Author Topic: Oh no. Oh God no.  (Read 25666 times)

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Nazarene Hebrew, Tribe of Dan, of Yisra'el; YHWH..
    • View Profile
    • NeptuneNavigator2001's Website in Progress!
Re: Oh no. Oh God no.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 01:59:03 am »
I agree with you, Anacalius.  I too believe in the 7 days of creationism, but to me, it goes deeper than that...  Much deeper.  Not "Christian Science" deeper, but I hold some pretty unique views on certain things.  Things you wouldn't hear in mainstream churches, EVER.  Period.  I also believe in Mashiakha; my avatar reflects this.  Indeed I am Hebrew, not Jewish.  There is a split between them.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 02:09:45 am »

Paragraph 1: I believe in the 7 days of creationism. May sound stupid to most people, but it's what I personally believe.
I don't see how this is any more silly than the big bang theory, etc. Since no explanation for the creation of the universe has enough evidence to support it.

It was actually 6 days, and he rested on the 7th. But here's my stand on...all this, and everything else. This might get a bit too deep but, who's to say we're even here? That this, what most people call reality, is even real. And that what we see is all an illusion. Having said that, what, really can we believe in? I mean, really, no one can say what's real, and what's not. Sure you can put some "evidence" in someones face of something, but who's to say it's even there?

It's really hard for me to explain what I want to explain, but maybe some of you will pick up on it.

Oh, and I sort of think the big bang theory is silly, but possible. An interesting theory I've heard, is that two alternate universes actually collided with each other and exploded.

If you haven't watched The Elegant Universe I suggest you do. Very interesting.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:12:09 am by dan_death »

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 02:14:41 am »
Yeah, I know he rested on the 7th, but it's still referred to as the "7 days of creation", at least that's what I hear most people refer to it as. I get what your saying with your theory. Very interesting, and possible, I suppose.

A few years back, I questioned whether I was really still alive, that maybe I was just a ghost so attached to life that I refused to accept the fact I was dead and all the things I was interacting with was all in my head and they weren't really noticing me at all. After sleeping a lot, and sobering up, I realised this was silly. =O
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:16:46 am by Anacalius »

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 02:28:44 am »
My preacher told me a while back, that a lot of people call it the "7 days of creation" but he said that was incorrect, but I still call it that, or I just say creation. But yeah. My preacher was a hard ass, but at least he gave me some good advice.

And I never really thought that I was dead, maybe in dreams. But people act like I'm not there...and it makes me feel like a ghost  :shock: And I also once heard that our own dreams, are really our own reality.

Yet again, here's another interesting thing I read, that was in Philosophy Now on The Philosophy of John Lennon. "He began to envision God not as a personal deity but a resonant energy that pervades the universe, a 'powerhouse' which is intrinsically neither good nor bad--just as electricity can be used to execute a criminal or to light a room."

I didn't really think of God that way, until I read that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:33:02 am by dan_death »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 02:31:02 am »
Behold the fossil record of 1950.

And now 2000.

What has been lost will be found.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 03:08:42 am »
@Thought: The video doesn't really concern the general faith of Christianity, just these Young Earth nutjobs.

(...Anslem's ontological...)
Are you serious...

So BZ, before you say there's so much wrong with religion and its assumed beliefs, you have to question how much there is solid in science, and why it is.
Although it is true that our empirical observations may in the end be completely false (ie. Descarte's malicious deciever), it is far more rational, and it is inherent in human nature, to believe that which is seen and can be observed.

Those children will not be a new generation of freethinking, ethically independent, rational Americans. They'll be another drop in the ocean of bigoted, hateful, wingnuts who are hellbent on stopping human advancement, education, and illumination. Their tour leaders are like Huckabee-lite. Theocracy much? What about theocracy over education?
I wouldn't be too pessimistic. The museum curator himself was raised to believe in the Young Earth, and look where he is now.

I was referring to evolution as presented by Darwin as a belief, which it is, since no scientifical evidence exists, merely theories, which as you say, are based on common sense and observation.
A theory in science is practically a fact though.

Actually, I have learned a whole heck of interesting things lately in my philosophy class. Just the other day we did Pascal's wager. That's a pretty deadly argument about why it's better ot be religious than not.
Except that by using the wager, you're not really believing in God as you should, just placing your bets so to say and hoping you win.

If we started as single cell organisms, and over BILLIONS OF YEARS became the complex, multi-celled organisms we are, why hasn't there been any "missing link" fossils found with all the other fossils?
We're lucky we have so many fossils now. They hardly ever form.

Anacalius

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 03:18:48 am »

And I never really thought that I was dead, maybe in dreams. But people act like I'm not there...and it makes me feel like a ghost  :shock: And I also once heard that our own dreams, are really our own reality.

Yet again, here's another interesting thing I read, that was in Philosophy Now on The Philosophy of John Lennon. "He began to envision God not as a personal deity but a resonant energy that pervades the universe, a 'powerhouse' which is intrinsically neither good nor bad--just as electricity can be used to execute a criminal or to light a room."

I didn't really think of God that way, until I read that.

I didn't really mean to refer my reference to what you had said completely, it just reminded me of that. Anyway...
Yeah, the John Lennon thing is very interesting, and very well true. Take it from this perspective:

Quote from Maynard James Keenan -

"Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning was the word, and the word was God.

Now in the original text, that word was Jehovah, which means light and love. We've kinda twisted it around to mean this guy with a beard passing judgment. "In the beginning was the word, and the word was light and love."
That seems like a pretty simple concept to me, but people just can't quite seem to grasp it. And it's kinda funny how they say the Devil mixes the lies with the truth. Yeah, he mixed the lies with the truth and tricked you into thinking there was a man with a beard passing judgment, and he took "love" right out of the equation."

Interesting enough to think about, at least. o.O

In other news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-q0wu_VM8

Anacalius

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 03:24:57 am »

I wouldn't be too pessimistic. The museum curator himself was raised to believe in the Young Earth, and look where he is now.

A theory in science is practically a fact though.

Good point about the museum curator.
"Practically" doesn't cut it, seriously.
Still leaves the question, among all these "so many" fossils, why isn't there ONE "missing link"?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
However, what must be asked then is: 'why can't religious experience also be given the same treatment?' This is Alston's argument. See, if that method is simply the best and most consistent way of gaining empirical knowledge, even if it is self affirming, could not religious experience be considered as the best and most practical way of gaining knowledge about God? If you seek to disprove it, you cannot, not without throwing the same questions on sensory perception and the scientific method. See, both have their own self-affirmation.

From my perspective, religious experience is given the same treatment. For example, studies have shown that prayer does not have a measurable effect on reality, thus I find it wanting as a means of affecting change in the world. That said, the trouble with asking if religious experience can be considered the best way of gaining knowledge about God is that it assumes God, who is by definition unobservable. If someone has a supposed revelation, there is no way to distinguish that from any trick of the senses, no way to know if the words spoken were from a voice beyond the recepients skull, let alone beyond basic human perception.

But let's assume a thesitic omni-God. Let's further assume that this God, while remaining behind the scenes for the most part, does occasionally reveal itself through revelation. This omni-God must have a nature of some sort, and if it is not a deciever, and not a completely chaotic (within the scope of the above rules) entity, there will be some consistency to the revelations; that is, some pattern will immerge from looking at "true" revelations. And what tool would be best for determinging this? The scientific method. If religious experience is a valid, extra-scientific means of learning about God, this can be determined by science (again, assuming the sort of God postulated in this paragraph).

True, they are not the same (ie. consistancy for sense, which is not there for religious experiences), but this is not a problem. As Alston would say, consistency is not a measure of reliability in all circumstances. In something like mathematics, yes, it implies reliability; but in something that is by nature in flux, consistancy would denote unreliability. Therefore, with the base practices being by nature self-affirming, and since we cannot apply what affirms one practice (ie. sense, or empiricism) to another (ie. religious experience), one cannot properly critisize religious experience. It's a long article, but make an interesting point.

Consistency can imply reliablity in a system that is naturally in flux, just not one that is chaotic (beyond it being consistently chaotic). The state of the world is constantly in flux, but the physical laws that govern it are not. There is observable consistency in the "rules" of the universe, which guide, limit, and shape the natural flux that occurs within it.

Actually, I have learned a whole heck of interesting things lately in my philosophy class. Just the other day we did Pascal's wager. That's a pretty deadly argument about why it's better ot be religious than not. Even my agnostic prof said it proves it to him. The only way around it is that it can't make you believe, all it does is tell you you should. Though there's even an answer for that: let yourself be given the chance. An interesting argument.

Pascal's wager is fundamentally broken; it provides a false dilema. Christianity and atheism are not the only positions one can hold on the theistic state of reality. Given that multiple religions promise a hell of sorts for disbelief, Pascal's wager does not provide us with a means of determining what god we should believe in, and thus brings us no further from damnation.

Furthermore, Pascal's wager is a coward's bet. We can agree on the first life; we're in it, experiencing it. We know we have it. Pascal's wager asks us to reject this in favor of another life, one which has no evidence supporting it, and even if we give the benefit of the doubt to your notion that religious experience is beyond the scope of science, no means to determine which god to believe in. We're left wasting this life in the vain hope that we picked up the right holy book and interpreted it correctly.

I will not sacrifice the one life I can be sure of for the sake of placating whatever is on the face of the god die I happen to roll.

RD, here I'm disagreement. You mean there is no empirical evidence. Maybe, but there are many logical arguments that might constitute a priori evidence. Of course, in the end, God is unproveable by any evidence (such is my belief), and you are right: such a being is not actually necessary given the evidence we have (or I do not think so.) I was actually arguing that point with a philosophy prof today - the complexity of the world cannot be taken as a probabalistic argument in favour of a creator. However, that does not mean that there can't be a God. It's an either or. To stand with God or not is a sort of 50/50. Evidence to this effect is irrelivant (to preempt any saying 'no, it's more likely there isn't', because evidence relies on aposteriori arguments which really don't suffice for God.)

Even if non-God/God is a 50/50 chance, it's not quite that simple. It's more like 50/1/1/1.... for all the different gods and interpretations of said gods. An error Pascal made as well.  :)

I would beg you to cease referring to it as needing new 'evidence' as though it can be empirically found. It can't, and you'll be waiting a long time for it if you're looking for it there. And anyway, all that evidence and science is giving us is a set of causality, answering 'how' and not really 'why' (need there be a why, though?) - I'm not certain that it has removed the need for God, seeing as we still have the question of 'why did the universe begin?' It hasn't answered that. It's given us a 'how'. But what about that 'why'? That's something science can't in principle answer. As such, you might ask 'has the need for God really been removed?' Maybe. Maybe not. Nonetheless, I'll grant you that it is definitely a valid stance to hold, seeing as we cannot really know one way or another... I don't think.

Oh, I know that I'm not going to see any evidence for a god on this side of the grave. I'm saying that if the evidence was there, I'd be willing to re-evaluate my view, but since the evidence isn't there, I see no reason to posit a god.

I don't think there needs to be a why, not in the sense you seem to mean. There doesn't need to be an intrinsic meaning to the universe or anything in it. Even in this, God is a presumed answer to an unneccisary question. We humans, as intelligent agents capable of intellect, emotion, and abstraction, are perfectly capapble of assigning meaning to actions and events in our own lives. They aren't in of themselves scientific (although great evil can be brought about when these meanings are assigned in opposition to reality) but they don't need to be, because that aren't "facts". If I want to decide on some non-biological purpose for my life, that's my business, but that has no more bearing on the wider reality than if I remember someone at a party as "the guy with long hair" or "the guy in the red shirt."

If you wish to find meaning, you can find it for yourself. A god that will not answer and a book of fables and parables will not give you any more valid results.

But this is something I'll have to ask. What about the Ontological argument? The whole idea of 'God is such that nothing greater can be conceived'; since truth is greater than conception, God must exist if He can be conceived. That's pretty compelling. And doesn't Pascal's wager give you sufficent practical cause to judge belief useful, or do you defer to not being able to believe, despite its use? I grant you no empirical evidence can be used to speak of God (how could it? I always laugh when people think we're going to turn over a stone and find some proof of God. If all of creation is the mark of God, how in the bloody world could we somehow seperate a part of it to see it as 'proof'? Either we see it all as His, or we don't. It's impossible to make that judgement objectively. As such, it's impossible to gather together any proof. That is, of course, assuming the God of the philosophers, the omni-God.)

Perhaps there's something being lost in the communication, but I don't see a proof of aynthing in the Ontological argument; just word play. You are chosing the word "god" to mean "the greatest thing which can be concieved". This implies nothing about "god" or about the conciever. Is "god" by this definiton the greatest thing that any concious entity in this reality can concieve of? Greatest that any logically possible creature could concieve of? Or is "god" the greatest thing a given individual can concieve of? If the greatest thing I can concieve is a world in which all mankind lives as brothers and sisters and in harmony with nature, is such a world "god"?

Pascal's wager does not make me think belief is useful, because it is asking me to place the unobservable (and indeed, unobservable) over the observable and experienced without providing meaningful guidence on what to believe in. I'm told to balance the cost of sacrificing the one thing I can be sure of (even Descartes wouldn't tell me I'm not having a concious experience) for a chance at picking the "right" god, assuming one even exists. It's like playing darts blindfolded in a room that might not even have a dart board! What would you do, Daniel, if we were both wrong? What if you and I arrive at the emerald gates to discover a jealous god neither of us had concieved of? How would Pascal's wager have helped you then?

For me to believe as a result of Pascal's wager would make me a hypocrite. Perhaps there is a god, and it would rather have my insincere, vague and cowardly belief. If this is the case, I shall brave damnation in the next life to know that I lived as best I could in this one.

By the way, what IS your philosophical stance? Which philosopher do you most have a liking for?

Sadly, it's been quite a while since I've had the time to sit down and read some purely philisophical texts, so my depth and bredth will not be nearly as great as yours on this topic. That said, my favorite philosopher is the gadfly himself. Indeed, Apology and Crito are the most recent works I've read. That is, of the philisophical works I've read, I've read those most recently. I think that Socrates was correct to say that there is a strong correlation between knoweldge and virtue. I think it should be trivial to understand why I support science so strongly at this point.

~~~

Anacalius, it is clear that you didn't read the the link I sent you to. A fact and a theory are not steps on the same ladder; they serve different functions. I'm not nitpicking; you are using words in a manner very different from their intended meaning, and it seems that this is negatively impacting your understanding of the topic. I recommend that you read the link I posted.

On the topic of missing links, the whole notion is meaningless. Every life form is a transitional form; you are mistaking taxonomy for evolution. BZ is correct, fossilization is rare. What we see in the fossil record though is ancient forms that transition into modern forms. This isn't a chain, that's a poor metaphor. We aren't finding links, we are adding points on a graph. And as we do this, what have we found? These "dots" are sticking to the "lines" predicted by the theory of evolution and other fossils.

On top of the other link, I suggest you do some further reading on the topic of evolution. TalkOrigins.org is a good site for the topic.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 03:00:45 pm »
Ah, there is just something about religion that makes for fast-paced topics. If nothing else, at least religion (or more exactly, discussions about religion) get the mind going.

@Thought: The video doesn't really concern the general faith of Christianity, just these Young Earth nutjobs.

Unfortunately, the video doesn't make that distinction clear (and even at that, as I pointed out, the report is subject to logical fallacies and is reprehensible for that reason alone, regardless of how nutty those Young Earth nutjobs are). Indeed, it barely seemed to make it at all. Admittedly, the "public" is partially to blame for this as well; people in general aren't quite clear on how creationism and Christianity are fundamentally different. This confusion is worsened in no small part when supposedly knowledgeable individuals such as Richard Dawkins confuse the two regularly.

I say they shouldn't be shoving this stuff down kids throats, especially when they're THAT young. What they should be doing is teaching them how to think for themselves, and not have someone else do it for them.

I quite agree, however that is fairly standard practice across the board. Go to public schools across the world and you are more likely to see "stuff" getting shoved down kids' throats more often than children being taught how to think for themselves. Heck, look at math classes! They are taught exclusively in that manner, "HERE is the equation to use! Now repeat after me, A squared plus B squared equals C squared." Children are specifically taught not to question formulas, or to investigate the matter themselves, just to memorize them and regurgitate them unthinkingly upon command.

The great misfortune of these sort of "tour guides" is that they are setting the kids up for the argumentum ad logicam Logical Fallacy (that is, if the argument for something is false then the conclusion is also false, which is not true). Some of these kids will grow up, learn the truth, and even though Creationism is not a Christian belief, both will get rejected when there is only reason to reject the former.

How does everyone feel about the museum director's decision to let these "Biblically Correct Tours" take place? I applaud him for his tolerance, but on the other hand it's promoting the diminution of certain truths that have become fairly evident

True, but if I might counter that with another question; Should the Museum Director be the one making such a judgment? Indeed, should only people who already accept the validity of displays in a museum be allowed in? And on the other hand, we should be careful of taking museum displays as ultimate truth and fact. To offer an anecdotal example of what I mean, this last weekend I visited a museum that was displaying early Christian art. The items on display were wonderful (though the people I was with poo-pooed the quality of the earliest art, I found them rather impressive and hilarious; apparently Christians used to portray Noah as sitting in a box of very Calvin and Hobbes proportions). However, the texts that accompanied the displays were less than ideal. I just happened to study this time period in college, and so I just happened to be aware of the historical controversy surrounding some of the claims the exhibit made. What the exhibit portrayed as fact was in reality fancy, a possible explanation but by no means the only (or even best) one. Yet, to turn even that around on myself, it isn't like the museum was actually wrong. Just... not right.

I'd like to know their explanation for just how Noah got a T-Rex into the same boat with a cow and not end up with the cow being eaten. That flood lasted a while; T-Rex would have gotten hungry at some point. I guess this calls for ... the Chrono Beef!

Simple, God provided. Creationism is usually internally consistent (depending, of course, on who is doing the "explaining"), which is one of the things that makes it difficult to dispel.

Fun fact about the Big Bang Theory I learned today -- it was first proposed by a priest.

What's really interesting is that the Catholic Church didn't seem to mind one iota. The dude was honored by Pope John XXXIII in 1960, decades after he proposed the Big Bang. It is extremely weird, as you'd think he would have been excommunicated or defrocked or something.

The "time" before the Big Bang is even called "The Augustinian Era" after St. Augustine of Hippo (not to be confused with St. Augustine of Canterbury), as by current scientific understandings anything before then can't be observed or theorized about. It is, essentially, the realm of God, to be poetic about such matters.

Another fun fact is that the Catholic Church was at first quite happy with Galileo's research and theories; Jesuits even confirmed his findings and he was on mostly amicable terms with the Vatican. It wasn't until other researchers (who were notably not part of the Church) started making a ruckus, since Galileo was contradicting Aristotle, who was the scientific version of the Pope in those days, that the Church's stance shifted.

And yet another fun fact is that from the very begin some Christians accepted and praised Charles Darwin's theories. This wasn't uniform, of course. The Christian opposition to it, however, was galvanized by atheists.

Biologically speaking, there is presently one human race.

Actually, biologically speaking there is presently only one human species. These things get organized by Kingdom, Order, Species, etc, but not "race." ;)

Still, I think we all understand what he meant, even if the semantics of it are easily debatable.

Quote from: Anacalius
NO ONE has found the source of the universe, so to me, believing in evolutionism (as presented by Darwin) or creationism completely is just plain stupid. Neither has been proven.

The origins of the universe and the origins of life are two separate things. The Big Bang is not contingent on Evolution, nor is Evolution contingent on the Big Bang. Therefore, the problems (and virtues) of each are a separate matter.

I'm an atheist because at present, there is not evidence for any sort of god, nor is there any evidence that such a being is neccisary to the existence of the universe. With no evidence and evidently no need, I reject the notion of a god as unneccisary and likely false. It is possible that I am incorrect, and that new evidence will force me to re-evaluate the issue. It hasn't come up yet.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be valid evidence of such a thing? I am not trying to be argumentative, but merely attempting to understand a different model. You say there is no evidence for any sort of god, I'd say there is good evidence for the existence of a very specific deity. Thus I am concluding we had different criteria for what we consider valid evidence, and thus I am curious to what this difference is.

As long as we exist in a mostly consistent context, the scientific method still holds as the best method we have for understanding that context, as it is the only one that provides increased, verifiable (in the over-arching context consciousnesses exist in) knowledge about anything and everything within the scope of that context (and perhaps even the context itself).

But historically speaking, chances are the paradigm will someday shift. It might refine the scientific method, it might discard it. But being in the paradigm during a period of relative stability, it could be equally valid to say that there are no significant problem with the method as it is to say that we are just unaware (and are unable to be aware) of the significant problems that exist. Mind you, I am not trying to reject the Scientific Method, just the moderno-centrism that often accompanies it.

Paragraph 1: I believe in the 7 days of creationism. May sound stupid to most people, but it's what I personally believe. I don't see how this is any more silly than the big bang theory, etc. Since no explanation for the creation of the universe has enough evidence to support it.

Literal 7 days? As in 7 24-hour periods? Well, such a stance is "silly" simply because it relies on what may be a linguistic error. Day can mean 24 hours, but it can mean a general period as well (look it up in the dictionary). Additionally, consider that the word "day" is not accurate in itself; the Bible was not written in English. Thus, you need to return to the original text if you are going to be literal about things. And even in the original, the word that gets translated as "day" can easily mean a general period of time. Thus, without further evidence, the creation story only tells us that creation happened in "seven" general time periods (and even what is "created" during those time periods is debatable; Earth could refer to this planet or it could actually refer to matter in general). However, we do have further evidence... science. Scientifically speaking, the universe developed over nearly unimaginable expanses of time, therefore if we are to believe the creation story at all, it would need to be a story in which "day" is a general time period, not specifically 24 hours as we understand it.

Consider also who is relating this story; though it is recorded in the books of Moses, Moses isn't the narrator (if we accept the story at all). God is the one relating the events, so presumably the events are being related how God would perceive them, not necessarily as humans would perceive them. If the story is true, even then we have the problem of reconciling God's interpretation of events with human interpretations. Unless you'd claim to perfectly know the mind of God, one can not claim to know perfectly the intent of the story.

These aren’t arguments that 7 24-hours of creation are inherently wrong, just that there is no reason to hold specifically to those interpretations in the face of opposing explanations.

Paragraph 4: I think you're picking on my word usage a bit, though I do agree with the statement. If you really want me to go back and edit the previous posts to fix it, I will. But I think everyone is understanding what I mean by the word "theory", since I'm talking about the theory of evolution and the theory of creationism.

Actually, you are talking about the Theory of Evolution and the theory of Creationism. Capital letters are rather important as there is a difference between Evolution and evolution and even Theory and theory. I used to be a creationist myself though I am no longer. Yet even now one of the things that pisses me off the most is when evolutionists willfully switch between Evolution and evolution in the same sentence without proper distinctions. To illustrate, Evolution is a theory (one would even be correct is calling it a Theory), while evolution is a fact. Yet you get people who claim Evolution is both a fact and a theory (if we are going to do that, we might as well say that Evolution is a fact, a theory, the extraction of a root from a quantity, and a form of military movement).

Allow me to state most firmly that evolution is factual. There are fossils, there are species closely related, and there are even lab experiments. Allow me to also state most firmly that Evolution explains this evidence and makes predictions about future finds of similar forms of evidence. And finally, allow me to state most firmly that one is not the other (but certainly they are related). One of the great frustrations is that Creationism makes use of evolution as well, but it cannot predict future finds of similar evidence. Therefore, it is not a scientific theory (and thus, it is never a Theory). Evolutionists seem to overlook this too often.

Now for my question:

If we started as single cell organisms, and over BILLIONS OF YEARS became the complex, multi-celled organisms we are, why hasn't there been any "missing link" fossils found with all the other fossils? That's where the scientific theory of evolution is killed for me. If over billions of years, we would have had HUGE gaps in time of being the "in between" species, if you will. So why do you think that none of these "missing links" have been found?

Actually, some of these "Missing Links" have been found. The problem isn't that Missing Links don't exist (they do exist), but rather the evolutionary tracking of the development of species is not complete. What are the "Missing Links" between humans and primate ancestors? The various forms of Australopithecus are such examples, as are the various forms of Homo not-sapiens (and not-sapien-sapiens, as modern man is really a single subspecies of homo sapiens). Now I'd suspect that you'd claim this is a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy; that these species came before man doesn't necessitate that they led to man. Quite right you are. However, as indicated, Evolution explains these instances and predicts that we will continue to find similar fossil records. Sort of like the discovery of Homo Floresiensis a few years ago.

A new field is also available in genetics; we can measure the rate of mutations entering a genome and thereby trace backwards to determine when certain traits probably evolved. These mathematical formulas usually coincide quite nicely with the fossil records (thus, like the previous noted instance of Carbon Dating and Dendrochronology, one science is used to reinforce another). To be fair, there are some oddities in this method (in that some species should have existed before fossil records currently indicate), and scientists are working on that. It might be basic assumptions will need to be revised, or major theories discarded, or just that more fossils need to be found.

Related to your statement (though you did not state it yourself) is the argument from complexity; eyes, for example, are so complex and interdependent that they could not function if one component was missing, therefore they could not function in a half-evolved state. This, unfortunately, is really an argument from ignorance. There are creatures alive today with no eyes, with light sensitive patches of skin, with light sensitive indentations (which allow for a degree of focus), with light sensitive indentations covered by a gel-like lens, etc. Even the jump from single to multi-cellular life is not without evidence, as there are some single-cells lifeforms that build colonies, even with "specialized" roles within that colony.

And to offer one other example of human evolution: Lactose intolerance. Good, wholesome, un-mutated adult humans are all lactose intolerant, as that is the proper state of things (determined through genetics and just basic observations of animal behavior). Humans should stop producing the enzymes to digest lactate after infancy (as in, after a baby has been weaned from its mother's milk). Ah, but I enjoy a nice bowl of cereal, moistened with milk. I enjoy ice cream, milk shakes, yogurt, cheese, and all those other milk based products. Why? Because I'm a mutant (and so are most Europeans). I might not be able to shoot lasers from my eyes or control the weather, but I can digest something I shouldn't be able to. I suspect a few others on the forum are able to as well.

What has been lost will be found.

Maybe, but not necessarily. And more importantly, it isn't needed.

It is unreasonable to assume we'll find fossils of every stage of human evolution, no matter how small. But Evolution doesn't need such in order to be true and believable.

Indeed, a complete record is even unreasonable, as when one gets down to the smallest steps of evolution how could one determine between what is variation in a single species and what is variation that leads to another species? I look different than my brothers; if we were all fossils, would a scientist say that one evolved from the others? And yet, it is possible that some genetic mutation exists in my DNA, or the DNA of my brothers, that will someday create a new subspecies of humans. On a very small scale, there is no discernable difference between evolution and variation.

Indeed. Why, if I were a religious man I might claim that so many fossil records to be a miracle ;)

"Practically" doesn't cut it, seriously.
Still leaves the question, among all these "so many" fossils, why isn't there ONE "missing link"?

Actually, practical does cut it, every single day. There is the Theory of Gravity; it is practically fact. That it isn't 100% fact doesn't stop it from keeping you to the surface of the earth. Technically speaking, movement is impossible since you always have to go half the distance before you can go the whole distance. And you always have to go half that distance first, and so on and so forth. As there is always a distance you have to go half of first, you can never go the whole. Curiously, we get around rather nicely in practicality (actually, there is some indication that movement, in fact, does occasionally not go half the distance before going the full distance).

And fossils only leave "missing links" when you keep changing the definition of it. When a "Missing Link" has been found, instead of saying "gee, here we have one of those missing links we were harping about," creationists just move onto the next gap. After all, once a "Missing Link" has been found, it is no longer missing, now is it? ;)

You don’t know for sure that eating breakfast in the morning will not kill you, but you are reasonably sure so eating breakfast is practical.

From my perspective, religious experience is given the same treatment. For example, studies have shown that prayer does not have a measurable effect on reality, thus I find it wanting as a means of affecting change in the world.

Unfortunately such studies are inherently flawed. First of all, try to imagine an investigator who found a positive correlation between prayer and wellness getting published. What journal might accept such a paper? Secondly, consider what the experiments are actually testing and compare that to what prayer is actually for. The experiments are looking for a positive result to the individual's health but prayer (depending on the religion) is never a "if-then" event. Even among religious circles, praying for an individual to make a recovery does not doctrinally necessitate a recovery. Thirdly, such experiments also consider only those unaccountable events of recovery, which negates the possibility of prayer producing a result in mundane manners. From the religious perspective, a prayer for someone's healthy may be realized quite validly from the skills of a caring physician. Such results would be discounted by a study. Fourthly, prayer does not necessitate lineality (is that even a word or did I just make it up?). Religiously speaking, an answer to pray may be set in motion before the prayer is even made. Thus, in such experiments, if prayer is real then it would be impossible for the investigators to actually control the composition of each group. To use a genetics analogy, it is like looking for the effects of a treatment for a genetic anomaly without first distinguishing which group is the wildtype.

But let's assume a thesitic omni-God. Let's further assume that this God, while remaining behind the scenes for the most part, does occasionally reveal itself through revelation. This omni-God must have a nature of some sort, and if it is not a deciever, and not a completely chaotic (within the scope of the above rules) entity, there will be some consistency to the revelations; that is, some pattern will immerge from looking at "true" revelations. And what tool would be best for determinging this? The scientific method. If religious experience is a valid, extra-scientific means of learning about God, this can be determined by science (again, assuming the sort of God postulated in this paragraph).

Depends on what we mean by learning about God. Go study the Notre Dame Cathedral; science can tell you a lot about the building, and it can even suggest certain trains about its builder, but science can't tell you who that builder was or what they were like (or, indeed, even if there definitely was a builder). If we assume the universe has a creator, then that universe can tell us some things about that creator using the scientific method. But in no way can it tell us everything (or even important things).

Pascal's wager is fundamentally broken; it provides a false dilema. Christianity and atheism are not the only positions one can hold on the theistic state of reality. Given that multiple religions promise a hell of sorts for disbelief, Pascal's wager does not provide us with a means of determining what god we should believe in, and thus brings us no further from damnation.

Pish posh. Pascal's Wager doesn't need to be applied to a specific religion; it is still a valid arguement if the choice is between atheism and theism (if that is still a false dilema, please do provide the third unstated option). Under Atheism, there is no benefit to being right or wrong. Under theism, there could be a benefit to being right and an ill to being wrong. Thus, it is more logical to be theistic than atheistic. Other arguments, then, are needed to determine which form of theism (if any known form) is proper.

Furthermore, Pascal's wager is a coward's bet. We can agree on the first life; we're in it, experiencing it. We know we have it. Pascal's wager asks us to reject this in favor of another life, one which has no evidence supporting it, and even if we give the benefit of the doubt to your notion that religious experience is beyond the scope of science, no means to determine which god to believe in. We're left wasting this life in the vain hope that we picked up the right holy book and interpreted it correctly.

Again, pish posh. You are making the false assumption that a thestic life is "wasted," a term that only has meaning if theism is assumed. If atheism is the reality, then any such judgement is merely the result of perspective and not of objective truth. Additionally, a theistic life tends to actually put a person into action (if I do X, then I'll receive Y), thereby increasing the likelihood that a theistic life, at least, would be productive (that doesn't necessitate, of course, that productivity is desirable).

And to note, Pascal's wager may be a "coward's bet" but you are making the appeal to emotion logical fallacy. That it is a "coward's bet" says nothing about its validity.

Perhaps there's something being lost in the communication, but I don't see a proof of aynthing in the Ontological argument; just word play.

Quite right. The Ontological argument was quite compelling at one time, but nowadays the standards of proof are different (at the time it was originally made, thought problems were considered better evidence than physical experimentation, a left over from the Greek philosophers). Really, it is little more than an extraploation on the theory of forms (I can conceive of what a chair is, even though not all chairs fit a single description, therefore there must be the idea of a chair that exists seprately and independent of other chairs; other chairs just being a reflection of that idea).

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 03:17:59 pm »
Hmm...

Nice reply, RD.

Quote from: Radical Dreamer
Perhaps there's something being lost in the communication, but I don't see a proof of aynthing in the Ontological argument; just word play. You are chosing the word "god" to mean "the greatest thing which can be concieved". This implies nothing about "god" or about the conciever. Is "god" by this definiton the greatest thing that any concious entity in this reality can concieve of? Greatest that any logically possible creature could concieve of? Or is "god" the greatest thing a given individual can concieve of? If the greatest thing I can concieve is a world in which all mankind lives as brothers and sisters and in harmony with nature, is such a world "god"?

However, I think you're misunderstanding both the ontological argument and Pascal's wager a bit. For the latter, if you say 'well, that's assuming another world', if you assume this world as well... it has been shown that the religious lead happier, better lives. That's been statistically proven. As such having a belief, any belief, is practically better than none. As for being able to decide the right one... what someone like Alston would say is that, though there is a great deal of consensus on science these days, there was a time where there were multiple (reputable!) schools of thought with conflicting ideas. However, just because there were different ideas did not make it unreasonable to pick a side. At least if you pick on you have a chance of finding something out. Indeed, Pascal's wager still shows the '1' chance of some given faith better than the '50' of Atheism! Why? Because the best you can hope for with atheism is oblivion. If there is a faith, and you're wrong, well, you've got hell (or whatever) anyway. Choose the wrong faith, and it's still the same. But at least you've got the chance of the best possible outcome. And as I've said, if you talk purely in the world, the same set applies: if you believe and there is no god, at least you've lived a happy life thinking so. What does it matter if you were wrong? Your darts example... I'd have at least thrown a blood dart! Okay, we get to the gates... I'll tell you 'well, at least I TRIED'. Hey, isn't that perfectly valid? You're never going to hit a dartboard, blindfolded, nonexisting, if you don't try. But at least if you try there's a chance, even if it's miniscule. I'm still better off.

Oh, and note that while yes, the chance of picking the particular right religion is low, these arguments for God consist in arguing, mostly, the existence of the omni-god, the overarching philosophical concept which transcends the various religious sects. Philosophy usually doesn't concern itself with which system to believe. That's more theology.

Pascal's wager does not make me think belief is useful, because it is asking me to place the unobservable (and indeed, unobservable) over the observable and experienced without providing meaningful guidence on what to believe in. I'm told to balance the cost of sacrificing the one thing I can be sure of (even Descartes wouldn't tell me I'm not having a concious experience) for a chance at picking the "right" god, assuming one even exists. It's like playing darts blindfolded in a room that might not even have a dart board! What would you do, Daniel, if we were both wrong? What if you and I arrive at the emerald gates to discover a jealous god neither of us had concieved of? How would Pascal's wager have helped you then?
As for the ontological, it's not that God is the greatest thing possible, but the thing such as nothing greater can be conceived. Unfortunately, your counterexample of 'if I think of a world with humanity being in peace' example doesn't fly, as that's just another version of Gaunilo's 'perfect island' counter example, which Anslem manages to correct. See, an island is spacially and temporally limited. Therefore it is not that thing such as nothing greater can be conceived. Since 'humanity' is a multiple, and spacially located, would it not be better for that to be eternal? And omnipotent? You can only end up with 'omnigod' being that. And as Anslem put it, if you conceive it, it must be, because it is better to exist, and otherwise you are hold a contradiction. (BZ, by the way... I don't think you understand the argument in the way of Anslem.) The point is, maybe, yes, if what you said is the greatest thing you could conceive is such a world, then yes, that would be. But that's the same as saying 'God could sin if He wanted to.' Yes, He could. But it's a contrafactual, and tells us nothing. The thing is, such a world is NOT such that nothing greater can be conceived. In the end, it will be always reduced to eternal, undivided, omnipotent, omniscient... essentially, God. That is the only thing such as nothing greater can be conceived. But does it follow that actually having it IS that much better, and that it must exist? I've still not entirely thought through that one...

As for the 'why'... I grant you, maybe there doesn't need to be. Teleology is damned tough to deal with. However, we as human are prone to seeking it. And, if there does turn out to be a why, the systems and logic of the matter can support it. Basically, if there is a God, the system does support His existence; if there isn't, there are ways of explaining that as well.

From my perspective, religious experience is given the same treatment. For example, studies have shown that prayer does not have a measurable effect on reality, thus I find it wanting as a means of affecting change in the world. That said, the trouble with asking if religious experience can be considered the best way of gaining knowledge about God is that it assumes God, who is by definition unobservable. If someone has a supposed revelation, there is no way to distinguish that from any trick of the senses, no way to know if the words spoken were from a voice beyond the recepients skull, let alone beyond basic human perception.

As for religious experience... you're making a mistake in your judgements. You say 'given the same treatment', but that's the fundamental error, assuming what holds true for consistency in one basic practise holds true for another. That approach cannot be applied. Yes, there is a certain level of consistency (though never can it tell as absolutely) to our senses. But does this mean there muse be consistency to our religous experience? If there were, it would imply reliability; but if there were't, it doesn't necessarially imply unreliablity, either. It's not a judgement that can be made. Ironically, I find this argument very compelling, even though I'm not one for religious experience, having never had one.

Furthermore, you say a God should be scientifically observable. Could it not easily be said that the fact that there is all of creation shows this? That everything we see at all is scientific proof? I don't personally like that argument, but if you're saying there should be a certain pattern, many say there IS a pattern. Just because you can't (or don't want to?) see it, doesn't mean it's not there. There are lots of patterns in things - numerical sequence, for exmple - that can only be discenred via knowledge of the matter and investigation. But it doen't work like that with God. The point is, scientific enquiry really shouldn't be used for it because, well, it lies outside its scope. That sort of inquiry just won't work, or rather will tell us just internal patterns that, to us, seem to be just 'natural.' Furthermore, I still stand by what I said regarding consistency. I don't mean so much a system of a moving gradient which should be see to change. I mean something which, in observation, might be there at one point, and gone the next, in observation. A cloud, for example. Yes, we can explain why it does this, to be sure. But the actual observation is of something that is there at one point, gone the next. This is not unreliable. As such, an experience which is inconsistent is not necessarially unreliable.

Ah, God might just be a convenient placeholder to a theory, it's true. But so is gravity. Tell me, why do we need 'some invisible force' that makes things fall. Why can't we just say 'things fall just because they do.' Why do we need a 'thing' there? And note no science can actually prove gravity, only the effects. So maybe it's just an effect. And if you're willing to put in an invisible force to account for an effect... why not have an invisible omni-god to account for the universe? We might do just as well saying 'things don't need that'... but we don't need to say 'gravity' either.

Anyway, though, kudos to you for being Socratic - knowledge and virtue. And you have made very good arguments here. Always fun arguing with you.

Quote from: Ancalius
Quote from Maynard James Keenan -

"Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning was the word, and the word was God.

Now in the original text, that word was Jehovah, which means light and love. We've kinda twisted it around to mean this guy with a beard passing judgment. "In the beginning was the word, and the word was light and love."
That seems like a pretty simple concept to me, but people just can't quite seem to grasp it. And it's kinda funny how they say the Devil mixes the lies with the truth. Yeah, he mixed the lies with the truth and tricked you into thinking there was a man with a beard passing judgment, and he took "love" right out of the equation."

Ouch. That is bad. That quote is not Genesis. It's from the gospel of John. And the word was definitely not Jehova, because that passage is Greek. It's 'en th arkhe ho theos en ho logos.' The word for God, 'theos', is the most general God term in Greek, such as is used in the beginning of the Iliad (the 'sing, goddess.') And do remember, Jehova is a non-existant name, as it's a scribal mistake of YHWH (Yaweh). Scribes added in the vowels from Adonai to it, and got Yahowah (Jehova.) Anyway, so no, it doesn't say 'light and love.' It's just 'God'. That passage is a philosophical comment, as people had had the idea that there was this 'Logos' that gave knowledge to people. That was John saying 'God WAS this Logos itself. One in the same.' Light would be 'dios', which in fact is in the name Zeus, and Jupiter, so 'God of light' would better be rendered Zeus, or Jupiter if you want to be Roman. Or if you want to just say it purely 'dios kai philos'... light and love. So I don't know what that guy's talking about, but he's really, really far off his mark. Or if you want a less poetic light (that is, dios is more 'brilliance', such as we might say 'dios Akhilleus'), say phos (ie. phosphoros, the 'light bearer' - Greek for the Latin Lucifer.) But if Genesis was in truth meant, I cannot recall the name of God used in that passage. I know they use a whole bunch of different names (as I've said, Jehova is not one of them.) Elohim, Adonai (most high), El (originally the Caananite bull God, which figures in the last part of my name, Daniel - ie. El (God) is my judge), even Ba'al (meaning 'lord'.) I think it might be Elohim, though. Not sure what it means, but I know it's not 'light and love.'

However, if you're going for Genesis, you've gotta remember that the Hebrews had a lot more of a personal God... this idea of 'it wasn't this guy in a beard' comes out of our philosophical tradition which has come to understand an omni-god. This omni-god idea is what followed from the collision between Hebrew-Christian religion and Greek philosophy. The Hebrew god of the Old Testament is far more anthropomorphic than the one of the New Testament (barring, of course, the incarnate figure of Jesus... that's a different matter, though.) This is no doubt in part to the influence of Greek philosophy.

Also note that the OT God isn't 'light and love.' He's wrathful, and He's destroying, and He's jealous. I've seen some interesting articles which compare the mythological traditions of the Hebrews to the surrounding cultures, and how Yaweh at times takes on a warrior god charactaristic, spoken of much like to a goddess like Anat. The mythological influnences cannot be discounted. It might seem romantic to cast the old, first views into some sort of blissful god concept that was then made violent, but it seems to actually follow the reverse trend. The concepts of God as being personified in Light, Good, Beauty, and things like that show a marked Greek influence. Though even there there was an original thread of violence to the concept of the Gods. Zeus was, if not a patricide, at least a tyrant; Apollo (Apollon in Gk.), the very god of the sun, has a name from apo-ollumi... 'to destroy.' Apollo is 'the destroyer.' That secone part of his name is the same that is said when Akhilleus' anger is 'ruinous' (oulomenen.) So the gods of the old world have a warrior edge to them, and Genesis is no exception. Maynard is, well, outright wrong. The passing of judgement, this high king concept... was where it all started from. That is the original.

Quote from: Thought
Quite right. The Ontological argument was quite compelling at one time, but nowadays the standards of proof are different (at the time it was originally made, thought problems were considered better evidence than physical experimentation, a left over from the Greek philosophers). Really, it is little more than an extraploation on the theory of forms (I can conceive of what a chair is, even though not all chairs fit a single description, therefore there must be the idea of a chair that exists seprately and independent of other chairs; other chairs just being a reflection of that idea).

That's Descarte's Ontological. I was speaking of Anselms which is quite a bit different.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:47:45 pm by Daniel Krispin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 04:12:33 pm »
Applied theology is delicious.

But what part is supposed to be Descartes, Daniel? I was refering to Anselm's argument (particularly in the discussion of the surrounding time period), and as for the theory of forms that is, as you well know, Plato's. Do you mean that my comparison is better suited to Descartes than Anselm?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 05:27:47 pm »
Thanks for those facts on the Galileo debacle and the initial reception to Darwin, Thought. Those observations are quickly lost in the historical record; teachers have a way of abridging certain things.

Not that it matters at this point, but just wanted to clarify what I was attempting to say with the chimp -> missing link thing. If we gain complete control over genetic processes with our knowledge of DNA, it should be possible to create the Missing Link from scratch, just as we could create a Serge model from scratch with our knowledge of hexadecimal. Knowing the properties of the Missing Link as per what ZeaLitY posted, humanity could freakin' create its own ancestor, if we so choose. Not that I'd recommend we dump money into such an endeavor or anything.

Anacalius

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 10:23:22 pm »

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 11:07:24 pm »