Author Topic: We Don't Need an FFVII Remake.  (Read 1063 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
We Don't Need an FFVII Remake.
« on: April 17, 2008, 07:33:23 pm »
Alright, hear me out.

Some of my most memorable experiences were gained through playing video games, and one that should be highly noted was Squaresoft's masterpiece, Final Fantasy VII.

Lately, there hs been much buzz about the PS3 Tech Demo, and whether that will spawn a remake of FFVII.

Personally, I really think that we don't need it.

FF7 had a certain charm to it, gamers that played a lot of games during the Renessaince Period of Games ( 1996-2001) would understand this. It's hard to explain... But there was something about that time that just made games be the best that they could be. The Playstation and N64 kept cranking out games that hit the best games of all time list (Final Fantasy VII-IX, Zelda: OoT, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Red/Blue, and even Chrono Cross to name a few).

And I hope that gamers who have played through FF7 are understanding me here. There was a lot of things about the game. For example, the graphics: Sure, they suck compared to the technology of today (you can count Cloud's polygons with your hands) But it was revolutionary for that time. And it gives a certain feeling, one that kept me hooked unlike the more recent FF's. And don't forget the music, either. It's nothing fancy like the games of today, but Nobuo Uematsu's talent with a Synthesizer/Keyboard created some amazing pieces that couldn't be fully recreated with any other instruments.

Furthermore, Tetsuya Nomura and the whole Square crew have a habit these days of taking a dump in a shoebox, scribbling "Final Fantasy" on it in sharpie and selling it worldwide to make millions of dollars. I don't want to see what very well could be the greatest game of all time be recreated with high hopes, only to dissapoint the masses.

People have come up to me and said, "Hey, would you buy a PS3 to get an FF7 remake?" and when I asnwer "No." they get a shocked look on their faces, shake their heads and walk away. My reasoning is a little offbeat here, but the PS3 is just a little less expensive then buying your own private island for crying out loud! However, If I DO end up getting a PS3 in the near future, don't think I wouldn't rent a copy of the game. I just wouldn't buy it unless it surpasses the original. I don't want to waste my time on a clone
The day I spend my good money on a simple polished up rehashing is the day I swallow a piece of Razor Wire, yank it out my ass and floss myself to death.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
Re: We Don't Need an FFVII Remake.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:35:01 pm »
ff7 needs a remake more then any other game out right now. it needs to be redone because of all the next connective games surround it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:06:26 pm »
While I don't think FFVII needs a remake right now (as I'd much rather see them continue to make oldschool 3D DS remakes)...I could see a remake of FFVII as being nothing BUT better than the original...

Quote from: Tact
But there was something about that time that just made games be the best that they could be. The Playstation and N64 kept cranking out games that hit the best games of all time list (Final Fantasy VII-IX, Zelda: OoT, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Red/Blue, and even Chrono Cross to name a few).

1) The Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow era weren't N64...they were Gameboy.
2) Name 5~10 more N64 games that fit the bill and I'll give you a cookie.
3) Nintendo's height was SNES (or maybe one of the more recent handheld gens).

For example, the graphics: Sure, they suck compared to the technology of today (you can count Cloud's polygons with your hands) But it was revolutionary for that time.

Except for the FMVs, not really.

And don't forget the music, either.

Yeah, let's not forget THAT blunder...MIDI quality on a CD-based system? WTF? Talk about getting screwed. The in-game version of Aerith's Theme is complete garbage compared to the orchestral version...same with One-Winged Angel. VII needs a remake for it's sound quality as much as the oldschool games before it, really.

But whatever happens, I highly doubt even FFVII would garner a PS3 remake...maybe PSP...but PS3? That's asking for quite a lot (money, talent, time) for just a remake...but maybe it'd be easier to do w/Square's Crystal Tools? I dunno...

Avalon

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Once and Future King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »
Really, I don't know whether I'd get it if they made it (I infrequently borrow my brothers PS3, so really, I'd have to rent it while he's got it here. And I abhor renting RPGs) I mean, I've hit a point where, I like the game, but it really isn't that big a deal for me. So I'd hate to get a remake of a game I don't really love, but I'd also don't care about a game enough to avoid it because I love it so much. I might try it to see if it improved.

I don't think it needs a remake.

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:40:14 pm »
No it doesn't need a remake, but it sure as hell would be awesome if they made one and did a good job with it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:03:01 pm »
I agree.  It doesn't NEED a remake...  but I'd take one!

Although not having a PS3 or PSP would make PLAYING it a little difficult...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:45:27 am »
If they recycle their character models from Advent Children, I am SO there.

I fear the potential for a graphically updated "Cloud's a drag queen" episode though...

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 12:56:46 am »
If they recycle their character models from Advent Children, I am SO there.

I fear the potential for a graphically updated "Cloud's a drag queen" episode though...

Holy cow in a flying broom, that would be seriously disturbing.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 01:00:42 am »
If they give Sephiroth lines before the final fight (why, why, WHY DID THEY NOT GIVE HIM DIALOGUE!?), then I'm down for a remake. To see Sephiroth with today's rendering technology and hear the voice of George Newbern...that'd be mystical.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 02:13:51 am »
A remake would be cool I guess, but it doesn't really need one.

I'm in agreement with most of your guy's posts thus far.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 09:53:20 am »
I've always fancied the idea of a remake of ...well any of my favourite games, with enhancements (graphical/gameplay/etc) and extra content, but only if they kept the original intact + extra features and didn't make it a "retelling" of the original or some BS like that.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 03:44:46 pm »
A little bit of updating - like tying it in with Crisis Core and the other Compilation games wouldn't be that bad.  For instance, I heard there's a village in Crisis Core that isn't in FFVII at all.  Little things such as mentioned Angeal and Genesis and adding that village (I think it's called Barona or something) wouldn't be bad...

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 07:07:17 pm »
At least with the graphics of Kingdom Hearts

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:12 pm »
They're NOW talking about the PS3 tech demo?  Hasn't that thing been out for like 2 years now?  FF7 doesn't really need a remake, most remakes end up destroying the game in some fashion...I'd rather have the game stay the way it is and not give the fans a reason to bitch about something else.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 07:31:54 pm »
Yeah, I think the tech demo's getting more talk again just because of the compilation...so n00bs are all like, "OMG! Are they doing a remake?!" and all that crap we all heard when the demo first came to light...