Author Topic: State of the Project?  (Read 832 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
State of the Project?
« on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:20 am »
Hey,

I have a small amount of free time right now possibly enough to make quick help for the project (I'll definately be able to help more once school is out..FOR GOOD wooo)

so I was wondering if we have anything similar to the wiki that used to be here with the plot and such.  I could pick a quick location to code up.  I have Kasmir's (Serran i used to call him) fortress still on my HD in my opinion it's really well done but could use a chrono 99 touch, I dont know if anyone remembers trying it but it had Ozzie Flea and Slash help you go through a puzzles to open up the fortress. 

I think there was a Porre Lab in the plot I could try working on that unless anyone objects

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: State of the Project?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:31:04 am »
Wow, welcome back! :D

As you know, progress began to be very scarce and slow at some point, and my computer died this summer, so the situation was kind of frozen with no one to code. In October, Zeality officially removed Crimson Echoes from the site's main priorities. I repaired my computer/bought new parts around that time, so I came back and resumed the coding. Things began to run smoothly again, and from October to December the events of the game were polished from the prologue up to the beginning of Marle's chapter in the Reptite timeline (that's about 26% of the game according to the current plot outline).

In early December, I was about to reach the point where I'd have to actually code new stuff instead of just polishing existing events, but I decided to take a short break to go back to "Prophet's Guile" and finish it in time for a Christmas/New Year release. Prophet's Guile is another secret ROM hack, which Zeality launched in January 2007 as a side-project of sorts and which was supposed to be "lightning-developed" in just one month. Well, it had actually dragged up to May, when I had sort of abandoned it to return to Crimson Echoes. So in December we picked up Prophet's Guile again and actually just finished it yesterday (it will be released soon).

That's basically what happened during your absence. The current plot outline has been put on a private wiki at:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/CE

With the big lulls and since my polishing was done chronologically, I don't think I've ever reached the Kasmir Fortress part (the current "frontier" in the playable game is the Reptite timeline chapters). It's definitely still there in the ROM though, and will be reached and polished in due time.

Feel free to tackle the Porre Lab. Note that the blue stuff in the changelog are what's new relative to the previous patch, rather than what's new since you left, but you probably noticed it already (there's a lot of new stuff, eh?). You're coming back at a perfect time, since now that Prophet's Guile is almost "out of the way", the focus can be on Crimson Echoes again. Take a look at the plot outline and go wild!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 09:41:56 am by Chrono'99 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:04:08 pm »
In early December, I was about to reach the point where I'd have to actually code new stuff instead of just polishing existing events

There are quite a bit of skeleton events for the Reptite Finished IIRC, are they not in the ROM?  Terra Tower, Snaking Forest, Robot Factory Reptite Truce Canyone, Strength Contest etc.   

I have noticed all the new things and you've done a tremendous job.  Especially considering that you were working with my early code.  I've started giving each dungeon it's on memory so that everything isn't so intertwined (For example Kasmir's fortress should for all intents and purposes be able to be put in the rom anywhere and just use one story conditional at the beginning to open it up).

I'll work on Porre Lab, will the FLUX patches uploaded be restored with the Wiki and will content I post to the Wiki be overwritten when we restore it?

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:58:19 pm »
Yeah the events of the Reptite chapters are mostly there, but there's more to alter because of some new development and ideas in the plot outline.

...Oh, I've just realized it's not indicated in the forum's plot ouline yet (thus not in the wiki either). I posted about these ideas near the end of the topic (here and here). Oh well, I guess this proves how useful a wiki can be to have everything in one place. It'd be a shame to lose or forget plot ideas scattered in dozens of topics.

I don't really know about the restoration.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »
Alrighty moving right along I'll try out chapter 12 (hey that's my favorite number!)

I'll try out Guardia tiles for the central Regime map and Factory tiles for the rebel base.   I'm not even gunna try the ending with shooting missles out of sky right now though eventually we should be able to copy shooting the blackbird down.

--JP

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:14:48 pm »
The whole Wiki system for CE was based on the scrapped fan project wiki idea, so it's not coming back. So feel free to expand the CE Wiki to host any needed information.

Damn, I wonder why PG hasn't been posted to ROMHacking.net yet? I'm really craving more detailed feedback.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:32:23 pm »
I played PG it was a great concept and wonderfully done.  I don't consider myself well versed enough to talk about the dialogue or anything though.  But from a hacker's view it was awesome.

Is there a way to FTP like I used to to the ce.herograw server?

--JP

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:42:35 pm »
Nah, Ramsus is in Korea now, and even I don't have FTP access to the Compendium, so all I've got is chronofan.com, the private media server most of the site's big files are on. So I couldn't set up a new FTP server.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:28:08 am »
hrm....i'm slightly embarrassed here but how do I update the CE wiki...?

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:24 am »
hrm....i'm slightly embarrassed here but how do I update the CE wiki...?

--JP

There's a link in the encyclopedia to log in:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Special:Userlogin.html

Once logged in you can see [edit] buttons on the pages of the encyclopedia, including the CE pages.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 01:27:11 pm »
Alrighty I figured it out.  I'm going to try to make a comprehensive list of every location/map in the game.  The goal is to do 10 a day so it's going to be awhile.  I also left a place for Memory there where I'll probably format the change log and copy paste it in. 

If anyone wants to help don't be afraid I'm not exactly a wiki expert so it's all a big list instead of in a few columns so it's kinda ugly right now.

Anways location 0 - A are in there as well as their corresponding maps......of course those are easy locations cause it was basically just changing text.

--JP