Author Topic: Top 10 Video Games  (Read 4529 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Video Games
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 03:11:48 pm »
platformers...?

did i hear 'super mario galaxy'?

if so, consider my interest peaked.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 03:12:58 pm »
So, all this talk of chromosomes... does that mean that men are the only ones who are seXY?
Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.

Say, does that mean that the main character of CT has... Chronosomes?

Okay, I'll stop.

I am 26 myself (or close enough), and male. My list is quite admittedly mostly just my favorite games, but a good number of them are favorites specifically because they are unique in ways that would make me argue for their placement in a more objective list (Dark Cloud 2 being on that list specifically for reasons other than my own like of the game, for example)

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:33 pm »
Ah yes X-com I didn't forget you but your not a top ten for me, stuck down at about 11/12 sorry. Just couldn't stand those chryssaild(spelling?)

God I fell horrible now. :(

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 11:14:02 pm »
1. Vagrant Story
2. Chrono Cross/Chrono Trigger
3. Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
4. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2/Legacy of Kain: Defiance
5. Ultima Online
6. Diablo II
7. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic/Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords
8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9. Final Fantasy VII
10... and beyond!: The whole Half-life series, God of War/God of War II, Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition, Company of Heroes, Gears of War, Portal, Okami, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, Winning Eleven 4, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Tekken 3/Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 3, Age of Empires II, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, Battlefield 1942, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

I guess that's it. I'm not being very technical here, what counted the most was how much these games had me interested in and the ammount of fun and inspiration they provided.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:41:38 pm by cupn00dles »

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 05:02:45 pm »
I am 26 myself (or close enough), and male.
19; male

I see there are a lot of final fantasy fans here.  :) Don't get me wrong, I *am* a final fantasy fanatic, having played 1,2,3j,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10-2,11,12, and hopefully 13. (I didn't think VIII, X, XI, and X-2 respectively were that great. They just didn't have the feeling of the series' overall quality.) But only Final Fantasy Tactics landed on my top ten because of its inherent style which I appreciated. In addition, I'm a perfectionist in these games and find myself jaunting to Lv 10-15 in the first chapter, usually within two to three hours, depending on distraction level, with ease while others (friends and acquaintances)  find themselves in the 4th to 5th chapter at level 4-7 and wondering why the "damn game" is so hard. (the mind boggles... :roll:) Having done low level challenges and other similar challenges, I *know* they *aren't* for beginners, so yeah...

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »
did i hear 'super mario galaxy'?
Honestly, if I had a Wii to play Galaxy, I wouldn't PLAY Galaxy. I'd be too busy smashing the BRAINS out of Kirby with Sonic. Heeheehee... I can't WAIT for Brawl! AND the day we can afford a Wii! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! *runs around in circles*

... the concept of most challenges scares me to the point where I might have nightmares. I couldn't imagine FFX without my Sphere Grid... and FFVIII, I think, would be IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT JUNCTIONS. You just... attack. Nothing else. And you wouldn't do all that much without the junctions to your strength. No magic, no stealing, no throwing... NO ITEMS. Death on a crutch!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 02:00:27 am »
Yeah, the only FF challenge I've ever even wanted to try was the CES (aka Celes/Edgar/Setzer) FFVI challenge...mainly to see if Tina DOES show up in the end regardless (I've heard conflicting stories)...though I suppose I could confirm that w/o CES...*shrugs*

I've never seen the FF series as being too big on needing to level much...I just go through it normally, though I do hunt dungeons judiciously...so I guess I get a little extra leveling that way...

I've done more 'challenges' for Tecmo Superbowl. :P

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 11:03:51 am »
Smash Brothers Brawl...  i can't wait.

and about final fantasy...

remember omega weapon from ffVIII?  that critter gave me such a hard time...  but eventually i triumphed.  i think that was the first REAL challenge i had encountered in a video game...  (i had a harder time with omega weapon than emerald of ruby weapons from ffVII)...

what did you guys think of final fantasy IX?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 11:19:11 am »
I never bothered with challenges for any game...there is barely enough time to play the game period, let alone waste hours trying to challenge yourself with pointless ..well, challenges.
Never finished IX come to think of it.  Got right near the end and lost interest...can't say it was one of my favourites though.  I preferred 8 over 9.  Omega took care of me real fast, never beat him.  And I can definitely say that I have 0 interest in any Smash Brothers game.  It is hard to see why so many people are so anxious for it.  I played the first one back on the n64 and it was OK but it didn't leave much of a lasting impression...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 11:22:47 am »
each smash game just built on the last.  they arent necessarily true sequels.  they build SO MUCH on the past game and make so many changes (for the better).  they're just solid party brawlers.  thats why people like the smash series.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:05 am »
they're just solid party brawlers.  thats why people like the smash series.

Oh OK, see I am a recluse, so parties and party games, I have no idea.  8)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »
I think that besides FFTactics, FFIX was the best of the PSX-gen FFs. Though I also really liked FFVIII as well, the character development for VIII was just far too lacking...Besides Squall & Rinoa, no one else gets much at all...heck, Laguna & Seifer both got more development than the rest of the actual party...So VIII's strongpoint wasn't the character development, but the neat love story & interesting new take on gameplay.

FFIX was nearly VIII's polar opposite. With a focus much more on some of the series' most well developed characters, a meh okay little classic-throwback storyline & a hodgepodge gameplay system. But I ended up really liking the characters (minus Zidane, who you know next to nothing about until the final 15 min of the game)...Vivi rulz your face.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 09:26:55 pm »
agreeeeeed.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 09:34:57 pm »
FFIX is my favourite video game. I adore it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 10:56:24 pm »
i forgot to add morrowind onto my list.  darn.