Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 80648 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2008, 02:20:23 pm »
Oh, yeah, I'd definitely want to see all the main characters--I thought that was a given--but as far as NPCs go, Melchior would be nice to see re-envisioned.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2008, 05:06:29 pm »
Well, yeah, but we were talking about two different artists...>_>

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2008, 06:14:36 pm »
Oh shit, I didn't even see you write Amano there--I figured we were still talking about Yūki--Amano's art is...strange to me. He's got a very artistic style, but it's just hard to understand at times. Half the time I wonder how the sprite designers try to follow his character designs.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2008, 07:41:12 pm »
Simply put: Sometimes they don't...>_>

What might be most impressive would be Amano's designs of some of the bigger monsters in the game...Lavos obviously comes to mind...But mainly I just imagine how bitchin that scene with Magus in front of that freaky statue with all those blue flames in that magic circle would look in an Amano painting (though it's also a scene I'd love Toriyama himself to give us)...

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2008, 08:06:10 pm »
Although I'm not a huge fan of Amano for game-art but picturing his art as "art", as in art you could hang in a museum, he's pretty amazing. Very imaginative...strange, but beautiful. Hell, I wouldn't mind hanging that blue-flame thing you mentioned above my fireplace.

SwordKing

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: If they re-released Chrono Cross...
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2009, 04:40:40 pm »
Personally, I'm just curious which system it would most likely be on. Given how the Element Grid system works, the DS might be a good choice. Any other ideas?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2009, 07:08:25 pm »
I know people are gonna disagree with me, but I'd think it'd be cool if they just replaced Guile with Arf. His design was sweet and I was dissapointed that he didn't make it into the final. Besides, Guile dosn't add that much to the story anyway, so it's not too big of a change.

Alf is just Guile's name in Japan...If you mean the design idea sketches of his character, which one? There's like 5...

The problem with adding leveling is the fact that in other RPGs you will actually learn new spells or abilities (certain abilities at certain times can mean do or die in many RPGs), this isn't really true for Chrono Cross (a few of them have a handful of Techs)...

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2009, 01:44:45 am »
Hah, maybe it's better to name him Alfador... or when Sneff changes him into a cat, he should look like Alfador.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2009, 02:59:12 pm »
Or when Sneff changes him into a cat, he should look like Alfador.

Wouldn't that be impossible? Guile can't be in the party at that moment.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2009, 03:20:06 pm »
Yeah, he won't join you when Serge is in Lynx's form.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2009, 01:59:10 am »
In order of importance to me:
  • Eliminate the Accents. Over time I grew to be able to ignore them, but to me they do not provide depth to the characters at all and in many cases really irritated me. In games accents should be rarely used, and if done so the few characters with accents will appear more unique.
  • Smaller Cast of Characters. Not necessarily as few as Chrono Trigger, but I would have preferred a smaller cast that had more unique speaking roles and expanded stories.
  • Increased contact with the CT crew. Unlike some others I don't feel the CT characters should have been playable, after all their story is over. But I feel that relegating them to such a small role in CC was a disservice to the characters and their interactions could have brought considerable depth to the story as well as giving a different perspective on the events transpiring ingame.

Cerestryo

• Earthbound (+15)
  • dear journal, 2052 sucked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2009, 02:19:12 pm »
If i could change chrono cross i would make it explain more about the fall of guardia,what happened to crono and others, explain more on the whole magic guild, eliminate the most annoying accents, eliminate the non essential characters (like Greco,Mojo, Pierre, Nikki, Mikki, Mel, Neo-Fio, Van, Gough etc.) from being in the game, explain more on the ghost children(are they crono marle and lucca or a bunch of ghost who like making us think there crono marle and lucca?), make guile secretly Magus who we don't know officially is him until the end, make schala look like she did in chrono trigger(blue hair and stuff), make harle less of a enigma and get rid of her fake accent, make serge speak, make it so that the Prometheus circut reveals it used to be robo, make it that the time crash is explained upon, change Glenn's name so people don't think he's frog, make turnip look less like a cheap frog knock off, make pip's more essential to the story because he's interesting and make his forms look more like devils and angels instead of just adding fur and changing his color and make his forms stay after you turn of the system. Also make it so that you can leave serge behind like you can crono in chrono trigger, give every one more development and backround, make gaspar and spekkio make a guest appearance in the bend of time, make that guy with buck teeth lose his buck teeth, get rid of the octopus decoration's in the bend of time, make the mystical knight's recognise guile as Magus in the battle if he's on the team, make the game not end in a huge cliff hanger.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:56:26 pm by Cerestryo »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2009, 08:03:17 pm »
If i could change chrono cross i would make it explain more about the fall of guardia,what happened to crono and others, explain more on the whole magic guild, eliminate the most annoying accents, eliminate the non essential characters (like Greco,Mojo, Pierre, Nikki, Mikki, Mel, Neo-Fio, Van, Gough etc.) from being in the game, explain more on the ghost children(are they crono marle and lucca or a bunch of ghost who like making us think there crono marle and lucca?), make guile secretly Magus who we don't know officially is him until the end, make schala look like she did in chrono trigger(blue hair and stuff), make harle less of a enigma and get rid of her fake accent, make serge speak, make it so that the Prometheus circut reveals it used to be robo, make it that the time crash is explained upon, change Glenn's name so people don't think he's frog, make turnip look less like a cheap frog knock off, make pip's more essential to the story because he's interesting and make his forms look more like devils and angels instead of just adding fur and changing his color and make his forms stay after you turn of the system. Also make it so that you can leave serge behind like you can crono in chrono trigger, give every one more development and backround, make gaspar and spekkio make a guest appearance in the bend of time, make that guy with buck teeth lose his buck teeth, get rid of the octopus decoration's in the bend of time, make the mystical knight's recognise guile as Magus in the battle if he's on the team, make the game not end in a huge cliff hanger.

Holy shit.

As awful as that was, there's actually a lot of valid points in there, I must say.

Here's hoping for a port of Chrono Cross!   :lee:

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »
Chrono Cross was a fantastic RPG. It was something new, but it still kept had some of the spirit of Chrono Trigger.

At first I hated a lot of the meaningless characters, but after awhile I began to realize that they were all part of the game's charm. It was a good deal of fun trying to collect them all.

I guess the one thing that bothered me about CC was that it took place in the CT universe, but that universe was greatly changed without any explanation. What happened to Guardia? Why? What's the deal with Schala/Kid? If Kid's here where's Magus?

Luckily this great site attempts to answer these questions, but the game should have given us a bit more closure. If not closure, then the game shouldn't have teased us with all these CT refrences.

I also felt the game was far too easy. I loved the idea that you could esacpe from any battle, even bosses, but if that's the case these bosses should've been extremely hard. I beat the game my first time through without ever coming close to death. That should never happen. Give me some difficulty.

Now, I'm by no means bashing Chrono Cross. It was a great game in its own right. I would've tidied up the story a bit, thrown the Gurus of Time and Reason in there, filled in some loose ends between the two games, and made it a bit more difficult.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2009, 09:49:53 am »
You'd think Cross would have Crono and the others in it, but the best you get is Belthasar, Lavos, and images of 1999 AD, Crono, Marle, and Lucca. Other than that, and the first word in the title, it's its own game.