Author Topic: So where are the Gurus at...?  (Read 1210 times)

Trixter

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
So where are the Gurus at...?
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:22:58 pm »
I understand that Melchoir is trapped on Mt. Woe, but what about the other 2 Gurus?  Where are they at when Crono arrives in Zeal?  One lady in Zeal says, "They say that Gaspar, the guru of time, continues his work on some deserted island."  So I guess that accounts for Gaspar...kind of.  But when I think of the original timeline I remember seeing Gaspar getting thrown into a gate to the End of Time.  So I suppose he came back from his deserted island to the Ocean Palace?

And what about Belthasar?  A guy in Zeal says, "Even Belthasar is gone, ... How strange that the three Gurus who guide Zeal have all disappeared."

I don't think that Magus' intereaction as a Prophet answers this question because the lady who talks about Gaspar also says this.  "He's [Gaspar] making a Time Egg or something.  But no ones seen him for ages."  So that means that Gaspar was missing even before Magus came to Zeal.

Trixter

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: So where are the Gurus at...?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 02:37:42 am »
I guess no ones willing to take a shot at answering this?

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
  • Male...female......what's the difference?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:15:30 am »
I understand that Melchoir is trapped on Mt. Woe, but what about the other 2 Gurus?  Where are they at when Crono arrives in Zeal? 
Yeah, no one really knows where they are. I, personally, was kinda of disappointed about not seeing much of an answer to this question in the Prophet's Guile hack. Sure, they both make a quick appearance. But nothing really is ever answered in this regard.
I don't know if you've played it already, it's actually kinda a short and pretty easy.

One lady in Zeal says, "They say that Gaspar, the guru of time, continues his work on some deserted island." 
So I guess that accounts for Gaspar...kind of.  But when I think of the original timeline I remember seeing Gaspar getting thrown into a gate to the End of Time.  So I suppose he came back from his deserted island to the Ocean Palace?

Yeah, Gaspar's location is actually a little more specified in the game than Belthasar's. I personally always thought that one of the inaccessible other islands in Zeal, was actually 'the' deserted island in which he continued his work.
Perhaps the one with the Elemental Weapons in it? I always believed this one to be it, because of the fact that it's probably where their 'original' magic abilities originated from, and because this would also account for Spekkio's creation, somehow?

And what about Belthasar?  A guy in Zeal says, "Even Belthasar is gone, ... How strange that the three Gurus who guide Zeal have all disappeared."

Belthasar is an enigma. Not very much is learned about him, from this game, at least (which I personally love the fact that they actually ammended this with Chrono Cross). He is a genius. I mean, not for anything he is Guru of Reason. He constructed the Black Bird, the Ocean Palace, the Epoch & Neo-Epoch. Not to mention the fact that he orchastrated all of Project Kid.
Now, why would such an intelligent person hang around in only one place all the time? hahaha. He wouldn't.

As such, I would imagine that he was an extremely busy person while he lived his life in Zeal serving under the queen as one of her gurus. Perhaps he was overseeing the construction of all of his creations, and never really stayed for very long in one place for the party to catch up with him. He obviously was hanging around Zeal, during or around the time the party gets there.
At least that much makes sense, since he had to have been informed in some way of their presence, in order for him to have the forsesight to literally predict everything about how they could effect the events that transpired during the Ocean Palace incident and orchastrate a 'Project Dummie' for them to be able to fix the death of Crono at the hands of Lavos.

I don't think that Magus' intereaction as a Prophet answers this question because the lady who talks about Gaspar also says this.  "He's [Gaspar] making a Time Egg or something.  But no ones seen him for ages."  So that means that Gaspar was missing even before Magus came to Zeal.

It obviously doesn't. Only Melchior's ultimate fate is affected by the Propeht, as he wouldn't have ever been imprisoned there by anyone else, other than Magus himself.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:31:32 am by dankun »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 07:43:58 am »
I don't think that you have to interpret that as meaning he was "missing" before the Prophet touched down in Zeal...I mean, if he really was working on the Time Egg, he'd probably want to do his research away from others and would thus not be seen by the general public...the Zealian says "no one", but do you think she's asked the Queen & other such higher ups? I sure doubt it.

So basically I think they're all just locked up...probably in different ways in different places that we're not made awares...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:50 pm »
Magus-as-the-Prophet probably could be specifically responsible for the disappearance of all the Guru's. He lived through the Ocean Palace Event and knew that they'd be sent through portals and be lost in time. These are powerful figures; he needed them out of the way in order to get at Lavos. Thus, he influenced the Queen and put pressure on them. Gaspar and Belthasar were chased away, but they fled of their own accord. Melchior, however, choose to stay behind and as such was forcibly imprisoned.

Gaspar hadn't been seen for ages, but that doesn't mean he wasn't around. He could just as easily have been hold up in his "lab," working on his projects. The queen may have well seen him, but that isn't for the common folk to concern themselves with.

As for Belthasar, same could go for him.

However, it should be noted that, if I recall correctly, the Elemental Palace was, at one point, going to be a dungeon in its own right. Therefore one (or maybe both) of the remaining Guru's could have been specifically imprisoned there. Regardless, presumably black portals opened up and took them as well (as the same happened to Melchior and Janus).

These aren't meant to be definite answers, just that their lack of a presence isn't necessarily a huge mystery.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:36:50 am »
Yeah, Gaspar's location is actually a little more specified in the game than Belthasar's. I personally always thought that one of the inaccessible other islands in Zeal, was actually 'the' deserted island in which he continued his work.
Perhaps the one with the Elemental Weapons in it? I always believed this one to be it, because of the fact that it's probably where their 'original' magic abilities originated from, and because this would also account for Spekkio's creation, somehow?
I always assumed the same.  He was busy at work on one of the other islands.  I tried for a couple minutes to find a way to it, but to no avail... :(

Belthasar is an enigma. Not very much is learned about him, from this game, at least (which I personally love the fact that they actually ammended this with Chrono Cross). He is a genius. I mean, not for anything he is Guru of Reason. He constructed the Black Bird, the Ocean Palace, the Epoch & Neo-Epoch. Not to mention the fact that he orchastrated all of Project Kid.
Now, why would such an intelligent person hang around in only one place all the time? hahaha. He wouldn't.
Thus, Belthasar is my favorite NPC.  hehehe Enigmatic Mystery.  His location, I never questioned just for that fact.  No one else will be able to figure out where he's off to, so there's no point racking my brain on it either.