Author Topic: Translation stuff, again.  (Read 9706 times)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Translation stuff, again.
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2005, 09:18:52 pm »
And thank you for thanking me.

Have you ever read Edgar Allen Poe's "Post Mortem"? I suggest we stop now.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2005, 03:43:20 pm »
Gee, thank you for thanking me for thanking you for thanking me. ;)

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2005, 03:58:30 pm »
This isn't Chrono Trigger related, but... I could use another translator for this.  I need a second opinion on it.  If you don't mind... could you give me your translation for this?

※瓦礫の塔外観でひとり止まるシャドウ。

「行け!インターセプター!」

※インターセプターを突き放す。

「元気でな・・・。」
    「ビリーよ。もう逃げずに済みそうだ。温かく迎えてくれよ。」

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2005, 11:42:46 pm »
Quote from: Hopeful Death
This isn't Chrono Trigger related, but... I could use another translator for this.  I need a second opinion on it.  If you don't mind... could you give me your translation for this?

※瓦礫の塔外観でひとり止まるシャドウ。

「行け!インターセプター!」

※インターセプターを突き放す。

「元気でな・・・。」
    「ビリーよ。もう逃げずに済みそうだ。温かく迎えてくれよ。」

※In the ruined tower, Shadow stops.

"Go!  Interceptor!"

※He forsakes Interceptor.

"Be well...

Billy.  Looks like it's over... I can't run anymore.  Please welcome me warmly."

....wow, that's sad.

From the JP FFVI ending?  A fanfic/doujin...?

Edit: I might add, depending on who your other translator is, they may disagree with me on some of the vocabulary here, but I chose the better-sounding translation over the strictly literal one.  I can break it down specifically if you need me to.

Edit #2: Corrected my stupid mistake as outlined below.  Sorry about that, I suck worse than usual on occasion.

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2005, 02:12:02 am »
Indeed.  FF6's ending.

I had an argument about the translation and the nature of it.  I think that from that line, it can be concluded that Shadow is finally going to welcome death.  But the other person I'm talking to says that it's completely ambiguous.

But if you can break it down a bit more, perhaps it would help.

The person I'm speaking to reads it as "I didn't run away and it's finally over" And I'm getting more out of it than that

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2005, 07:18:04 pm »
Quote from: Hopeful Death
Indeed.  FF6's ending.

I had an argument about the translation and the nature of it.  I think that from that line, it can be concluded that Shadow is finally going to welcome death.  But the other person I'm talking to says that it's completely ambiguous.

But if you can break it down a bit more, perhaps it would help.

The person I'm speaking to reads it as "I didn't run away and it's finally over" And I'm getting more out of it than that

Hm.  "Mou nigezu ni sumisou da" is slangy, and upon taking a second look at it, it's possible I'm misinterpreting it a bit.  'Su' is the same kanji as 'sumimasen', "I'm sorry", but it's unusual to see it written in kanji, and even last night I was wondering about the inclusion of 'sou' which wouldn't usually go with 'sumimasen'.  So I think the proper meaning of the line might be more like, "Looks like it's finished/ended/settled/over, I can't run anymore"; which seems to imply he was physically unable/exhausted.  Sorry, I was working too hastily, it seems.  How embarrassing. @.@

But I don't know where your other translator is getting that interpretation from at all.  Again, this is a slangy sentence and therefore I might be off with the sense in which he's using 'nigezu' (though I really think he means he can't run rather than he won't--it's definitely not past tense), but I have no idea where they've found the 'getting over and moving on' connotations of 'it's finally over'.  

The last sentence is "Atatakaku mukaete kure yo." and literally means "Please meet/accept me warmly".  It has the connotation of welcoming Shadow into somewhere he hasn't been welcome before, or to accept him as a member of a group/family.  I assume that would be the company of his dead friend somewhere in the afterlife.  I can't recall his English name, but I'm willing to bet his Japanese one was Billy, LOL.

Edit: Come to think of it, maybe your other translator is stuck on the 'ni' particle.  To me it connotes that he's saying because he can't run anymore, it's over.  I'm fairly sure that's correct, but your translator might know more than I do.  How long have they been studying?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2005, 05:31:02 pm »
Any information on http://www.journey-k.com/%7Emono_plastic/page004.html would be appreciated. Dhsu hooked me up with this; they're Japanese Chrono Cross arrangements and one remix of Corridors of Time. They're pretty good, so naturally I am adding them to the music section (in the style of VGMix/OCReMix). However, I have no author information or anything.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2005, 08:34:35 pm »
It's a personal site.  The author's name is エコツキ (Ekotsuki).

The front page songs are:

CHRONO CROSS
Death Sea (JazzMix)

CHRONO CROSS
Arni Village Home (Relax Mix)

CHRONO CROSS
Voyage Another World (ReMix)
[Genre listed as techno]

CHRONO CROSS
Garden of the Gods (ClearBlueHouse)
[Genre listed as "Relax Arrangement"]

CHRONO CROSS
Guldove Home (PoPMix)

CHRONO TRIGGER
Corridors of Time (eternity timeMix)

All the other genre listings are the same as their remix tag names in parentheses.

On the second page are:

クロノトリガー
風の憧憬
(Chrono Trigger
Longing of the Wind)
[Genre listed as 'Game']

CHRONO CROSS
時の草原 (LightPopMix)
Meadows of Time (LightPopMix)

クロノトリガー風の憧憬
無重力ver.
Chrono Trigger
Longing of the Wind (Zero Gravity ver.)
[Genre listed as Techno]

CHRONO CROSS
夢の岸辺(Relax Mix)
Dream Shore (Relax Mix)

CHRONO CROSS
星を盗んだ少女(AcidJazzMix)
The Girl Who Stole the Stars (AcidJazzMix)

CHRONO CROSS
去りにし者ども(ReMix)
The People Who Left (ReMix)
[Genre listed as "Relax Arrangement"]

CHRONO CROSS
クロノマンティーク(Full Speed Mix)
Chronomantique (Full Speed Mix)
[Genre listed as Techno]

I didn't check any links, so I don't know if the second page actually works or not (as it's an archive of stuff he's "not offering to the public" anymore).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2005, 08:59:18 pm »
Bah, they don't. I hate the locking away of music enlightenment and inspiration. These things are to be shared.

Well, still a good find. I'm going to list them under Personal Remixes, and credit the guy. I've backed them up in case his site ever goes down, or he places more into that "aint gonna show ya" page. I guess we could write him an e-mail, but that might be asking too much. Thank you, again.

Hm, I might be sounding like a real heel. If he wants to withold these remixes, no one can stop him, and it's entirely his decision. However, the Chrono side of me wants to somehow get them and liberate them for any possible inspiration they may lend. This is an interesting moral dilemma.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2005, 02:54:00 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Bah, they don't. I hate the locking away of music enlightenment and inspiration. These things are to be shared.

Well, still a good find. I'm going to list them under Personal Remixes, and credit the guy. I've backed them up in case his site ever goes down, or he places more into that "aint gonna show ya" page. I guess we could write him an e-mail, but that might be asking too much. Thank you, again.

Hm, I might be sounding like a real heel. If he wants to withold these remixes, no one can stop him, and it's entirely his decision. However, the Chrono side of me wants to somehow get them and liberate them for any possible inspiration they may lend. This is an interesting moral dilemma.

Nah, I know what you mean.  As a fan, I'd prefer they always be available for anybody who appreciates them... but as a creator, I know there's things I've written/drawn/what have you in the past that I'd rather nobody saw.  (Like my old CT fics that are, sadly, still available on Icy Brian's page.  *wince*)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2005, 05:34:09 pm »
If anyone's been watching the site the last couple days, I've been adding a metric ton of Japanese doujin arrangements and remixes. I'm almost done. I was able to find these from a person named niki, who runs http://www.saladedemais.com/ . She hasn't been on VGMCentral in a few days, though, but I was able to obtain all the Chrono remixes from these doujins. No other Chrono site, to my knowledge, has documented these collections.

Anyway, I noticed Serenade has a small BBS on its page. I feel like dropping a link to their Music section and seeing what they say. If you're up for it, its http://www1.rocketbbs.com/615/serenade.html . I'd just let them know I enjoy their Chrono stuff on Nostalgic Memories and that hopefully American fans can be exposed to it and hear it as well through http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Music_(Chrono_Trigger)#Nostalgic_Memories .

Edit: Yeah, they did World Revolution and Corridors of Time. World Revolution is exceedingly cool, and the piano Corridors of Time remix is pretty masterful.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2005, 12:08:19 am »
Hey Arc Impulse, could you take a look in the CT character library fo SattelaView and look for any unknow info about mosnter, bosses etc.

Another thing is translate the interview from Missing Piece.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2005, 04:13:48 am »
Quote from: Swordmaster
Hey Arc Impulse, could you take a look in the CT character library fo SattelaView and look for any unknow info about mosnter, bosses etc.

Another thing is translate the interview from Missing Piece.

Heh, and while your at it, the message from Johnny in Johnny's Jet Bike Special!  :D

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2005, 06:24:57 am »
O_O  Stuff to do.  eep.

In case anybody cares, I just thought you might like to know I'm still alive.  >_>;;;  I've been insanely busy in recent months; I'm studying as an exchange student in Tokyo, so I apologize for the prolonged absence.

The place certainly got a facelift while I was away...  egads.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2005, 08:17:27 am »
Quote from: Arc Impulse
O_O  Stuff to do.  eep.

In case anybody cares, I just thought you might like to know I'm still alive.  >_>;;;  I've been insanely busy in recent months; I'm studying as an exchange student in Tokyo, so I apologize for the prolonged absence.

The place certainly got a facelift while I was away...  egads.

No pressure.  Do however much you feel like doing, or none at all.