Author Topic: Another Topic To Find The Rom  (Read 24780 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Another Topic To Find The Rom
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »
I corrected a few tiles on the Last Village map, so that's fine. As for the others, I'll just say  :picardno. No dialogue should have been changed, that's for sure.

I'm not sure what's going on, so discount my check-in -- all editing of the ROM needs to be done absolutely linearly so we can avoid oddities like this. I'm going to re-insert and re-assemble the nighttime Zeal overworld from scratch when I can get the ROM during some period of downtime in bug squashing.

json, I'd recommend going with your latest patch and then applying Chrono'99's changes here to that. I'm perfectly fine with starting the Zeal overworld again from scratch. I've got the palette and graphics pack on hand, I'll just need to do the tile assembly again. I have to deconstruct the entire cloud cover anyway due to a flub I made (the cloud layers fit together like a jenga puzzle). It may seem extreme, but I'm 100% confident this is the best way to proceed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:10:17 pm by FaustWolf »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2009, 11:27:36 pm »
Change 11 is the 1 A.D. OW and change 12 is the Zeal islands OW. Remember, Temporal Flux fits its modifiable data into free space.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2009, 11:28:04 pm »
Hm....what exactly is the step by step process you used?  Do you use TF compression to insert it?  Maybe it causes some reordering of the data?  In my experience it shouldn't though.

That being said....I'm pretty sure that all of your changes are totally static?  Can you make a patch with ONLY those changes.  

So ....
Download my latest patch
Make your changes
make an ips from the original CE patch and your patch.

you patch should only be a few KB's and should be able to be applied to any chrono trigger rom instead of just the flavor of the day CE build.

--JP

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2009, 11:31:35 pm »
Double posting:

Oh....damn that makes since I guess the Dialogue left that location a long time ago then....I'll start using FW's patch then.  I guess the map itself wouldn't be static would it?

--JP

This is a check out

By the way FW, I won't be as crazy about double checking changes in the future :)

Oh yea check out.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:33:53 pm by jsondag2 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2009, 11:37:53 pm »
This is the little patch I patched to the version of the ROM you posted earlier, but don't worry about it for now I guess? I still need to figure out what happened graphically.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2009, 11:44:51 pm »
For the Porre sergeant and private...

Once the new graphics are in, all one needs to do is repoint GI Jogger's graphics (I believe he's NPC 52) to the new NPC. That way, we won't have to change all GI Joggers in the game to Laruba chiefs.

The Porre sergeant will have to be a new NPC, but it shouldn't be hard. Just find an unused NPC slot and put the palette in, then point the NPC to graphics / palette / etc. accordingly. His only appearance is at the meeting, I think, so that's the only NPC that needs to be changed.

Chrono Tweaker does all this, but IIRC, there's some kind of issue with Chrono Tweaker, so maybe there's a better way?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2009, 11:54:22 pm »
I've used chrono tweaker to repoint graphics many times.

--JP

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:15 pm »
Ok, great. I'll be back in an hour or so.

I am getting the biggest rush ever out of this. The level of coordination and cooperation is mind-blowing. Every damn day I work on Crimson Echoes's release, I have to remind myself that I only want to help JP's future Glenn hack, and then I want to retire. JP is still taking a lot of bullets with coding and programming. Making bugfixes reminded me how sticky that can get in complicated events.

I'm just...sort of mystified how it all came together. Everyone's individual influence contributed. Chrono'99's plot revisions, some of Hadriel's stuff, JP's lines (which, for NPCs, I often used as a base to write the revised versions), my jokes, like Frog's "I'm going to get medieval on you", and the little humorous throwbacks to other elements of the Chrono series...I'm just sort of speechless. I don't think it would have been possible at any place except the Compendium. I just wish I knew how this all psychologically worked so i could reproduce it again and again.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:12:55 am by ZeaLitY »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2009, 01:08:38 am »
Good news -- I've determined that the graphic messup on the Zeal overworld isn't due to anything Temporal Flux did, but rather something curious that happened in TileMolester. So no corruption there, and as long as the patch log doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, we should be good. I'll just need to reinsert the graphics pack for the cloud layers in the newest version of the ROM to be posted here.

EDIT: Now, this is Zeal at Night. All I have to do is re-insert the graphics pack, which will take just a fraction of a second. I'll do that tomorrow with the freshest ROM.

What do you guys think of the stars? Do you want the star clusters to be more dense/less dense? Anyone have any favorite constellations?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:42:52 am by FaustWolf »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 17, 2009, 02:58:05 am »
Personally I'm fine with the stars, although, well, if we want to make it absolutely perfect, I think the sky above the clouds should be have a dark blue tint rather than be pitch black. The Enlightened Ones are above the clouds, but still inside the atmosphere (or else it would have been black even in daytime). But this might be difficult to change considering it's about palette, unless you can use one of the dark blue colors? If it's too annoying to change don't worry about it.

EDIT: Also now that you mention it, the scrolling does look nice in-game. I'd still like to slow it down a bit though, as stars don't move that fast in real.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:03:29 am by Chrono'99 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 17, 2009, 03:06:14 am »
It's actually supposed to be at night though, right? Or do you guys have day scenes too? If it's during nighttime I'd keep the black, since it's the sun's light that makes the sky blue as opposed to black. I was more worried about the clouds still being white and blue -- maybe some dark grays and purples would have been better for those, but the blue overlay takes care of that pretty handily as-is. However, we may have to change the cloud colors if the new overlay you're going to use doesn't have that effect on the clouds any longer.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:00 am »
It's only shown at night. So yeah, it should be black, sorry. As you can tell, my knowledge in physics is a a bit...off. Now that I think about it, the sky is obviously black at night (wow that's embarrassing  :oops: ).

I'll look into the overlay later today, all the more as someone said in the beta-testing forum that it was too dark in the locations. It's the same shade in the locations and the overworld, so I'll look into both.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2009, 04:59:31 am »
So, i can't seem to be able to upload the patch....it's not giving any error but just stalls.  I'm going to email it to zeality but if anyone else wants it and is online then shoot me an email at jpsondag@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

--JP

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 17, 2009, 05:16:24 am »
So....i  couldn't just uplaod the patch...it worked with this zip file.  The password is:

common12!   (i gave it a password cause i was going to put it up on my ftp server but that's not necessary anymore)

--JP
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:19:26 am by jsondag2 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:55 am »
Definitely try keeping the stars with a more purple / graying / dark cloud effect, and try it with / without the overlay.

Even if everything after this is a trainwreck, what we have is still great, here.