Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 12184 times)

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2008, 01:40:44 am »
Fine, then. The "number" pi. That still doen't make any difference to the MEANING of my post. The main point is that Egypt's pyramids give us insight to their past, and are a great architechtual achievement.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2008, 03:40:10 am »
There's still no confirmation. The slave thing's just a theory.

And the pyramids are more than just "piles of stones". They have vast underground chambers within them. That's where the dead kings and all of their important belongings were buried. Not to mention all the hieroglyphics that give insight to Egyptian culture. You can't call that a "pile of stones".
Fine fine, I was being a bit unfair. But the underground chambers weren't too exhilirating either - nothing there :P. But anyway, the only two good pyramids are the pyramids of Kufu and Kafre.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2008, 03:42:16 am »
N.B.: I started composing this before Burning Zeppelin replied.
Well that's not what you orginally said. What you said was:
Now, now. You can't say religion is completely worthless.

I mean, after all, think of the wonders of civilization. Would the mysterious pyramids be built if religion didn't exist? I don't think so. And yet science has yet to discover how they were built. Religion has been a motivational aspect of many cultures.

No mention of insight into their past, hm?

There's still no confirmation. The slave thing's just a theory.

So is gravity. Do you deny gravity?
~
If I recall correctly my mathematics teacher explaining why we needed to learn about pi and friends, it is used all the time in architecture and manufacturing. And Radical Dreamer already covered the stars argument.

It's not that we couldn't build the pyramids, just that we don't.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2008, 04:42:45 am »
Lulz at argument about the innocent topic of pyramids. By the way, I think it is 99% accepted that slaves built the pyramids. How the slaves built the pyramids is another story all together, but it's most likely that they used ramps, and brought the stones from another city to Giza during the flooding season (6 months farming, 6 months pyramiding)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2008, 10:51:13 am »
It's not that we couldn't build the pyramids, just that we don't.

Actually... "we" have built pyramids: The Luxor is just one example. We just generally have technology that allows us to build things more efficiently, so we don't waste time on pyramids.

It isn't that the pyramids aren't wonderful or impressive structures; just they aren't the best example. It’s the John Rhys-Davies of world wonders.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »
By "pyramid" I meant along the lines of gratuitously colossal tombs similar in many ways to those in question.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2008, 08:43:47 pm »
And I'd like to point out that the repetition that 'slaves built the pyramids' being fact or viable theory is actually wrong. One thing we do know is that it likely wasn't slaves. It was the populace who were fed and clothed etc. It was teh citizens of Egypt themselves that built it, and as such, while it was brute human labour (one recent theory I heard had them just pull the stones straight up the sides), it was not technically 'slaves.'

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2008, 02:45:45 am »
They were slaves, but the term slave often implies a moral evil. The slaves did not mind, in fact, they were happy they could do it. They were pleasing their God. They could go to heaven! Also, like I said before, when the pyramids were being built, it was impossible to farm, so the Courts of Egypt decided to give them food for sustinence if they built the pyramids.