Author Topic: Translation stuff, again.  (Read 9675 times)

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
Translation stuff, again.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 08:28:54 pm »
LOL, well, I was bored, so I translated another random scene for the hell of it.  This is the first visit to the End of Time immediately after leaving 2300 AD.  It's mostly as you'd expect, but there were a couple factual clarifications I hadn't realized were there.

老人「おや、またお客さんだ……。
ルッカ「客人って…… あの、ここは?
老人「ここは、『時の最果て』……。 時間のまよい子が、行き着く所だ。
 お前さん達、どっから来なすった?

Old Man: Oh, visitors again...

Lucca: Visitors, you said...  Um, where are we?

Old Man: This is the Far End of Time...  The place where time's stray children end up.
     So where did you all come from?

ルッカ「私達は、王国暦1000年から来たんです。
ロボ「ワタシはA.D.2300年の世界からゲートで……
老人「違う時間を生きる者が、4人以上で時空のゆがみに入ると、次元の力場がねじれてしまう……。
 しかし、この所、時空のゆがみが多くてな。
 お前さん達の様にフラリとここへあらわれる者もいる……。
 何かが時間全体にえいきょうをおよぼしているのかも知れんな……。
ルッカ「って事は、誰か一人ここに残った方が安全って事ね。

Lucca: We came from the kingdom calendar year 1000.

Robo: I came from a gate in the world of 2300 AD...

Old Man: When 4 or more people from different times enter a space-time distortion together, the power field becomes twisted...
     But in this place there are lots of space-time distortions, eh?
     Other people, like you all, have randomly appeared here...
     Perhaps something is exerting an influence throughout time...

Lucca: About what you just said, you mean it would be safer if we left someone here alone, right?

マール「ええ、こんなトコでおいてけぼりなの~?
老人「こんなトコはひどいな……。
 何、しんぱいいらんよ。ここはすべての時に通じている……。
 お前さんがたが願えばいつでも仲間を呼び出せる。だが時の旅は不安定じゃ。
 つねに3人で行動する事じゃ。
ロボ「デハ、ダレか残らないとなりマセンネ。
ルッカ「誰が残る? クロノ。

Marle: Huh?  [Isn't there any other way?]  <--educated guess

Old Man: It's a bit harsh, isn't it...
     [No matter what], though, no need to worry.  All times lead here...
     You can call out your comrades any time you want.  But the travel across time is unstable.
     Always mobilize with 3 people.

Robo: Well then, we have to leave someone behind, right?

Lucca: Who are we leaving, Crono?

ロボ「ゴヨウの時はいつでもお呼びクダサイ。
老人「……という事じゃ。
 Yボタンで私を呼び出せばここに残っている者といつでもメンバーチェンジ出来る。
 わすれんようにな。
マール「私達の時代に戻るにはどうやったらいいの?
老人「お前さん達がやって来た場所に光のはしらがあるじゃろう。
 あれは、あちこちの次元のゆがみと ここ、時の最果てをつなぐものじゃ。
 一度戻った事のあるゲートからは いつでもここに来られるじゃろう。
 光にかさなりAボタンを押せばゲートにもどれる。
 じゃが、そこのバケツからつながるゲートには気をつけるんじゃな……。

Robo: [If you have business in a time period], call me anytime.  <---educated guess

Old Man: ...So that's who's staying.
     If you call me out with the Y button, you can change members with the person left here anytime.
     Don't forget.

Marle: How do we get back to our own era?

Old Man: You noticed the pillars of light in the room you came from, right?
     Those are dimensional distortions that connect to here, the Far End of Time.
     You can come back here any time from a Gate you've returned through once.
     If you pile up together in the pillar of light and press the A button, you can go back through the Gate.
     But take care when it comes to the Gate connected with that bucket, okay...?

老人「おーい。
 そう、あせる事もあるまい。上のドアの向こうにも寄って行ってみなされ。

Old Man: Hey!
     Ah, that's right, there's one more thing I almost forgot.  You should also have a look behind that door up there...

「なんだ、おめーら? オレか? オレ、スペッキオ。 戦の神!
 こっからいろんな時代の戦、見てる。
 おめー、オレどう見える? >>強そう
 そうか。オレの姿、おめーの強さ。おめーが強ければ強そうに 弱ければ弱そうに見える。
 ん? おめーら、持ってるな。心の力を……。
 そうか、表のジジイ、それでここに通したか。
 おめーらの生まれるずっと昔…… 魔法でさかえた王国、あった。その世界、みんな魔法使った。
 けどその王国、魔力におぼれほろびた……。
 それから人は魔法を使えなくなった。魔族以外はな。
 だが、おめーら、持ってる。心の強さを。魔法は心の強さ、力。
 魔法は天・冥・火・水の4つの力でなりたってる。

Who the hell are you?  Huh, me?  I'm Spekkio.  The God of War!
     From here I watch wars all through the eras of the world.
     So how do I look to you morons, huh?

<<answer "You look strong">>

Oh, really.  Well, my shape is your strength.  If you bozos are strong, I look buff.  If you're weak, I look like a wimp.
     ...Huh?  You punks... you have it.  Your hearts' power...
     Oh, I get it, that old coot outside let you in.
     A zillion years before you brats were born...  There was a kingdom where magic thrived.  In that world, everybody could use it.
     But that kingdom drowned in its own power...
     Since then, people haven't been able to use magic.  Well, except for the Mystics, right?
     But you guys have it.  Your hearts are strong.  Magic is the strength of your heart -- your power.
     Magic consists of four powers: Heaven, Dark, Fire, and Water.

スペッキオ「ツンツン頭のおまえは『天』。
 このポニーテールのギャルは『水』の力。
 こっちのメガネのネーちゃんは『火』の力。
 てなぐあいに、魔法だけでなくすべてのものは、この4つのバランスでなりたってる。
 『魔法が使いたい~』とねんじながら、ドアの所からはじめて
 この部屋のさくにそって、時計回りに3回まわる!
 バターにならないよう、気をつけろ。

Spekkio: Spikey-head there is "Heaven".
     This girl with the ponytail has the power of "Water".
     And the chick with the glasses over here has the power of "Fire".
     The condition of everything in the world, not just magic, consists of the balance of these four.
     So keep thinking, "I wanna use magic," and starting from the door,
     walk around clockwise along the [wall] three times!
     [untranslatable], take care.

スペッキオ「よーし! ハニャハラヘッタミタ~イ!!  >>魔法を使えるようになる
 どーだ、新たな力わくだろ。ためしてみるか?  >>いいえ
 新しい仲間出来たら連れて来る。おめーら、オモシロイ。

Spekkio: All riiight!  Man, now I feel really hungry~!!

<<The group learns magic>>

So whaddaya think, excited about your new power, right?  Wanna have some fun?

<<Decline to fight>>

Hey, if you make new pals, bring 'em by.  You punks are kinda fun.

老人「おーい。
 ほ、やはりな。はるか昔の人々はみなそういった力を持っていたんじゃ。
 そう、はるか昔……な。
 お前さん達、何かとてつもない事をやらかそうというみたいじゃが
 まずはお前さんたちの時代にもどってみてはどうかな……?
 急がばまわれ…… ここにいると、そんな言葉の意味もよくわかってくるものじゃ……。
 何かあったら、いつでも来なさい。私がお前さん達の時間の道しるべになってやろう。

Old Man: Hey.
     Ah, just as I thought.  You have the same power now as those people from so long ago, hm?
     Yes... those ancient days...
     You all, [it may seem these absurd things are being said to deceive you], but
     how about you go back and see your own eras first, hm...?
     Hurry, but don't be careless...  Living here, I've come to understand the meaning of those words very well...
     If something happens, feel free to come here anytime.  I'll be your friend along this path you're on.

There are a few things here in brackets; I'm fairly sure of the meaning of all these places, but the specific phrasing or vocabulary used might be off.  In particular there's one place where Robo uses his annoying habit of saying words in katakana instead of kanji, which makes it much harder to figure out what meaning was intended.  Similarly, the one line I couldn't translate at all was a line of Spekkio's that had the same problem.

I skimmed through this part during my single playthrough of the JP game, and so I was rather surprised to find while translating that Spekkio speaks quite roughly.  A lot of the phrasing I chose to use for him is less literal in an effort to convey the slangy tone in his speech.  In particular, you can see I was struggling a bit to express the sort of casual insult implied when he calls the group "omeera" (for which I used 'you punks', 'you brats', etc).  Basically he sounds as though he's sneering down his nose at the group all the time, possibly playfully and possibly not.  Gaspar also has a slang of his own that you could basically term "stereotypical Japanese old man dialect", which isn't really translatable.

Two bits here related to the canon stick out at me:  First, you'll notice that Lucca says she comes from "kingdom calendar year 1000" rather than 1000 A.D.  It's interesting as it seems to imply a slightly different calendar system might have been used in Guardia at one point, though I doubt this is ever picked up anywhere else in the game.  Second, in the official translation Spekkio says that after Zeal fell, only "sorcerers" could use magic, but in the Japanese version he very clearly says that magic now belongs to the Mazoku/Mystics.

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 08:42:38 pm »
Yeah, I noticed that the English version usually refer to Mazoku as mystics, but there are a few instances where the original word was Mazoku, but they use a word like wizard or sorcerer instead.

Another example that comes to mind is the Frog Vs. Magus ending.  I'm fairly sure the original word was Mazoku in the Japanese version, but the English version says "We Wizards and Humans have brought about our own ruin"

As for Lucca not saying 1000 A.D, maybe she's anti-christian.  Being a heavily thinking person involving herself deeply in science, it wouldn't surprise me...  Heh.  I'm half-joking of course.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 08:57:45 pm »
Aha, so that entire issue is cleared up. Such is the power of retranslation. It's a bit sad that all the discussion on that wizards subject has been invalidated in the blink of an eye, but no worry; we know the truth -- that the wizard statement was a mistranslation, justifying its totally out-of-place wack implications (wizards during/after Zeal?).

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 09:42:58 pm »
The previous "GameFAQS crew" knew that little tidbit back in 01.

I wonder if there's anything else we know that you guys still don't :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 10:46:56 pm »
Thanks for sharing it earlier

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 10:49:47 pm »
No one asked! =D

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 01:23:03 am »
Oh, really. Well, my shape is your strength. If you bozos are strong, I look buff. If you're weak, I look like a wimp.
...Huh? You punks... you have it. Your hearts' power...
Oh, I get it, that old coot outside let you in.
A zillion years before you brats were born... There was a kingdom where magic thrived. In that world, everybody could use it.
But that kingdom drowned in its own power...
Since then, people haven't been able to use magic. Well, except for the Mystics, right?
But you guys have it. Your hearts are strong. Magic is the strength of your heart -- your power.
Magic consists of four powers: Heaven, Dark, Fire, and Water.

Something about this interests me.

From this interpretation, it seems to suggest that humans are by no means "denied" the capacity to use magic. Before Spekkio ever "enables" them to use magic, he claims they have the power - strength of heart.

Its not radically different from our English translation, but I think the Japanese leaves a loophole for more humans to have the capacity to use magic than merely Crono & Co.

Anyone else getting this impression at all?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 10:52:45 am »
Yeah, I'm getting that feeling as well. Perhaps this can be used to explain how RD's Serge could use magic.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 06:33:53 pm »
Quote from: Symmetry
Something about this interests me.

From this interpretation, it seems to suggest that humans are by no means "denied" the capacity to use magic. Before Spekkio ever "enables" them to use magic, he claims they have the power - strength of heart.

Its not radically different from our English translation, but I think the Japanese leaves a loophole for more humans to have the capacity to use magic than merely Crono & Co.

Anyone else getting this impression at all?

I think you're right.  I always sort of thought that Spekkio was more awakening the powers they already had than he was giving power to them.  Though if we infer that magical strength is based on the power of your heart/soul, which his dialogue seems to be pointing toward, I guess it would depend on the soul of each individual person whether they had enough innate magic to be capable of casting spells or not.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 09:22:05 pm »
JLukas is working on the script. I'll mirror his post at ACMLM's in case you'd like to help; a translator named Heian-794 visits that board.

http://board.acmlm.org/thread.php?id=8810&page=1

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 11:36:30 pm »
Oh, excellent! :D  

Edit: So do you think Heian's going to want to do the whole project?  Or are you still looking at me for the main part of it?  As I've said before, someone more experienced would definitely be better (Heian seems to have noticed a number of dialectical nuances I didn't even know were there), but if he doesn't seem to have the time or inclination, I would still love to help out.  (Incidentally, I like to think I'm also pretty good with Early Modern/Shakespearean English, but I wouldn't want to edge in on anybody's territory, and it looks like he's quite interested in that.)

Oh, and I'm a girl.  *grin*

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 12:18:34 am »
Aha, I was leaning that way the entire time, but I didn't want to make the grievous error of getting it wrong, so I used the third-party 'he.' Excuse me!

Heian wants to help with it, so it sounds like he'd be up for doing portions, at least from my vibe. He seems to be a professional translator, as he has charged businesses for translation work. I suppose I'm not sure; once we get it ripped we can get everyone under the same roof and deal it out.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 12:41:04 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Aha, I was leaning that way the entire time, but I didn't want to make the grievous error of getting it wrong, so I used the third-party 'he.' Excuse me!

Heian wants to help with it, so it sounds like he'd be up for doing portions, at least from my vibe. He seems to be a professional translator, as he has charged businesses for translation work. I suppose I'm not sure; once we get it ripped we can get everyone under the same roof and deal it out.

No prob.  Females are a rather rare beast around these parts anyway.  ;)

Okay, sounds good.  I'm working on comparing the tables right now--would you be up for posting and/or relaying them where they need to go when I'm done?  Not quite sure where to send them, and I really don't want to make an account for the ACMLM board just to post in the one thread. ^^;

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 12:48:50 am »
Sure; JLukas also frequents the Compendium, so he may even get to it before I do. It'll be posted on board.acmlm.org regardless in case any passing guys want to assist with the project.

1000 something guys have only one post on ACMLM. Hilarious; it's a really popular board, and I believe the current center of ROM hacking for SNES and stuff (Chickenlump, Jlukas, Peer, others, correct me if TEK-Hacks or something else outclasses it).

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 01:10:15 am »
http://blood-colored.org/table_errors.txt  (UTF-8 txt document)

Okay, compared Bisqwit's table to each image and here's the errors I found.