is, it might not have been best. But the core of what I meant remains. I think Nietzsche in reducing things to their bare fact has made a mistake, and that things can be said to have their most important aspects expressed not in their barest truth, their gayest science, but rather in their application. It is a fundamental disagreement with Nietzsche. His question is a very important one, I'll admit, and it had me thinking in entirely different ways, but I came to the conclusion that he might be wrong. What it was was a response to a question from my philosophy mentor: is Truth nearer Metis, Athene, or Baubo? I attempted to express my view that it is not, as Nietzsche would have it, nearest Baubo, but rather Athene. Here is the reply I set forward, and you'll see my further 'mathematical' note at the end. In short, it is the idea that though truth can be expressed in its most basic, simplest, form, just like the derivation of a formula simplifies it, sometimes we must take the opposite, an integration. And, for those who know calculus, when you integrate you add a constant which can only be discerned by application of the formula by certain... darn, can't recall the term. Heh. Certain set points, at any rate. It is in that fashion that I see Truth: becoming more complex but clearer by application, rather than simplification. I attempted to give it a mathematical analogy because at the time I saw it as the best way. Anyway, here is my little reply on the matter.

Hopefully this gets us a little bit back to the subject at hand.

Quote from: Daniel
Let us consider all the three women that have been put forward as representing some concept of Truth in women: Metis, Athene, and Baubo.

The first seems to be truth of a wild, old, world, and to know more than gods and men (as per Hesiod.) She is an Okeanid, a sister of such pleasant deities as Styx. Like her breeding from the encircling sea, she represents an old order. The younger gods of order consort with her, but in the end she is a peril, and promptly destroyed. Her truth and wisdom might be considered the most elemental form, namely, she IS wisdom by definition (her name meaning merely ‘cunning’ or ‘craft’), which understands the order and truth of things innately. This, however, cannot be destroyed, even if it seems at times contrary to the desires of civilization, and therefore a union of the two is accomplished, leading to the second of the figures.

Athene seems to be a union of the old primaeval wisdom with the order of civilization (that is, Metis the Okeanid and Zeus the Olympian.) Though she cannot personify it in the same way, she adapts it into practical use in the doings of things. Her truth is also one more complex and deeper than Metis: whereas Metis might represent a sort of ‘worldly wisdom’ (that is, the sort which applies to the natural world), Athene represents ‘skillful wisdom.’ That is, Truth put to use for the common good within the context of civilization. This is entirely unlike Metis who intended to give birth to a child by Zeus that would be far mightier than him, and oversee his downfall - she was at odds with this god of order. Athene, in her capacity, is the absolute supporter of her father.

Then we have the third of the group, Baubo. This represents a sort of regression in the approach to truth and wisdom, extending back even before Metis. Indeed, Baubo has no wisdom at all, but might be seen to be pure, silly, truth. When truth is applied to living, the combination of this becomes the wisdom of Metis; when applied to the doings of society, it becomes the wisdom of Athene. But in its most unadorned and most visible form, Truth is as Baubo.

Now from this it might appear then that Baubo is, indeed, Truth in the purest form. However, this would be a mistake. For it is merely the simplest understanding of Truth. It is Truth in the same way that a painting is a painting; yet this is not the fullest understanding. As to entirely understand the painting we must understand the motivations that lie behind the painting, these being intrinsic, if not immediately visible, to the art as well. We can easily appreciate a work of art for its own sake, but the deepest truth of what it contains can only be perceived when we understand its facets. What this entails is understanding where these visible truths fit into the entire scheme. And in the same way, this is where the truth of Baubo, though in its purest, rawest, form, is lacking: we do not know where exactly it stands in relation to the rest, and as such only have it in itself. When we apply truth to the understanding of life, and furthermore who we are in society, we develop an interrelated understanding that, while telling us more of society, at the same time tells us more deeply of the nature of Truth. The more complex the application of Truth and Wisdom in society, the deeper our understanding of it becomes. And its application in nature is an intrinsic part of it. To speak of Baubo as Truth, therefore, is to speak only of the rawest, most basic nature of Truth, but to miss certain fundamental elements. To use an example from the study of physics, the velocity of a point is a union of its speed and vector. Truth is to velocity what Baubo is to Speed alone, bare of direction. The concept of Truth developed into its true form becomes Athene, which is Velocity itself (or, maybe, not the highest form, but of the three the nearest.)

As such, Nietzsche seems to have made a mistake of oversimplifying the matter of Truth, reducing it in physical terms to a single dimension. In fact, I think the very opposite is true. Truth contains more dimensions than we are able to discern, and that which we understand for Athene is only the highest our minds are able to understand, even as we cannot comprehend anything which lies beyond three dimensions. To reduce this to a single one for the sake of wonder is only a reveling in brute ignorance. It may provide us with a certain measure of gaity, but only after that old maxim that tells us ignorance is bliss.

A further example of the function of truth might be mathematically exemplified. If Truth is set to be a constant, the derivation is zero. No matter what constant we set it to, it is always derived to be zero. This, in essense, is the way the Baubo version of Truth, which Nietzsche contemplates, operates. It takes a step back and sees all that depth as foolish and best left modestly hidden by nature. And yet it tells us nothing new about the nature of truth. To understand why Truth here is this constant, and here again another, we must go the opposite direct, which in mathematical terms is integration. In the completion of the mathematics we will only ever add new constants that are, without initial conditions, unknowable. Yet by comparing various values, more of those solutions can be known, and the nature of the Truth can be better understood. This applied Truth teaches us the most about the actual Truth, and in analogy is nearest the divine Athene.

I would like to further add something that might run through the minds of everyone that reads such a thing as this as I write, and an accusation that Lord J (I think) overlooked. I do not purposely name-drop authors. I do, however, name-drop mythical allusions, and in that manner am the most horrid pedant. It's a technique taken from epic, though in doing so I'm nearer to the imitating Latin authors, less like the native Greeks whose allusions were part of their inherent mindset. In my defense, I do it chiefly to satisfy my own thrilled desire to see the references to antiquity, and the power I see in using such names - and simply the basic joy I derive therefrom - though I admit there might be a slight bit of elitism in doing so. Those who style to write in epic fashion always have that trace mood about them. My apologies for that. I am a pedantic writer when it comes to Classics. You'll never shirk from me throwing in a Styx or a Aidoneus or an Akhilleus wherever I can. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:51:00 pm by Daniel Krispin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2008, 12:46:59 am »
I think I'd like to bow out gracefully, for once. With a hearty “Well said!” to all major parties, I depart once more for the ethereal corners. But before I go, just a few stray thoughts of no controversy...

Those of you who are agitating for topic locks, or are getting upset at the acrimony or the disagreements, are missing entirely the point of constructive discussion. Even my exchange with Krispin is not a waste of time, because, if nothing else, it is useful for me. And if anybody else finds it useful, then so much the better.

Quote from: justin3009
The religion ITSELF is not what's wrong, it's the PEOPLE in it who do the dispicable stuff.

I covered this in my last post. You have done well to account for people whose actions cannot be justified by religious credo. You have not yet accounted for people whose actions follows directly from the same. It is as simple as that. Don't mistake that as me “bashing you down to nothing.” Take it as constructive criticism. It is nothing to you before you think it something. Think something useful of it, then.

Quote from: justin3009
This thread will never end until one of the mods lock it.  All this is going to do is start a pointless hating of people.

Oh, how I disagree with you there...

All that we have control over is our own thoughts and actions. How can anything outside of that be deemed good or evil as it befalls me? Everything outside of my control is only natural, and I am indifferent to it. Thus, there is only good and evil in the choices that we make as individuals. Freed by the faculty of reason from the earthly passions of animals, we are given the choice to live a virtuous life, and if that should not be possible, to give up life.

Why concern yourself with the man who robbed you? What difference does it make that you feel wronged and full of contempt? This changes nothing. Be at ease with yourself and move on.

Every day you will meet people who know nothing of virtue, but why should you be the same?

That is how I feel and understand things, and that is why I see my role as fulfilling the greatest possibility that I can, according to my own talents and abilities, and the condition of my birth.

In that way, I don't see this as resigning myself to anything. Instead, this sort of mindset demands that I live up to the greatest possibilities in the most virtuous manner, changing the world as I am most fit to do so. If I had been born a peasant or slave, but still intelligent and capable, I would have seen it as my duty to destroy the very system that enslaved me and my fellow man and bring about a free society. Yet, had I been born a slave capable of nothing, I would have simply lived with grace as a slave, indifferent to a condition I could not change and yet living life with complete virtue.

I am reading a strong individualism here. Is that closer to your meaning? If so, I commend you and have only one criticism: As I understand it, what you are offering is a worldview that relies upon the assumption that the power required for self-determination is freely available. In other words, you seem to assume that you, Ramsus, would still have been Ramsus, even had you been born into another body, in another time or circumstance, and thus, as Ramsus, would have been able to recognize possibilities from which you might strive to best change the world according to your abilities.

I'm here to say that it is not so. If you had been born a slave, ideology and philosophy would almost certainly not have been in your life. The knowledge and formal intellectual discipline required to even have the kinds of thoughts that lead to the recognition of possibilities from which the world might be changed for the better, was not available to slaves. It isn't even available today, in our supposedly free world, because most people have not got the means to ask the questions or even make the observations that set the whole ball of self-actualization in motion.

I sympathize with your individualist streak. I feel the same way myself. Where we differ is that I perceive an onus upon those who are able to see and to ask. It isn't enough to horde what modest wisdom we have all to ourselves. To me, virtuous living requires giving others the opportunity to think for themselves, and determine their own course in life. That's why I support causes like feminism and public education, and that's why I oppose troubles like Christian fundamentalism. You see, Ramsus, the fact of the matter is this: No matter how ambitious you are...no matter how honorable you may be, or how able to learn, no matter how talented you might become, none of this counts for a damn if you are born into a society where you are controlled, oppressed, disenfranchised, marginalized, or, worse, excluded or enslaved. It's that simple.

William Gates, Sr., once pointed this out, and went on to say that it is because we choose to live in this society together, paying taxes and abiding by the rule of law, that America and other countries have been able to flourish. Without our personal willingness to invest our wallets and our liberty into this common social enterprise all around us, the police would not function, the grocery store shelves would go empty, the concert halls would be looted, and society would collapse.

If even just for our own self-interest, to say nothing of true honor, we have to concern ourselves with others. It isn't enough to treat the rest of the world as what you call “natural.” Everything has to be on the table. Everything has to be “in bounds.” No sacred cows, no unconditional respect of one another's sovereignty. We are human beings, and we must interfere. The question, therefore, is whether our interference will count for anything virtuous. But that's where individualism comes in.

Disagree you?

Intellect is not measured in doubt but in curiosity. A cynical man may be able to strip away falsehood to reveal truth by asking, "Is this really so?" However, a true intellectual instead asks, "What is this? How did it come to be? What purpose does it serve?" and seeks to find understanding through curiosity.

I don't agree with you here. Curiosity is a component of intellect, not the measure of it. Curiosity is, in fact, the first of the Five Great Virtues in my personal philosophy. It is the beginning of our path toward enlightenment, and a necessary friend on the entirety of that road.

It's “curious,” then, that you should mention curiosity, because curiosity is something I know intimately. If we were to measure the innateness of virtues, curiosity is one of my two inherent strengths. It may not seem so, because so often here I end up arguing from an established position. If you could see me the rest of the time, you might get a wider and thus a better view of how I think and also how I live. Do not mistake my confidence in those subjects in which I choose to debate, for a dearth of curiosity in my overall personality. Surely you can see the logical gap in committing such an assumption.

Your questions, in the excerpt above, are all well-put. But I wouldn't even measure them as the mark of an intellectual. An intellectual is one who is rigorous in critical thought; nothing more. One who is curious, meanwhile, possesses the drive by which to ultimately establish an identity of...well, that's the thing. An identity of no limits.

I fear you may have become nothing more than a cynic.

Heh. If I were a cynic, I wouldn't waste my time here. Cynicism is about as unnatural to me as right-handed fencing.

Quote from: FaustWolf
I know I'm not the only person here who admires the fact that Ramsus responded to the words "f off" by shrugging them off.

It's his way. I was startled by it too, at first. He's a hardass...likes to swear, doesn't take bullshit, and cuts an imposing figure. No problem, though. That kind of persona is refreshing, in moderation.

We have to tweak our behavior depending on who it is we're interacting with. I assure you that I wouldn't cuss people out most of the time, but in Ramsus' case it is the least I can do, telling him to fuck off when he's being a fuckoff. =)

Quote from: Thought
However, if I might so suggest, you and Daniel take very different argumentative approaches. You are someone who very much "tells it like it is" (well, you tell it like you perceive it, which for you is the same thing) while Daniel is much more someone who would rather the individual think on the matter and come to the conclusion him or herself. To put it another way, you've done the thinking and tell people what the “right” result is while Daniel's done the thinking but tells people how to get the “right” result themselves (of course, "right" and even "thinking" are subjective terms in this particular case). So yes, Daniel asks "what if" quite a bit, but you use fiat quite a bit in turn.

Interesting.

I would take almost the exact opposite reading you do: Krispin is the one who begins with a conclusion, and then tries to build upon that. In so doing, he evades argument on behalf of his position and counterargument against the other party's position, opting instead for development beyond that which is actually under discussion. Now I grant that his style of speech seems to invite the listener to reach their own conclusions, but, when he begins with a conclusion, he's stacking the deck, because, in effect, the price of admission to join in debate with him is to accept his main point right from the onset. It's very hard to engage with him on a point where he has already made up his mind, and the consequence is, of course, that the other party is likely to be herded toward a predetermined milestone. Whether or not they realize that is another story, but often enough the scheme fails, which is why Krispin is so cautious about being fully truthful about his theological and political positions nowadays. Caution is typically a good thing, but in this case the effect is like under a wolf in sheep's clothing. Behind the gentle persona is someone who lusts for war, who feels very strongly about Hell and damnation (and all the other religious stuff), and who has crisp, ardent opinions on many political subjects. Ask him point-blank why he does not hold two otherwise identical people, one an atheist and one a Lutheran, in equal esteem, and he may even dare to reveal some of his inner self to you.

If we play by Krispin's rules and give him what he wants right from the start, then he becomes very generous and accommodating. That's why many of his more interesting statements are the ones that are off-topic. However, while this ballet can be altogether pleasant, I don't think it does much to help the other party with the hard thinking. If anything, it helps Krispin himself more than anyone else.

As for me...well. You're closer to being right. At my best, I invite people to reach their own conclusions. If you look at my first and second posts in this topic, that very principle is the essence of what I wrote.

But I am honest enough to recognize and admit that, much of the time, my exhortations strike more like imperatives. Talk to those who talk to me, and they would tell you of my imperious style. I respect intellect and give it room, but, when talking to people beneath me, I have a hard time being a good teacher. That turns out to have helped some people, such as Burning Zeppelin and ZeaLitY, who are able to learn from such a temperament. But for other people, I am too arrogant for them to be willing to overcome their [revulsion, pity, scorn} toward me. That is almost certainly as much my failure as it is their own.

All of which is to say that your criticism is fair.

Yet: I should also add that you, like Ramsus, mustn't mistake my tactical style within a debate as my sole or primary mode of engagement. When I enter into an argument, I expect to win. The argument is invariably on a topic I have dealt with before, and my opponent's incoming arguments are all familiar to me. While I do keep my eyes open for new revelations, rarely do they come up. Most argument for me is a matter of course...and not particularly educational for me, other than that it helps me hone my own arguments.

But when I am not arguing, my preferred method is to ask questions. I already know what I know, as it were, and thus to me the most useful thing is to let the other person do most of the talking, with me guiding the course of debate (if I want to probe something specific) or otherwise being introspective (reviewing my own knowledge for combination with the new).

And similarly, you seem more interested in the individual reaching your destination, journey be damned (especially if the journey leads someone to a destination different than yours).

Now that much is simply not true. The people who are the closest to being in agreement with me are the ones who I would challenge the hardest. Somebody who is very far away from me in thought can only be reached via sweeping strokes, but somebody who is vastly similar in thought can be challenged on much finer details. My most challenging and rewarding debates are with those who are very likeminded to me. On myself I am the hardest of all. That's one of the reasons why I can be as confident as I am on the limited number of issues where I feel competent to stand my ground in an argument.

If your assertion were correct, I would go easier on people, the closer they come to my position. That the opposite is true means you have misread the program. What is most important to me is that other people think critically. That, for me, is the holy grail. When people start thinking critically, real discussion happens. Meanwhile, when someone reaches a conclusion that does not fit with my own position, one of three things happens:

1. I see a flaw in their reasoning, allowing me to press the issue if I so desire.

2. I see no flaw in their reasoning, and attribute our different positions to matters of style, preference, or taste.

3. I see no flaw in their reasoning, and incorporate the new conclusion into my own thinking.

If you think about it, it should make sense to you that I am not interested in creating a bunch of Josh drones. That goes against my entire theory of human progress. I resent mimes and flatterers, and yes-people. I value independent thinking. That doesn't mean I will agree with what people are thinking, but, so long as the thinking is critical...that's good enough.

If that sentiment doesn't come through in my words here, then you are not being charitable enough in your allowances.

Tolerance, when applied blindly, can allow for great social ills to persist with no or small hope of correcting them. While in turn, intolerance, when used properly, allows for great social ills to be corrected (though to be fair, intolerance is far more capable of causing social ills as well, when compared to universal tolerance).

I just thought I might point out for the benefit of others that we are in agreement here. Even people like us have plenty on which we can agree. Since others in this thread seem to feel as though I would bash down anyone who doesn't agree with my philosophy, here is an example to the contrary.

Quote from: Krispin
Lord J, I never said that. Faust said that, but I never got around to correcting him. I never considered Nietzsche for a nihilist, nor, for that matter, you for one either. I do very well understand the disctinction between purpose and meaning; I know that purpose means driven by some other, deeper, thing, whilst meaning can be derived simply from things as they are. Why did you assume that I did not? In fact, I said that he would be more inclined to say that trying to find some deeper purpose will make one lose the beauty at hand. That was the one final thought I had on Nietzsche in that space. Was that fundamentally wrong? My philosophy mentor is going over Nietzsche in great detail... line by line, word by word, and I think I'm right in saying that. Yes, you are right, quite to the contrary he is a very strong affirmer of things. Again, why did you assume I meant nihilism when I'd so plainly said the opposite right there? How can I argue with you when, having written out an affirmation of Nietzsche's beliefs, you tell me that I'm ignorant and proceed to merely say again the selfsame thing I set out to say?

What you say you said isn't quite what you actually said. This is what you said to FaustWolf:

However, there is an out to all of this, one which I do not personally agree with, but which is a potent argument. Nietzsche. To Faust, Nietzsche might ask you 'who's to say there is purpose?' He would call all these religious teachers, all the poets, teachers of purpose to try and give us drive to do anything. But an illusory purpose! Essentially, it is an important component so that we are not weighed down by uselessness, but in fact life might have absolutely no purpose, and these teachers are just appealing to a sort of collective weakness in driving the herd onward. Maybe there's nothing deeper beyond the surface? He calls that the gay science. This whole idea that there is some deeper truth to anything gets us away from just understanding things as they are, from experiencing the manifold complex surfaces of things. Truth is nothing deep; it's just the base stuff as it is. There's nothing more to life than that. Spirtuality, religion... these are all expressions of purpose to try to give meaning to a life that is inherently meaningless. The strong one would do without such a sort of crutch.

Now, of course, I don't agree with this. I would put the idea that there is nothing deeper to truth than the silly surface as being similar to the argument that equations can be derived down to zero. Yes, one can do that, but often the nature of an equation, of a thing, is best known not by its barest fact but in its application. As such, truth takes on manifold facets revealing those things otherwise hidden. That is how I disagree with Nietzsche on these grounds. Nonetheless, it is a wonderfully brilliant question to ask.

So, in fact, I would say that 'religion', though it might stifle the individual, does not override the quest for purpose, but is in fact a manifestation of it (one can find purpose in the herd, after all!) But what one must really ask... is is there a purpose at all? And are you going to be strong enough to get beyond that need? That, I think, is what Nietzsche would be asking you. You're saying, Faust, you are much depressed that the answer may not exist? That's why Nietzsche can be unsettling. He shows a lot of facade and purposelessness in what we do. That, in fact, is the really tough question to approach. Are you still so enslaved to the ideas of the old morals that you must have a purpose in your life other than what it is? Why do you have to look for anything else beyond it? Okay, now I'm playing the Devil's advocate. But I admit that his is a potent argument.

That isn't a particularly cogent reading of Nietzsche. If I indeed understand you correctly this time, then I am inclined to suspect that you misspoke (or spoke incompletely) the first time around.

When I do look directly at authors in my debates I feel inclined to cite them. This is, in fact, not name-dropping in order to make myself appear intelligent (though it might appear as such on the exterior), but is merely my academic training which demands I cite the sources of my ideas if they are not my own. It is neither aggrandising my learning nor is it appeal to their authority: I like to paraphrase, but even paraphrases need to give proper credit. If in doing so I seem to be pointing out what I have read and make myself appear larger by it, my apologies. That is not my intent.

I have my doubts that this is sincerity and not rationalization, especially in light of the fact that you (still) prefer not to respond to any of my arguments directly. At this point, however, it probably doesn't matter if you are being genuine or not, so I may as well make some kind of show of amity. How about a “thank you for the clarification”?

Thank you for the clarification.

It is a fundamental disagreement with Nietzsche. His question is a very important one, I'll admit, and it had me thinking in entirely different ways, but I came to the conclusion that he might be wrong.

It would seem you did. You know, you once rebuked me for having the audacity to contradict the great philosophers of yore. I wish I could provide the link, but, alas, I do not remember the exact words of our exchange well enough. Suffice it to say, I may now assume that you have renounced your previous and would henceforth be open to the likes of us mortals arguing with those whose names live on.

Alas...too bad you didn't leave up your original post. I don't think I agree with placidchap as to its spot-on-edness, but at least it was your honest opinion. Better the enemy who speaks than one who stays silent.

Perhaps next time... =)