Author Topic: King Guardia and the Rainbow Shell  (Read 2479 times)

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
King Guardia and the Rainbow Shell
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:47:54 am »
I just finished replaying Chrono Trigger, and I'm left with a question.

On the Rainbow Shell sidequest, when you finally return to the present you find that King Guardia is on trial for selling the 'family heirloom', the Rainbow Shell.  It's not surprising that Marle is confused ("But there IS no family heirloom!") because, if I understand it correctly, she's immune to some degree to the changes that she makes in time.

However, why doesn't King Guardia know of the Rainbow Shell?  He adamantly states that there is no family heirloom either.  But since he hasn't been time hopping with everyone else, why isn't he affected by the changes that Crono, Marle, and Co. made in the past (storing the Rainbow Shell in the Guardia treasury in 600AD)?  He should have grown up knowing that the Rainbow Shell was there!

Perhaps I've missed something simple here.  Any ideas?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: King Guardia and the Rainbow Shell
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:52:36 am »
While curious, I always took that to mean that even in the new time line he wasn't aware of it. I don't know about half the stuff my parents have at their house, let alone what my ancestors from 400 years ago had. As the shell was in a storage area, it wouldn't surprise me if the King hand never even been in that wing of the castle.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:04:13 am »
While curious, I always took that to mean that even in the new time line he wasn't aware of it. I don't know about half the stuff my parents have at their house, let alone what my ancestors from 400 years ago had. As the shell was in a storage area, it wouldn't surprise me if the King hand never even been in that wing of the castle.

Well, it was stored in the Treasury, not a regular wing.  It would be his job, as a King, to know what's a national treasure and what's not.  The Pendant is identified as a national treasure during Crono's Trial, and it's made out to be a big deal.  So the Rainbow Shell, also being a National Treasure, would be something the King would naturally know about.  Kings would know that sort of thing.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:05:57 am »
I thought it was weird too, especially considering that a lot of NPCs (at least in 600ad) knew of it and Toma's failed quest to find it.

But then you look at all the details, like how YakraChancellor and everyone in the court didn't know about it either outside of the old will, Leene's letter and knowledge that Crono and gang were all time travelers... and you get into freaky conspiracy theory territory.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:47:24 am »
Doesn't Leene say that it'll be kept secret? Maybe she meant even from their own ancestors...There's also monsters in the treasury, right?...perhaps they were allowed to populate down there in order to guard the treasures over the years...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:33:39 am »
Kings would know that sort of thing.

Right. Can you name off all the national treasures of where you live? Do you think your nation's leader could?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:27:58 am »
It was another Yakra that was pursuing the charges, no?  I assume the Yakra line knew of it, while most did not.  Yakra then proceeds with his plan to overthrow the King and start the accusations and the trial.  Since barely anyone knows of this treasure, they can easily assume that the King is indeed stealing, especially if there is a convincing argument.  It is not like the jury has the "CSI effect", where one needs indisputable, forensic evidence/proof that the King, did indeed steal a rainbow shell.  They won't be dusting for fingerprints, scanning for fibres, hairs, other sources of DNA, etc.  They proceed with the trial as a trial used to be done, with convincing arguments, non-DNA evidence and witnesses.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:33:19 pm »
I thought this was interesting too especially why would it happened now all of the sudden. But, I assume that if it was to be kept a secret then the community would dismiss it as a legend and after 400 years it died out. And, if some Mystics were allowed to be there I wouldn't be surprised if they talked to each other and the Yarka eventually learned of it and decided to get his revenge. Plus royalty are usually protected so they probable never herd the legend after about 200 years.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 02:53:47 am »
Kings would know that sort of thing.

Right. Can you name off all the national treasures of where you live? Do you think your nation's leader could?

1 - I'm not a Leader/Queen/Whatever, so I'm not privy to all the secrets of my nation.

2 - Dude, that question is so unfair.  My country's leader dances in front of reporters, and says things like...  "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"  :)

But silliness aside, even if the Rainbow Shell were a national secret of some sort, why wouldn't the royal family know?  I mean, it's possible that you're right and they don't know, but in that case who would?  Someone would have to know somewhere along the way (not just Yakra and his goons).  Eventually someone would see it and go, "Hey, what's that big sparkly shell-looking thing over there?"  :)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 02:59:15 am »
Maybe the Mystics found it first, had no way of transporting it or getting it out of the castle w/o anyone knowing and thus decided to keep it a secret to perhaps use against the kingdom in the future...and viola! 1000 AD pops up and it seems like as good a time as any...celebration takes focus away from the King's trial...and it's the 200 year anniversary of the Mystics' (& the original Yakra's) defeat. Thus the monsters were put in charge of keeping guards out of the furthest back rooms and all is right with their world until Crono & Co. (those blasted kids!) fuct their shit up.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 03:14:02 am »
Maybe the Mystics found it first, had no way of transporting it or getting it out of the castle w/o anyone knowing and thus decided to keep it a secret to perhaps use against the kingdom in the future...and viola! 1000 AD pops up and it seems like as good a time as any...celebration takes focus away from the King's trial...and it's the 200 year anniversary of the Mystics' (& the original Yakra's) defeat. Thus the monsters were put in charge of keeping guards out of the furthest back rooms and all is right with their world until Crono & Co. (those blasted kids!) fuct their shit up.

You know, that makes a lot of sense.  That's probably the most logical explanation then, since Yakra's descendants had it in for the Guardia royal line.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:57:08 am »
....Didn't I say that......

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 01:24:47 pm »
...Why is it illegal to sell a family heirloom in the first place?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 01:55:22 pm »
yea you did.

...Why is it illegal to sell a family heirloom in the first place?
I wouldnt sat illegal but its frowned upon, it was mostly a kangaroo court anyways.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 05:43:46 pm »

Yeah, I sorta just added what you said to what I said & filled in the gaps.