Author Topic: 'Ray-gun'  (Read 676 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
'Ray-gun'
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:45:39 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=482560&in_page_id=1965

Wow... Causing pain without even leaving a mark. It seems terrifying.

The agony the Raytheon gun inflicts is probably equal to anything in a torture chamber - these waves are tuned to a frequency exactly designed to stimulate the pain nerves.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: 'Ray-gun'
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 03:10:45 pm »
Oh please...the Daily Mail is exaggerating this thing in a very serious way.

Articles about this device came out several months ago...it does essentially do what the Daily Mail claims it does--inflict pain without leaving a mark--but it's not designed as a torture device...the idea is a sort of forced "drop your weapons" type of command intended for the taking of prisoners. It's actually a very sensible type of weapon...much more effective as a stun device than current weapons are.

And no, it's not equal to anything experienced in a torture chamber...ignore the Daily Mail's idiotic Fox News-like pumping up of emotions and idiocy. The Daily Mail is a rag not fit to be used as toilet paper, let alone read.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:21:02 pm »
It's only as sensible as the enforcer using it. How much do you trust the people who will be firing these pain beams?

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 08:23:05 pm »
It's only as sensible as the enforcer using it. How much do you trust the people who will be firing these pain beams?
I trust that those who use these weapons will be trained in their utilization properly and that those who abuse the use of them will find themselves losing any access to one of these weapons and punished appropriately.

You can act afraid of technology, or you can act sensibly. Is this dangerous? Sure, but so are all other weapons. It simply requires proper training.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:17:49 pm »
I feel like an idiot now for taking this so seriously.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:36:15 pm »
I feel like an idiot now for taking this so seriously.
Don't. Your concerns about it possibly being used for torture ARE valid if it were to get into the wrong hands. All I'm saying is that you needn't let overly emotionally filled news articles sway your judgment.

I apologize for my initial reaction...I wasn't trying to offend you.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 08:01:33 am »
I apologize for my initial reaction...I wasn't trying to offend you.

Oh, don't worry about it, you didn't offend me. I was just a little annoyed that the article swayed my judgment (as you put it).

Stimulation of the pain nerves, though - Harnessing more compact methods of this would make one hell of a weapon.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:04:16 am by Pyt Fumv »