Author Topic: ANOTHER shooting rampage?  (Read 1600 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
ANOTHER shooting rampage?
« on: February 15, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »
I'm not sure whether it's made international news, but those of us living in the US have probably heard tale of two shootings in the south (I think one in Louisiana IIRC) and two shootings in Illinois (the latest just yesterday) over the span of a month or so. Various settings have been affected, from college campuses to shopping malls.

What the heck gives? This is getting ridiculous. Civilians must be made aware that any environment -- a classroom, a department store, a library, etc. -- can become a war zone at any moment. I'm starting to think community disaster preparedness meetings are in order to instill survival skills in the everyman and everywoman who lacks combat training.

What should the US government (or State & local governments or college and high school administrations) do? A psychological evaluation of every college and high school student (goodbye privacy)? Ban handguns (hello NRA uproar)? Give everyone a handgun (better get those psychological evaluations done first...)? Get an armed security officer in every classroom and department store (hello police state)?

Just wanted to vent at the idiocy that's happening in my country. It's clear that something has to be done, and it's going to be politically difficult, so in reality nothing will be done, and US citizens won't even be taught whatever useful skills may come in handy during these crisis situations. Is this happening in any of the other countries represented at the Compendium?

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: ANOTHER shooting rampage?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:29:33 pm »
Is it a mass media result on weak/troubled minds? We are not sure, but it has become very common in the US. From my point of view, the only choice is to change the weapon policies, the banning may reduce these kind of terrible accidents, but it's never going to be a complete solution, as long as people keep thinking as Rambo all the time and thinks that they can solve their problems with bullets.
A scientific answer comes to be the Amok syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_amok), but maybe he just wanted to shoot people and himself, anyway, do not try to do the same people.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 01:32:48 pm »
Thanks for pointing out the article. If guns are to be banned for non-police citizens, we must also do something to stem the flow of small arms on whatever black markets are out there. And cough up the political will to go in and disarm all those citizens who are holed up in their houses with M16 rifles for fear of their government.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:45:35 pm »
Limiting the access to guns is by far the best way to go.  Damn near impossible considering we have "the right to bear arms." in our bloody constitution.  Good luck getting that changed but access to guns/bullets are the problem.  One of the many reasons I moved to Canada. 8)  Chris Rock had some damn good ideas.  Knives for Guns or making bullets cost $5,000.   There is probably a lack of communication here too, in North America.  Families are always busy with no time to  talk amongst each other.  And North America's parenting system is crap.  I am sure there is a plethora of causes and no easy solution.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 02:04:50 pm »
[...] What the heck gives? This is getting ridiculous. Civilians must be made aware that any environment -- a classroom, a department store, a library, etc. -- can become a war zone at any moment. I'm starting to think community disaster preparedness meetings are in order to instill survival skills in the everyman and everywoman who lacks combat training.

What should the US government (or State & local governments or college and high school administrations) do? A psychological evaluation of every college and high school student (goodbye privacy)? Ban handguns (hello NRA uproar)? Give everyone a handgun (better get those psychological evaluations done first...)? Get an armed security officer in every classroom and department store (hello police state)? [...]
In my opinion, mind you, (all we can do is to speculate as to what the overall cause of this rash of shootings of recent years.) It boils down to the state of environment. We *are* a violent society that pretends not to be, and as such, on an individual basis, we tend to brush off violent tendencies as a "phase" that one will pass out of rather than preventing, *at a younger age*, what could be, a potentially serious mental illness or school shooting. (and people wonder why 1-in-4 have a mental illness and why pills aren't fixing the problems incurred by said illnesses.) We need to stop lying to ourselves as a society and deal with the problems at hand.

As for gun control, and again I'm not trying to start an argument here, taking guns away from vendors, stores, and citizens is only masking the problem even more. Besides all that would mean is that they would have to get their "stuff" elsewhere.

And as for the security guard thing; It still *kinda* brushes things under the rug. All I can see from that is a rash of civilian *and* security guard shootings.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:11:25 pm by BROJ »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:23:50 pm »
And as for the security guard thing; It still *kinda* brushes things under the rug. All I can see from that is a rash of civilian *and* security guard shootings.

One of my exact concerns as well. I wonder how many crazy security guard rampages there have been over the decades? Certainly this would need to be examined before the security guard policy could go into effect.

I might be in favor of giving everyone non-lethal voltage tasers, but I'm given pause by that early Simpsons episode in which Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa started shocking each other incessantly when given access to some kind of electrical family therapy devices. Addressing underlying cultural problems that lead to violence would be a good step to take. All these people who go on rampages have troubled pasts, if I'm not mistaken.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:38:24 pm »
Limiting the access to guns is by far the best way to go.

Meh, then we just go from school shootings to school stabbings. Certainly, fewer people would die, it wouldn't get as much media attention, but it doesn't solve the problem. Indeed, we don't really even know what the problem is except that some people are unreasonably violent. Could be their environment, could be genes, could be that they are damn morons who need a swift kick to the ass.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 02:41:13 pm »

One of my exact concerns as well. I wonder how many crazy security guard rampages there have been over the decades? Certainly this would need to be examined before the security guard policy could go into effect.

I might be in favor of giving everyone non-lethal voltage tasers, but I'm given pause by that early Simpsons episode in which Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa started shocking each other incessantly when given access to some kind of electrical family therapy devices. Addressing underlying cultural problems that lead to violence would be a good step to take. All these people who go on rampages have troubled pasts, if I'm not mistaken.

I might be in favor of giving everyone non-lethal voltage tasers, but I'm given pause by that early Simpsons episode in which Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa started shocking each other incessantly when given access to some kind of electrical family therapy devices.
:lol: That was a good episode and an older one if I'm not mistaken.

All these people who go on rampages have troubled pasts, if I'm not mistaken.
And unfortunately all society can say is: "I didn't see this problem before, he/she was such a quiet boy/girl..." like somehow they couldn't have something before, which is only an excuse for the most reclusive mentally ill (and they are "mentally ill" if something like this comes across as a *realistic* thought.)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:59:53 pm by BROJ »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »
The shooter from my school, the shooting was at a school alot of people from high school go to.

I dont know what's wrong with people...

--JP

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 02:46:09 pm »
Limiting guns, while not the only solution is a step in the right direction.  Stabbing is more intimate than shooting and I would hazard a guess that the amount of deaths would decrease substantially.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 02:49:55 pm »
jsondag, do you attend the university that was just rampaged? Or was there a prior incident at the college you're attending? Holy cow. And didn't Kyronea report at one point of a school shooting incident at his/her high school? Are we Compendiumites disproportionately affected by these things?

*FW starts casing all academic buildings at his college for escape routes* I really am becoming that paranoid. I met one of the Virginia Tech victims at a conference just a few weeks before that incident. One has to wonder.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:52:27 pm by FaustWolf »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 03:33:16 pm »
Limiting guns, while not the only solution is a step in the right direction.  Stabbing is more intimate than shooting and I would hazard a guess that the amount of deaths would decrease substantially.

No doubt that stabbings would result in fewer deaths, but it seems a little like leech-craft. It lessens the pain but doesn't address the cause. It is a step in a direction that may be good, but I wouldn't say it is a step in the right direction.

Maybe kevlar vests should be standard academic issue.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »
Maybe kevlar vests should be standard academic issue.

Can you say "head shot". I don't think application of superficial solutions will solve the matter at hand. :?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »
Gun control is inefficient and costly; consult the Virginia tech shooting thread. As incidents in Texas has demonstrated,

seems to be a decent way to go.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:06 pm »
Gun control is inefficient and costly; consult the Virginia tech shooting thread. As incidents in Texas has demonstrated,

seems to be a decent way to go.

What was that!!?  :shock: