Author Topic: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures  (Read 22956 times)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 10:44:12 am »
It's been forever since I've seen these textures in game.
They look even better here, unfiltered and not stretched.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 10:57:24 am »
There's about 10,000 images on Disc 2. Though in reality, Disc 2's .rar is slightly smaller than disc 1's.

Here's the Rapidshare links for both CDs. 
http://rapidshare.com/files/61728893/CCTexFiles.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/61819917/CCTexFiles2.rar.html

I hope this stuff will be of some service to the Compendium.

For anyone who would like to duplicate what I've done and rip your own Chrono Cross stuff, you will need a game CD on hand, IsoBuster (freeware version is sufficient, and is available at http://www.isobuster.com), and PSicture (check http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil.html for that).

There's a right way and a wrong way to rip an iso. Here's the right way:

1.) Open IsoBuster once you've got your game CD in and navigate to your CD drive. The following should show up:

2.) Now right-click the "CD" icon in the left gui panel and select "Extract CD <Content>" and "Extract User Data" as per below:

Select your file path and things should go smoothly. Let IsoBuster give you a .cue sheet too, though I'm not exactly sure how important that is to viewing images and whatever other files may be on here. Basically, I just wanted to point out the distinction between "Extract CD <Content>" and "Extract CD <Image>." Only the latter ripping routine gives you junk data. Have PSicture run a scan on the resulting file and save what you like from there. Warning: Your PC will be sluggish for a few minutes while PSicture wrangles with the behemoth that is Chrono Cross' innards.

Zeality, you or whoever has physical access to the demo CD will have to do this to get at the unadulterated pictures and textures within the Chrono Cross demo. I don't know of any way to convert a junky iso to a clean one; it just has to be ripped clean. I misspoke (misstyped?) when I said I'd rip the images if you put up the iso. Don't waste the effort of uploading.

Jono, I've not forgotten about you. MediaMax is being pissy about letting me upload stuff right now, so that option's out for hosting these. Do you know of any file sharing site that works with your personal firewall setup or whatever's keeping you from grabbing these on Rapidshare?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:23:39 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 02:28:12 pm »
Okay, I'll rip the demo textures.

Can't wait...

I'll just dump both final discs to the same folder and use checksums to remove the duplicates. Then I'll sort them. Already, I can see that location backgrounds are coming in clearly...this is a major coup for the Compendium and Chrono fans.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 05:18:41 pm »
Okay, around 4000 unique images on disc one, and 77 unique images on disc two.

After my horrible midterms and other nightmarish classes, I can begin analysis. Sadly, the graphs in Chronopolis seem to be generated dynamically...

jono

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 08:40:18 pm »
Yeah unfortunately most don't seem to work as I am using the computers at university (I only have dial up at home). The Uni restricts access to most file sharing sites so no go.

If you could e-mail it to brookebackman@yahoo.com.au it would be fantastic, if you can't for what ever reason I'll just try ripping my self.

Thanks either way mate, this is really great for the community.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 09:35:10 pm »
In that case jono, I'd recommend ripping these from your CDs or waiting for the completion of Zeality's duplication-ridding process. The .rars are just over 40MB apiece, so I'd have to stuff your mailbox with 10 separate emails due to Yahoo's 10MB file upload limit per email. I estimate Zeality will get it down to a single 30~35MB archive once he's finished, and perhaps the Compendium will even host it - does the Compendium have that kind of server space?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:36:48 pm by FaustWolf »

jono

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 09:48:35 pm »
Thats fine :)

Yeah, sorry if I sounded pushy, I'll try and rip them later on. Thanks again for this great find.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 12:06:14 am »
Yeah, the Chronofan media server will take care of it. My plan is to review all the textures and sort them into different folders. Then, all can be released as a single texture pack.

I'll go ahead and dump the demo to a subfolder, so the duplication checking program will delete all the duplicates found in the final disc and leave us with material exclusive to the Cross demo.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 12:35:33 am »
Sweetness. Once it's all sorted, maybe we'll be able to tell whether these are indeed ALL the game's textures, or if the collection is still incomplete. As far as characters go, it appears to me like we've got at least two or three sides of everyone's face, upper torso, and weapons, but not their legs or feet. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong on that, as I haven't looked at the files thoroughly yet.

I suppose the completeness of the texture collection will determine how much work needs to be done to get character models, i.e., whether we have to find a way to capture the model geometry only or if we need the textures, shading, etc., to go along with it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 02:42:03 am »
Amazingly, after removing the demo's own duplicates, it has no identical data to the final. At least, going by the program's checksum verification...that's weird.

Anyway, things are going smoothly. It seems my memory was correct; Kato snuck in a picture of himself among the characters. So, perhaps HE was the member of the development team at Terra Tower?

More tomorrow. Enjoy reverse-Harle and beta-Janice.

Edit:

HOLY CRAP, THE QUADFFID and a BEACH BUM / NU WERE PLANNED TO BE IN THE PARTY

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:43:57 am by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 03:09:22 am »
Whoa, is this Toma XIV?

Edit: Here's the stuff on the demo disc I wasn't able to identify. There seem to be a lot of Elements flash / graphical effects in there, along with one real location I can't identify, plus some test images. Once we get these categorized, I'll upload the entire sorted demo stuff and update the demo page. Then it's on to the final version.

http://chronofan.com/Zeality/Demo.zip

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:20:00 am by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 02:28:27 pm »
I narrowed it down to these unknown images. If we can categorize these by location or application, the demo texture pack will be ready to go and I can begin analysis of the character icons and other things I've found.

It's attached. If you've ever played Chrono Cross, then open this and give it a look.

Edit: It's curious that apart from Front Mission 3 and Chrono Cross, PSicture and TIMViewer find no other textures. Yet, one can also play Dewprism and Vagrant Story demos...

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:54:43 pm by ZeaLitY »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 03:00:34 pm »
It looks like 2570 could have been Opassa Beach the only Island close enough to get that view, Could they have planed to have fights at Opassa beach? And 2573 might be atop Mount Pyre only high enough place to get that view that I remember.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 08:33:04 pm »
Thanks; more volunteers are needed, so everyone get into gear! This is amazing.

I've begun updating the demo page and putting together the character analysis:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/5/50/Demo_Cross_Characters.png

I'm going to compare the relation of those images to the final to try and learn more about that Toma-ish character.

I went ahead and went through all 4,000 final Cross textures, with about 600 Element effects / unknown pictures left, which I'll probably get down to about 150-200 unknowns. A neat discovery so far is what appears to be a second cave in the Hydra Marshes.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 10:47:45 pm »
I'm convinced that TIMViewer / PSicture aren't getting all there is to get. I haven't seen the other picture in Lucca's house, much of Termina at all (including the bar's sign or the 100th anniversary sign), the mural at Fort Dragonia...is there a way we could be missing stuff?

Anyway, I saved the interesting textures I've found and will finish updating the demo page now. I'll try to narrow down the unknowns as much as I can, and then release the two texture packs.

If someone wants to make beautiful lightning strike twice...

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=4187

The room modifier code might help us in this search, and is also a topic of interest all to itself. The kid who made it's notes are in that thread, but good luck trying to decode them.