Author Topic: Einlanzer and the Melchior Triplets  (Read 3257 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Einlanzer and the Melchior Triplets
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:52:24 pm »
I know that in CC, the Einlanzer was made by Dragonians, but it's still referred to as the Masamune's "brother" and in RD, it was most likely made by the Gurus. I'm wondering, did the Einlanzer have sentience like the other objects Melchior made?

Another thing bothering me, but I dunno if it should go in here or the Character discussion... In CT, wasn't Doreen the spirit of Schala's pendant? Here's a quote from the Retranslation...

Gran: The red stone handed down from long ago......
   From that stone, a pendant and the Demonic
   Vessel were made......
   And a knife was made.

We are Bosch's hopes, imbued into the
   knife......

Although this makes it seem like Doreen is with the Mammon Machine, as well...

I also need a memory refresher, where did Doreen come from when you get the Mastermune in CC? The game scripts just make it look like she was hanging around, and it's been a while since I played the game...

tl;dr:
1) Is the Einlanzer sentient?
2) Is Doreen the spirit of Schala's pendant?
3) Was Doreen in Serge's pocket the whole time in CC, or did I miss something?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Einlanzer and the Melchior Triplets
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 06:28:12 pm »
Not that we know of. I'm not sure if it's referred to as 'brother' in Cross, since I know that it definitively is named such in RD.

As for Doreen...no idea there, either. She seemed to just be hanging around or something. Still, that she's in the pendant is an attractive idea; that explains why she was there (specifically, around Kid's neck...or actually, in her pocket, yeah, since the incomplete Time Egg is around her neck).

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:23:43 pm »
I've always said that Doreen is the spirit of the Pendant, so kudos, maggiekarp. I mean, in the original, I think it's worth noting that her name is Dream. The Entity's dream pretty much starts with Marle getting sucked into that first gate and the Pendant (for whatever reason) falling and allowing Crono to follow, yeah?

Though I think that the three of them, or at least the potential for them, were always there within the rock. Thus making them kind of like...not "soldiers"...but some kind of representative for the Entity/planet.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 04:24:07 pm »
Are you guys sure there was only one piece of that Dreamstone? Cause I think I heard they used it as a currency in the prehistoric ages.

Also I don't think Doreen is in the Pendant. How could she be in the Masamune if she was?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:23:07 pm »
Uh, she wasn't in the Masamune, dude...She later joins up w/Masa&Mune to form the Mastermune...but when does she show up? And doesn't she seem surprised by what Masa&Mune have done?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 10:56:52 pm »
Okay, maybe she joined only from that point. But how could she leave the pendant and enter the Masamune?

Also, Masa and Mune had no idea what they'd done themselves. So it's no wonder she was surprised.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:38:54 pm »
What do you mean how? I don't think that they are confined to the objects, which is clear from our experiences in Zeal where we see Masa, Mune and Doreen just hanging out and later on Denadoro Mt. where Masa&Mune guard their half of the broken Masamune...oddly enough, the hilt end...

It seems like Masa&Mune are more than aware of what they'd done...but I suppose it's all implication/supposition...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:48:38 pm »
Given that the dream species seemingly can teleport from the capital of Zeal to the Ocean Palace and then directly into the Red Knife (unless Masa and Mune can exist both in the knife and in corporeal bodies at once), there doesn't seem to be any reason not to assume that Doreen could have just teleported near Serge when needed. It is a little Deus Ex Machina, but the ability is established.

On the other hand, after the Ocean Palace incident the pendant is described as almost protecting the team, which does indicate that it has at least a little power of sentience (hence, Doreen).

But I doubt Doreen is also part of the Mammon Machine for the simple reason that she is Melchior's dream. Masa & Mune were imbued in the knife seemingly with the intent of stopping the machine; it is a good deal closer to this intent to suppose that Doreen was imbued in the pendant in order to control the machine, rather than to suppose that she was used in the machine with the intent of exploiting Lavos (of course, the machine might have been created before Melchior was leery of Lavos' power).

As for if the Einlanzer is sentient, I would like to say "yes" for symmetry purposes, but I don't recall a single indication that it thought for itself. As Masa and Mune were created as a result of Lavos' power, and Lavos was absent in the Dragonian world, probably there is no comparitive entities there to have been imbued.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:50:55 pm »
But since the Einlanzer is it's opposite, wouldn't it fit that it DOESN'T have sentience of any kind? Maybe it was made to capture the essence of the Masamune (Masa&Mune)...but that's complete conjecture...*shrugs*

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »
Are you guys sure there was only one piece of that Dreamstone? Cause I think I heard they used it as a currency in the prehistoric ages.

Nope, that was a mistranslation, if I remember correctly.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 02:12:07 pm »
Right, I think it was supposed to just say that dreamstone was more precious than gold.

Though, that isn't t say that there was only one hunk of dreamstone.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 03:16:34 pm »
All the game states that Dreamstone is a material. It's not unique.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 03:19:27 pm »
I'm going to agree with Pyt that it was probably a mistranslation.  I do remember them saying something about it being a trade thing....but you only see it once in the whole game, giving the idea it is rare.  Yay mistranslations?

Generality

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 04:37:12 pm »
You only see one chunk of raw Dreamstone. But the Ruby Knife and Schala's Pendant are also made out of Dreamstone, so there's obviously enough of the stuff to make things out of. I seem to remember that the Mammon Machine was made of Dreamstone as well, and that thing's pretty big.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 04:48:52 pm »
The entire game speaks about Dreamstone as a material, there's nothing at all that suggests that it's a unique item. Besides, Ayla gives you a chunk in prehistory; if it were the only chunk in existence, this gift would have severely disrupted history (Zeal wouldn't even exist).

This being said, the kingdom of Zeal indeed had only one chunk according to the NPCs (they speak about the "family's red rock"); the material apparently became rarer and rarer as time passed.

I think there was a theory on the forum that says that Dreamstones are produced by the planet in volcanoes and that it stopped producing them after Lavos' arrival.