Author Topic: Does the DBT exist as a 0th dimension?  (Read 4649 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Does the DBT exist as a 0th dimension?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 11:02:12 am »
But that would be a hypercube, not a tesseract, wouldn't it? (seeing as a tesseract specifically refers to a 4D hypercube).

The entire problem with the DBT being a tesseract (or a hypercube) is... well... the great repository of discarded timelines, from which The Time Devourer will reach out and bring death and destruction, is just a fancy box. It seems rather anticlimatic. A higher dimension in general I can understand, but a fancy box?

In the words of the immortal Kuni:
"You took the box! Let's see what's in the box! ... Nothing! Absolutely nothing! STUPID!"

Still, that might be the way it is.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 11:18:44 am »
Could "tesseract" refer merely to the entrance to the DBT, and not the DBT itself? I keep thinking of "tesseract" in the sense that it was used in A Wrinkle in Time, where it was apparently a fold in space-time. I wonder if Elranzer was translating "Angelus Errare" and not the DBT, which can be easily mixed up...

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »
But that would be a hypercube, not a tesseract, wouldn't it? (seeing as a tesseract specifically refers to a 4D hypercube).

The entire problem with the DBT being a tesseract (or a hypercube) is... well... the great repository of discarded timelines, from which The Time Devourer will reach out and bring death and destruction, is just a fancy box. It seems rather anticlimatic. A higher dimension in general I can understand, but a fancy box?

In the words of the immortal Kuni:
"You took the box! Let's see what's in the box! ... Nothing! Absolutely nothing! STUPID!"

Still, that might be the way it is.

But also ccould be located at the start of time not at the end like in End of time.
Before the big bang pure nothingness...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 10:26:41 am »
I keep thinking of "tesseract" in the sense that it was used in A Wrinkle in Time, where it was apparently a fold in space-time.

Looking over that wiki-summary, A Wrinkle in Time seems like it actually shares a few plot simularities with the Chrono Series. But that aside, I also like the idea of "tesseract" being used more metaphorically than literally.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 07:18:12 pm »
I wonder if Elranzer was translating "Angelus Errare" and not the DBT, which can be easily mixed up...

http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/meeres/t_ccw6.htm
預言者
「そうした分岐をおこすような場所は、
天使の迷う場所と呼ばれている。

Quote from: Nifty Translate
A prophet
 "a place from which such branch is started is called the place whose angel wavers..
I've also put Alf/Guile's line at Opasa Beach through a machine translator. Right now, it looks like the Japanese name is just the "Where Angels Lose Their Way".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:26:41 pm by Vehek »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »
Fascinating. Time to send Elranzer an email, if the one listed in his translation FAQ still works. I'll get on that soon. I'm extremely curious about the usage of "tesseract" and "Ultima Thule" now.

Starman Invincible

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 12:05:51 am »
I think the nature of the Darkness has to do with something that the developers conveniently forgot to explain that ties together a lot of loose ends in this game, such as the huge WTF moment that was the Dead Sea.