Author Topic: New DS game from the Kato/Mitsuda team  (Read 2026 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: New DS game from the Kato/Mitsuda team
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:02:48 am »
Oh? Is that how it is? Were we having a "Who Can Suck The Most" Competition? Oh, ok then, I admit defeat.

:P

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 07:31:35 am »
At least I win in something ;-)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 01:48:15 pm »
V,

I'm sure you've heard this about 10,000 times but you should play xenogears...and hell even the sagas were pretty good (though xeno gears has priority).

Is it a personal vendetta?

--JP

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 07:44:28 pm »
No, there are TONS of PSX (& PS2) games I need to play...I got to play a bit of the first of the Xenosagas...wasn't super great, but I hear they get better in each game...the story is very convoluted, as I  had heard...but now that I've also played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, it doesn't seem so bad, I guess? But whatever...I want to play Xenogears more than the -sagas because I've played a demo of Xenogears & remember really enjoying the commercial.

EDIT: Weird, I wrote "commercial" when I meant "battle system"...Was I high or something?...>_>
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:18:00 pm by V_Translanka »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 07:49:44 pm »
Yea the -sagas stories are convoluted and it's really annoying cause I forget what happened in the previous incarnation by the time the next one comes out so it's hard to get into them.  That being said I did finish them and enjoy it.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 07:51:33 pm »
Updating with a link to the character art at RPGamer.
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/nds/worldd/art/worlddart042908-1.html

The heroine automatically fulfills the requirements for utter coolness -- a freakishly dangerous weapon and some kinda long coat-thingy. I'm still worried about the pirate Care Bear though. And the fact that the main character is holding a basket of fruit. Something tells me the heroine's going to be doing most of the fighting...

All-in-all, the game appears to be shaping up nicely. This is going to be a sprite-ripper's dream once a ROM escapes the confines of its DS medium and alights onto the hard drive of someone equipped with TileMolester. The game resources would go quite with those of Breath of Fire III. And seeing as Breath of Fire III is practically fraught with "Dragon Gods," well...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 07:57:02 pm by FaustWolf »

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 08:35:03 pm »
...but now that I've also played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, it doesn't seem so bad, I guess?
YOU TAKE THAT BACK,... NOW!  :lol:

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 08:38:59 pm »
SO:TTEOT never kept my attention, the story could move just a bit[/i faster. Other then that a was not impressed with the combat, or the inventing system.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 09:10:32 pm »
SO:TTEOT never kept my attention,
The only turn-offs, for me, anyways, was the two extremely annoying characters(those who have played the game know to whom I'm referring) and the annoying theme music. Other than that, the cut-scenes were awesome, though short, and the character development(P.A.) system was good as well.

Other then that a was not impressed with the combat
I don't know--I liked it; once you get the A.I. training system down and master the AAAs and sidestepping system, it isn't so bad. It also helps to know how to properly set up your weapons, characters, and teams.

, or the inventing system.
Agreed, I liked the SO 1/2 systems better.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 11:23:37 pm »
I liked the story a bit more because it seemed to me (I haven't played the middle games) that they really expanded the SO universe quite a bit...yeah, I think part of how I view Till the End of Time is because I got both of the annoying characters and never knew why the two cooler characters just up & left my party...I was bummed to say the least...as for the battle system...yeah, I really hate the whole AI system...ever since the annoying AI in Seiken Densetsu II/Secret of Mana, I've never liked not being able to control ALL of my party members...even NPCs in FFTactics pissed me off, though...*shrugs* I need to play it again and try not to get those two crappy characters...I feel like it'll be 10x more enjoyable and maybe I'll actually attempt that final dungeon thingy that way...

Molotov

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • SDA Chrono Cross page.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 01:03:21 am »
The only turn-offs, for me, anyways, was the two extremely annoying characters(those who have played the game know to whom I'm referring) and the annoying theme music.

I don't want to repeat myself here, but I'd just like to say that if you included Peppita in that, I'll be a sad panda. Roger, on the other hand, I completely agree with.

I also want to note that I thought the theme music was good. O_o

[Edit]: On topic: Am I the only one who thinks the main character looks like Haley Joel Osment in that first linked picture (egad!)? Also, what a stupid outfit he has on.

Hopefully the teddy bear's personality doesn't suck though, because he seems neat. :P
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:07:36 am by Molotov »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 08:29:06 pm »
Great, a Lolita character.  :roll:

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 03:04:08 pm »
SO:TTEOT never kept my attention, the story could move just a bit[/i faster. Other then that a was not impressed with the combat, or the inventing system.
Star Ocean: The Second Story is so much better than Star Ocean: Till The End of Time.

I still need to play Xenogears.

And I'm hoping an english port comes to us!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 11:58:59 am »
Star Ocean: TTEOT was good because it actually felt like a sci-fi game with interplanetary travel.  Don't get me wrong; I absolutely LOVED Star Ocean 1/2, but both of them didn't really end up as sci-fi as I hoped.  Such as, in Star Ocean 2, Claude's laser gun is useless after he uses it once.  Thus he turns to using swords...  Not much of a lazer gun, eh Claude?

Did anyone play the Game Boy sequel to Star Ocean 2?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 09:37:06 pm »
That would be SO: Blue Sphere, I guess? And nope...no English version of BS (lol) has been released...

They haven't even done a NA release of First Departure...lame...wow, it was one of the PSP releases that SE did that had an optional special PSP release too! Dang. They did a couple of those for DS too...

and a gay little case too!