Author Topic: A Message From ZeaLitY  (Read 4181 times)

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« on: November 14, 2004, 07:20:20 pm »
Okay, you guys...I have some very interesting news for you all...

Quote from: ZeaLitY
Tell everybody that I absolutely implore that they work on basic encyclopedia information with me, and that the site has lost sight of its original goal. Tell them I enjoyed the site in its November 2003 format more than I enjoy it now, and that it was wasting too much of my time and eating away at my life; lastly, inform them that I'll return if they're willing to please, please do some work. We have to fill in all this basic information in the Encyclopedia, such as useless stuff about weapons that no one cares about, but its got to be done before we can move to the really interesting analysis. I am not coming back unless there is some measure of help going on. My life simply can't make enough space for this.

I got this in a PM from him on OCR, and he said that while he worries about Project ZEAL and its continuation, his life is now drastically improved since giving up the Compendium, and doesn't plan on coming back unless somebody will share the burden of updating and such.

So, whatever info is missing from the archives - even the smallest little thing related to CT, CC, or anything Chrono - please add it and do what you can.  It'd be a shame if we lost ZeaLitY because we couldn't do our part.

~.C.S.~

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 07:24:30 pm »
He says his life's improved since he left the Compendium. I think we should just let him live his choice.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 08:58:23 pm »
Hmm, feels like blackmail...

Bah, Vehicles section complete.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 10:26:29 pm »
That was my worry; that it would be seen as that. But spending 2+ hours a day on this really killed my free time, and I couldn't finish important, personal things. I also feel much nostalgia for the old site. The reason the analysis can't be added and finalized until the basic information is complete is that the analysis applies to nearly every topic and entry in the series, meaning it would be significantly easier to draw from, edit, and revise an existing knowledge base rather than working backwards.

Anyway, there aren't any scruples about using existing information. I've always cross-referenced Gamefaqs guides in updating some encyclopedias. But, since I cannot continue like this, two things must happen:

1. Site is finished piecemeal probably over the period of a year
2. Site is expediently finished by a collective effort

It's all in your hands; editing terms is easy and the template is there to follow. Ramsus is going to re-establish our frontend, meaning we'll once again have a showcase and a real appearance, rather than come face to face with the inner workings of the Enyclopedia, hardly aesthetically pleasing.

If option 1 is opted for, yeah, I'll hover around, but nothing will really get done. If 2 is taken and some guys other than Chrono'99, Claado, KWhatzit, Leebot, and V Translanka (sorry if I missed any who've done a few entries in the past) help and contribute, I'll be here. It's just extremely difficult to do this alone; I usually felt very regretful for spending so much time on it some days. I've also hardly been participating in analysis and fanfiction, the real fruits of the Compendium and all of you, because my head's been so deeply submerged in this useless information.

Just to get things started, I'm going to go ahead and make the lists of entries for each encyclopedia. Then you can pick and choose, rather than feel like you aren't sure what you're doing. I'll also make sure the templates are there. I want to be here, but in the interests of my own well-being (because if I let myself, I will waste time on this without stopping myself, like a drug), I can't work at the rate I've been going.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 12:10:42 am »
So, who'd be willing to just do something? Images will come later, by the way. If you volunteer I can tell you what to do, or you can find something you'd like to do.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 05:51:41 am »
As has been stated, I've always been willing to add entires (although most of my info comes more from the Brady Games' Guide & a basic Dictionary and/or Encyclopedia)...But it's just been harder as of late because I've been busy on numerous online writing projects (including ZEAL & my fanfic), my high school completion classes (only two times a week, but the homework really eats up my time), and the recent break-up with my bestfriend/girlfriend...Right now I'm taking a few shots of JD and am probably going to have a smoke...

Personally, ZeaLitY, I don't think you should spend so much time on the site, especially if it's hampering you in any way...Heck, perhaps a little break is what you need...Everyone needs one every now and then...Then, when you come back, you'll have a fresher outlook on things and may feel better about stuff...I think most of the long-timers here are more than willing to add to the minute details if we (if I may count myself among them) can. I think that a lot of people, yes, just don't know what's needed or how exactly to go about doing it (especially for newcomers).

I've noticed that the sections on the main page are bumped down to below the recent news...Maybe that's not for the best? You'd think that kind of stuff should be on the sidebar if possible, or at least somewhere near the top of the page...I dunno...

1stoftheLast

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 06:23:54 am »
^^Agreed^^

Also where is my avatar button?

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 10:18:12 am »
Is this why the site was down for several days?

I assume that ZeaLitY has to pay for this web space, so it is his to handle however he pleases.

That said, I don't think ZeaLitY can expect all other users to be as devoted to the Compendium project as he is himself.

I really doubt that the intention here was to blackmail.  I think ZeaLitY is making a sincere plea.  Still, blackmail is ultimately what this is.  "Make the site into what I thought it would be, or I'll take my ball and go home."

Simply put, this is the best Chrono reference and discussion resource in existence, incomplete though it may be at this point.  I hope it sticks around regardless of how it evolves.

OdF

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 12:16:09 pm »
Well, I'll probably be doing a little more in the encyclopedia, but first I'd like to put the finishing touches on my article. After that, I'll do some more work on finishing entries.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 01:41:33 pm »
Quote from: Oswego del Fuego
Is this why the site was down for several days?

I assume that ZeaLitY has to pay for this web space, so it is his to handle however he pleases.

That said, I don't think ZeaLitY can expect all other users to be as devoted to the Compendium project as he is himself.

I really doubt that the intention here was to blackmail.  I think ZeaLitY is making a sincere plea.  Still, blackmail is ultimately what this is.  "Make the site into what I thought it would be, or I'll take my ball and go home."

Simply put, this is the best Chrono reference and discussion resource in existence, incomplete though it may be at this point.  I hope it sticks around regardless of how it evolves.

OdF

Holy, you got your internet back?

No, the site was down for unknown reasons. Probably, some turned off the computer at Ramsus's house for awhile to work on it or something.

Alright, instead of just unleashing requests, I'm going to tidy up the Music section and then we can approach these useless encyclopedias that are posing so much of a problem.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 01:59:06 pm »
I don't have the internet at home, so I don't work on the encyclopedia as much as I would like... But anyway now that the "request" is expressed clearly, I think people will try to do more. As it has been said, it could have been clearer if the section links were put more at the top or on the sidebar...

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 11:12:37 pm »
I'll be more than willing to write up a few short entries that have to do with CT, since I've played it a bjillion times.  I can't do CC stuff, though, since I don't have a Playstation.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 03:37:59 am »
Looks like I may have to "nerd it up" by bringing my Brady Games Guide to the Library occasionally to make some minor updates if I can. Another major factor in my in-contribution as of late has been my quirky connection...What do I care if a bunch of damn Library people who flock over the DVDs as they're being put away like vultures think I'm being a nerd-o, right?

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 08:17:16 pm »
I'd be glad to help, although I'm not exactly sure how I'd be of any help. I wouldn't know how to do much. But I'd like to help in any single way I can.

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
A Message From ZeaLitY
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 08:25:25 pm »
I see why you stopped, I don't blame you. I really badly wish I could help, but I know nothing about how website  work (All the sites I usually go to I ran into by coincedence) And I have no ego whatsoever and no self-confidence. I waste my time on videogames all the time, and I dout I can make a big difference due to the fact I can only go on the net 90 min. a day (the Library computers have timers on them). I'm really sorry I can't do anything usefull.