Author Topic: Free RPG Creator program?  (Read 2208 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Free RPG Creator program?
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:12:40 pm »
I don't have the money to purchase RPG Maker. Does anyone know of something similar to download for free?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: Free RPG Creator program?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »
Check your messages for a tip in the right direction.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:10:32 am »
There is many free rpg maker but the only one for know is rpgmaker2000 and the others are ESA protected and you cannot download it anymore.

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:21:56 am »
There is many free rpg maker but the only one for know is rpgmaker2000 and the others are ESA protected and you cannot download it anymore.
*cough* torrents *cough*

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:36:01 am »
*cough* torrents *cough*
:lol: Righto!

However, you may find RPGMaker 2003 somewhere over the net for direct download. XD As for RPGMaker XP, you NOW need to have internet connection >_> (WTF?!). Lol, RPGMaker ain't the only RPG maker around. There are lotsa other softwares that help, especially those 3D ones. XD I forgot their names, but you can either google it, or go search here ----> sourceforge.net

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:52:53 am »
He should be taken care of.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:19 am »
yeah, I am. Thanks placidchap, and I appreciate everyone else's inputs.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:49:25 pm »
However, you may find RPGMaker 2003 somewhere over the net for direct download. XD As for RPGMaker XP, you NOW need to have internet connection >_> (WTF?!). Lol, RPGMaker ain't the only RPG maker around. There are lotsa other softwares that help, especially those 3D ones. XD I forgot their names, but you can either google it, or go search here ----> sourceforge.net
Actually, I found *cough* bought a 'perfect' version of RMVX recently.(very nice, If I do say so myself)

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:34 pm »
well can you send me this PM

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:00:14 pm »
Please, why would you ever want to buy something when you could easily get it free?
Me? I'm the guy who puts little subliminal messages into my posts.

^-See?

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 07:19:59 pm »
Actually, I found *cough* bought a 'perfect' version of RMVX recently.(very nice, If I do say so myself)

RMVX is it better? I didn't use an rpgmaker for pc since xp for me is crap (If I only could work with variables and coding  :lol:)

I use to work in a project for ps2 called Chrono Breakers but I finally delete it and it wasn't finished.
Magus and Schala trying to destroy the time breakers (beasts that destroy time and space) Located in el nido and zenan was very good I made the world maps in 3D but I had struggle a lot with coding. Maybe I will start again!!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 07:23:44 pm »
MagilsugaM, are you used to working with the Blender modeling program at all? Lots of modeling work will need to be done for the Chrono Cross hack about a year from now I estimate, so you're more than welcome to join in the fun.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 11:23:43 pm »
I recently purchased (legitimately!) the license to RPG Maker VX, the latest version of RPG Maker which premiered in English a few months ago. I bought the license specifically for the legitimacy it confers, which will allow me to produce and distribute games commercially. VX also offers several improvements over the older RPG Makers such as RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003, including higher limits on variables, pictures, etc., flexible sprite sizes, and, far and away the most important, advanced scripting functionality, which is pretty much like getting the key to the city...if you know how to use it.

My advice to those interested in making their own RPGs is this: If you are just going to make games for fun, and aren't very serious about dedicating a lot of time and effort, I would recommend you “acquire” older versions such as RPG Maker 2003 out there on the Internet. The RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 versions are actually more functional and easier to use in some ways than the newer versions of XP and VX, plus—and this is critical—there is a wealth of games and documentation out there, whereas existing games and useful documentation for VX are very slim at this point, since the product is so new. Looking at other people's games, and reading good documentation, is the trick to learning how to effectively utilize the software.

If, on the other hand, you're serious about making games that you'd like to be able to distribute commercially (i.e., sell for money), then you need to buy a legitimate version of RPG Maker, and that limits you to RPG Maker XP and the newer RPG Maker VX, because there are no other legal English versions of RPG Maker for PC. Keep in mind that RPG Maker XP projects are not portable over to RPG Maker VX. Also, if you do decide to get VX, bear in mind that you get to download the entire program, fully functional, for a free 30-day trial, from the Enterbrain website. You can decide for yourself if it's worth plopping down that $60.

If you're hardcore at programming, you probably don't even need to mess with RPG Maker. There used to be more sophisticated game design programs out there, legitimately available for English download, such as Sphere, but I haven't kept up with these programs and I don't know if they are still up to date. They usually have a steeper learning curve than RPG Maker. Alternatively, you could code your own from scratch.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:38:09 pm »
I have no idea how to do coding... I stick with the easy stuff. I'd love to learn though; I aspire to be in the fields of character design/story development, but I'd love to try out designing and programming. I hear it's incredibly difficult though.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 11:41:48 pm »
Pretty much what Lord J said; if you're going to release a commercial game get the legit version. If you're just testing it out for 'non-commercial' use, get the demo or, if you need a little more evaluation time, a 'cracked' version. And as J also said the RM2k/3[eng] versions are rather good for 'pick-up-and-go' use(but 2k3 is still technically illegal to use/have).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:53:22 pm by BROJ »