Author Topic: CG R66-Y Scene - finished 3d art  (Read 11823 times)

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: CG R66-Y Scene - finished 3d art
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2008, 06:20:03 am »
wow, i really like the second one... i think im gonna roll with it.

rendered a higher res, higher quality image of everything to this point

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2008, 10:28:43 am »
*Claps*

Does 3DS Max have some sort of cloth texturing feature you could use for his pantlegs? What the heck kind of pants is Magus wearing in the Toriyama art, anyway?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:30:15 am by FaustWolf »

Unaisis

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • Gato is my Hero!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2008, 01:57:52 pm »
Wow Nice work!!! you are Extremely good at modeling and Texturing @.@. Its great to see people that Do beautiful 3d arts with Chrono series.

Btw, i just joined Chrono Compendium today cuz i got inspired by your work! :D

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »
thanks guys.

faustwolf - yes, 3ds max does have cloth simulations, and in fact the purple pants and blue undershirt are both cloth objects, they just haven't been simulated. The plan with them is to add a wind force, then simulate (once the scene is done) to add wrinkles and folds like realistic cloth. But for now they will look smooth and fake. The hair and also be simulated.

unaisis - thanks!

EDIT: accesories

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:13:05 pm by Straafe »

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 08:12:30 pm »
this is my second try at the cape:

im going to render everything to this point and post it shortly before i begin work on the environment

since this render i have made the chains thicker

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:34:52 pm by Straafe »

steampowered

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2008, 05:00:51 am »
I really like these, and I think it's great that you have a passion for this craft.

I was wondering how you get those textures so detailed... could you enlighten me?

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2008, 04:34:51 pm »
A lot of the textures started out as actual photographs/pics I got from google or other free texture sites (cgtextures.com / vray-materials.com) like the leather. Then you take the photograph, put it into photo shop and make it black and white for a bump map. What the bump map tells 3ds max is this: White areas protrude further out than black areas, which protrude in. So when you make a render, the bumpy parts of the leather look like they are actually bumpy. I also added my own judgment of reflective quality to this texture so you can see some of the lights reflecting to add realism.

Other textures like the pants and cape (still not final id say) were completely created in the 3d program procedurally using the provided base maps to create color mixtures and bumps.

Everything to this point higher res, higher quality (almost complete model):

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2008, 06:03:20 pm »
Wow.  :lee:

steampowered

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2008, 12:19:19 am »
A lot of the textures started out as actual photographs/pics I got from google or other free texture sites (cgtextures.com / vray-materials.com) like the leather. Then you take the photograph, put it into photo shop and make it black and white for a bump map. What the bump map tells 3ds max is this: White areas protrude further out than black areas, which protrude in. So when you make a render, the bumpy parts of the leather look like they are actually bumpy. I also added my own judgment of reflective quality to this texture so you can see some of the lights reflecting to add realism.

Other textures like the pants and cape (still not final id say) were completely created in the 3d program procedurally using the provided base maps to create color mixtures and bumps.

Everything to this point higher res, higher quality (almost complete model):

And so the gray would be the slopes of the bumps, correct?

This actually makes sense now D:

Also, I'd like to say that your model kicks loads of ass. Not just a singular ass, but something more akin to a truck full of barrels of them...

jeez... I gotta stop drinking when I go on the internet... it's almost as embarrassing as driving drunk :<

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2008, 04:01:01 am »
haha, thanks guys

anyway the updates are going to slow down a bit because i realized there is a world away from the computer. lol jk, classes tomorrow again and my girlfriend said she'd leave me if i kept neglecting her...lol jk again.

anyway peace see you soon.

my estimated time of completing this project is 1-2 weeks, as in possibly next weekend

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2008, 11:19:41 am »
Do take your time, and enjoy your exploits outside the Chronoverse!

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2008, 09:04:58 pm »
.... *twitch.* ....... *Passes out.*

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2008, 02:25:05 am »
It's been ages since I've posted here, but I just had to poke in and compliment you on your extraordinary talent, Straafe. I adore your work, and am incredibly jealous of the gift you have with this art form. It's rare I see such wonderful work, and almost never in progress like this. Robo is absolutely wonderful, and Magus is looking awesome.

I will admit, I have one nit-pick: is it just me, or does his face seem a bit...squinty? Like he's got a lemon on his tongue, or something? Otherwise, it looks awesome! Wonderful work, Straafe.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2008, 10:52:22 am »
I have to agree with Mystik.  The face is...a little off.  It's been bothering me for awhile.  Other then that, it's pretty amazing.

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2008, 02:23:02 pm »
I will admit, I have one nit-pick: is it just me, or does his face seem a bit...squinty? Like he's got a lemon on his tongue, or something?

I agree, its been bothering me too. I've been working on expressions to see if I like it, if not it may be more heavily altered.

however, there is a class animation project that's been taking most of my time, so ill post the updates as fast as i can.

this is exactly why i post the progress, to get tips for improvement plus letting you see my workflow.

thanks guys