Author Topic: Is Magus really all that cool?  (Read 109136 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Magus really all that cool?
« Reply #450 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:42 pm »
Oh, and for some reason I want Lucca's middle name to be Eleanor now, maggiekarp...

Off topic, but I kind of like this idea.  Can I use that name for my novel project?  I'll probably only mention it in passing, though.  Maybe during Crono's trial.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »
I think it'd be okay as long as you credit Myshu for the idea.

Anyhoo
Quote from: Chrono Trigger
Magus: Aaah!!
   My powers are being drained!
Quote from: Radical Dreamers
"How does that feel, shadow walker? Have you felt my web start to drain your
life energy yet?" Lynx says, smiling ominously.
"Grrrrr...!!"

How come Magus is so weak against draining attacks :I

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2011, 08:26:57 pm »
In Lavos' case, yeah, it has been always absorbing the energy of the Planet...

As for Lynx's light light web/rope trick, it could be that Magus' shadow innate is weak against light.
The original script was like this:

"How does being tied down by the light feel, shadow man? Being inside it, can you absorb energy from the darkness?"
An ominous smile appears on Lynx's face.
"Dare to oppose me, now I shall grant you enough time to regret."

「光糸縛の味はどうだ、影男?
 その中にいては、闇から力はひきだせ
まい?」
 ヤマネコが不吉な笑みを浮かべる。
「よくも、このわたしにたてついたな。
 後悔する時間だけは、たっぷりとくれて
やろう」
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:34:12 pm by utunnels »

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »
Dang, I need to get a full script translation from you some time utunnels. That's a real eye opener.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2011, 08:33:27 pm »
Hmm, well, not completely off. But just don't rely too much on details. :P
I'm not a good translator, sorry.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:00 pm »
You're good at getting the literal meaning out, but you need a writer's touch to turn it into an English phrase.

And the literal stuff is better for the technical aspects of stuff and finding out what different events happened

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »
I agree, I'd rather have a more literal translation. I enjoy it when a translator does not add/change/remove things from the story.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »
Quote from: DK
Christmas Colored Candylight filled the orphanage as the door opened, revealing the elfin frame of a Toriyama wizard-twat dressed all in red and white. "I'm HERE, KIDS!" the figure crowed.
"UNCLE MAGUS!" Alfie the Crippled orphan's shout of joy was interrupted by the fresh cinnamon roll which Magus hurled into his mouth.  More followed, a rain of pastries and cookies falling as the forsaken children felt, for a moment, wanted and loved.
"I've brought TOYS!" The figure said, whirling around, summoning a storm of dolls and teddies and trains. The children fell upon them, laughing with glee, but their laughter was eclipsed by that of the wizard.
Clicking his heels, he leapt into the air, floating across the room, shooting streamers of confetti from his fingertips. "I've found you all a family!" He announced, summoning twelve barking weiner dog puppies. "It's ME!"
"Hooray! Hooray for Uncle Magus! Merry Christmas to Uncle Magus!" the children shouted.
"A Merry Christmas indeed!" Korcha said. "And I wanna wishCHA all a good night!" Magus turned smoothly, punching him in the balls.

The End.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 09, 2011, 08:03:34 am »
...What.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #459 on: January 09, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
Quote from: DK
Christmas Colored Candylight filled the orphanage as the door opened, revealing the elfin frame of a Toriyama wizard-twat dressed all in red and white. "I'm HERE, KIDS!" the figure crowed.
"UNCLE MAGUS!" Alfie the Crippled orphan's shout of joy was interrupted by the fresh cinnamon roll which Magus hurled into his mouth.  More followed, a rain of pastries and cookies falling as the forsaken children felt, for a moment, wanted and loved.
"I've brought TOYS!" The figure said, whirling around, summoning a storm of dolls and teddies and trains. The children fell upon them, laughing with glee, but their laughter was eclipsed by that of the wizard.
Clicking his heels, he leapt into the air, floating across the room, shooting streamers of confetti from his fingertips. "I've found you all a family!" He announced, summoning twelve barking weiner dog puppies. "It's ME!"
"Hooray! Hooray for Uncle Magus! Merry Christmas to Uncle Magus!" the children shouted.
"A Merry Christmas indeed!" Korcha said. "And I wanna wishCHA all a good night!" Magus turned smoothly, punching him in the balls.

The End.

how do unlock this ending

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 09, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »
Whoa, someone dared question one of the community's cornerstones! I understand the trepidation, but I guess my response would be this: 1) he's an archetype that is very appealing for a lot of reasons; 2) He is used so damn beautifully in the game.

Magus is cut straight from the Byronic cloth: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ByronicHero And I can see how that gets old, but the archetype is undeniably appealing. I love the almost humorous exaggeratedness of Magus: he doesn't bother to run because he's too freakin' good for the ground. He's a rockstar, with all the awesome-bordering-on-silliness that entails.

That's why the Byronic hero is appealing -- the sheer titanicness of him/her. Magus is a human who arrogantly dares to stand up to a force far greater than himself because that force took away something he loved. He is the product of the apex of humanity, Zeal Kingdom, who witnessed its fall and was changed by it, and now he follows no compass but his own. The intensity of the Byronic hero, his "posture" or "stance," is just compelling in and of itself. It's hard to rationalize except to say that it's an archetype for a reason.

I honestly don't see Magus as too remorseful. Judging by Ozzie and his exploits, I feel that the war with Guardia was going on longer than Magus had been in the Middle Ages-- his just gave Ozzie the advantage the Mystics needed to put the humans in a very difficult position. Chrono Cross influenced my view on the war, actually: the humans in that game are portrayed pretty negatively -- to an exaggerated extent-- so I feel like human prejudice must have been behind at least some of the conflict. And Cyrus, well-- I mean, it wasn't murder, really. Cyrus was going to try to kill Magus, wasn't he? Cyrus was surely noble, but in a duel, death is a little different, morally speaking. I see Magus as more of a Chaotic Neutral type. He seems dark and evil because the rest of the characters are very moral, happy-go-lucky types, but he's not really.

That's not to say Magus didn't do repulsive things, and that doesn't mean he doesn't change for the better. We discussed this in the Death Peak and Magus thread, but Magus shows signs of development from the North Cape onward that suggest he actually formed something akin to friendships with the others. In the least, he is the way that the game hammers home the point that you Cannot Do It Alone. As powerful as Magus is, he needs to join forces to win against Lavos.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:03:37 pm by Syna »

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2011, 01:48:52 pm »
...As powerful as Magus is, he needs to join forces to win against Lavos.

Totally not true. At least, when he's level **, as proven by these two videos. Yeah, the guy did a hack, but still. If Crono can do it, so can Magus. ;)

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 19, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »
...As powerful as Magus is, he needs to join forces to win against Lavos.

Totally not true. At least, when he's level **, as proven by these two videos. Yeah, the guy did a hack, but still. If Crono can do it, so can Magus. ;)

Oh yeah, from a gameplay perspective, sure - any of the characters could I would imagine. But from a plot perspective, no.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »
When are we gonna get Marle VS Lavos

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile