Author Topic: Moving into the real world  (Read 1089 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Moving into the real world
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:58:14 am »
Hey all,

It's not often I post in general discussion but I recently got my full time Job (I'm graduating college in May) and was wondering out of curiosity how many other people are either out of college or finishing up this semester.

I am going to do grad school at night (my job said they'd pay for it), but I still feel the real world coming down upon me.

--JP

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
Re: Moving into the real world
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 02:15:24 am »
Well I am a high school student, but my grand college experience will be starting this fall. :D

Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 02:48:11 am »
College was fun, but it's nice to have money. Really nice.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 02:52:15 am »
Last semester of undergrad courses for me too. Then it's off to the world of work -or- grad school. I could never do both simultaneously. When would I find time to hack videogames?  :P

Money would be nice too, though.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:55:46 am »
Ditto situation. Future uncertain.

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 12:04:47 pm »
I'm in high school, starting university in the fall  >.>  [sarcasm]Yay![/sarcasm]

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 04:51:26 pm »
A few years into my chosen career, here. The college lifestyle has some nice things about it, but I like the real world better. Two tips: Find a job you love. It makes a huge difference. Also, be smart with money management. I have a spreadsheet, but something else may work for you. Try not to get a credit card, so you'll live within your means.

Good luck!

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 07:02:39 pm »
I am in both my career and in my last year of university (finally).  Was lucky enough to find my niche in the world before finishing uni, so I never had those 4th year jitters.  And my employer is paying 50%.  thumbs up!  I would get a credit card, just don't be an idiot like most and use it as well as spending your $$.  you can earn a few bucks in interest by using your credit card for the month while at the same time, saving your paychecks in an account.  Then at the end of the month pay your credit card bill.  Having a credit card does well for your credit rating too, which you will need to build up.  If you have bad spending habits then forget the card like radical dreamer said.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:21:38 am »
I technically finished a few years ago (year and a half, to be exact) but I could never stand to be outside the academic atmosphere of university. All I can manage is my summer jobs, and anything more would drag me down far too much. As such, it's been back to university for me, and will always be as such. With some luck I'll be starting graduate work in Classics next year. And after that... hopefully eternity in the university setting. I do eventually want to teach, so such a desire is actually realistic, just to add.

Not to mention that I consider the university setting the 'real world', and those outside mostly just living in shadows. Heh. Well, see, if you're living for just working, or else working just to live, and having other things on the side... I don't know, but the entire nature of what people call the 'real world' to me seems all too much as being slaves to such routine as shadows the mind from contemplating truth and reality. For the most. There are exceptions, but I'm very much inclined to think that 'out there' as it were is less real for that it is more grounded in the stuff of life... but that that stuff isn't actually the truest reality. Philosophy and study is. As Seneca would say, only the Philosophers (that is, those who study Knowledge) are truly alive, only they, in the contemplation of life, truly have life. People will often tell those sorts to get a life, or to start living in the real world, without understanding a whit that it is in fact quite the opposite, and when the end of it all comes it will be the philosophers who will either die happily knowing to have spent their life to full measure (or else rail against losing all that they have... but those wouldn't be stoics, heh), whereas it is those of the 'real' world more inclined to regret because, rather than learning and training themselves each day, they have put off developing themselves to the point that they never do. When their life ends, they have nothing to show for it, for the most, only a long life. That is what I see as the peril in the real world.

Of course, we all have our jobs to do. I'm not denying that. And people can be knowledge inclined in any setting, not just university. But that is where it is, primarially, and unfortunately what people, as a whole (that is, the hoi polloi) consider for real is certainly not that which is realest. Most never know the joys of Homer; nor the beauty of philosophy. A pity. Though, of course, Seneca was right: it is better to laugh at the foolish vanities of the real world than it is to weep at them. As leaves are the generations of humanity, to paraphrase Homer. But some of us leaves do better with that brief span than others. We are all given that high potential, of course. Just some choose not to make use of it, and rather flit about in vain endeavours never aiding them a bit of truth. That is my cause for railing against that all. And I see it, all too much, in my present society. This damned affulent culture here in my city, where people can make a heck of a lot of money because of the oil industry... all that which they consider to be real. And in the end what has it gained them? Nothing. Usually they lose it all. But Seneca, and Homer... these things aren't to be lost. That's why I'm staying in university, and fend off the real world with my sharpest sabre, and it will only have me at my last despair.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:30:20 am by Daniel Krispin »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:23:52 am »
Still in high school, will start uni in a few years (next year is my big final exam).

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 01:10:53 pm »
@Daniel

Oh I didn't mean to say away from academics is the real world (atleast post undergraduate).  I have plenty of friends staying in school and they are certainly moving into the real world to. 

I feel that undergraduate was a "fake world" because I would work day and night for a "letter" grade, and those letters have been the most important thing in my life for 4 years.  Which now that I'm leaving I've realized that there's alot more to life....like for instance I'm looking for a place to live now.

Many of my professors are living more fulfilled life in academia as I can ever hope to live.  They travel all the time and are learning some of the most interesting things in the world.

--JP

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 01:32:34 pm »
As long as you are happy, it does not matter if you know of the classics or study philosophy.  Do what you love and love what you do as best as you can.  If that means living in books and theorizing and thinking all day, then by all means, stick around a university and become a professor in philosophy.  If you prefer crunching numbers then find a career in Finance etc.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 03:39:46 pm »
I've left the university setting to work at a university until I can return to a university to eventually be employed at a university again. Seriously, my 5-year plan basically ends with me being exactly where I am now (only, teaching instead of administratoring).

College life really was great, if for no other reason than that it was part of my responsibility, as a student, to read. Now I have to cram my Collins, Tacitus, Grant, Barrie, Card, Wesley, and Elliott into lunch hours and those odd weekends. Sometimes it seems that the greatest crime of humanity is when it places a tie around a man's neck (or high heels on a woman's feet, to be equitable in analogies). Unfortunately it seems that thought dies outside that academic setting (and even in the academic setting, it ain't doing too hot).

I'm a prisoner in the real world, hoping to escape. Or at least wax (semi) poetically.

Actually, that is one of the wonderful things about the compendium here. Sure, we're just talking about video games (though, I don't think I can honestly say that most people find history, my chosen field, to be more relevant than such), but the discussion is generally intellectually stimulating.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 06:35:45 pm »
Have a couple years left in school, maybe 3 not too sure. I just recently switched my major to education. so I'm not quite sure where I'll fall.

So I'll escape into the real world to teach some math and science. I'll never escape school though lol.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 02:18:46 am »
Daniel, I feel that you are setting up a false dichotomy. You don't have to chose between looking at life and being a part of it. Philosophy books don't disolve when they leave a school; my copy of The Republic does not seem offended that it now has Brothers Karamazov for a neighbor. Out in the real world, you can continue to learn about whatever you wish, while being a part of the world you seem to seek to learn yourself away from.