Author Topic: Unnatural Selection  (Read 5048 times)

Green Dream

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« on: October 30, 2004, 01:02:40 am »
Remember how Azala speaks in CT about how the apes are chosen to live.  I also remember reading a Japanese translation that said that mother earth had chosen them.  Now if the earth had chosen the reptites to live in the dimension it pulled dinopolis back from, wouldn't the dragon gods coming from that place have a natural hatred for humans.  Knowing that wouldn't they want to help Lavos/TD and switch sides since they both have that goal, even if they were originally on the planets side.  Is there still any confusion on this or was it solved somewhere and I missed it?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 07:21:47 am »
The Devourer of Time/Time Devourer/Lavos' Cross Incarnation (whatever you wish to call it)'s ultimate goal is not simple human destruction. Heck, not even regular-if such a adjective may be used-Lavos' intentions were to enslave humanity really...And in Lavos' original goal, the earth is defeated, so it was a common goal of both the earth and humanity to defeat Lavos...

But the DoT simply-if such an adverb may be used-coming into existence causes havoc for everyone...

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 12:57:55 pm »
Somehow, I doubt the Eath harbors hatred for humanity. If the planet felt anything, it would probably be pity. The apes didn't choose to evolve via the Frozen Flame, it just happened. They can't help being the semi-destructive beings they are. Besides, when have we seen the planet do anything malicious to either Crono & co. or Serge & Co.? No, the demi-humans don't count, and neither does the Dragon God. The planet itself.

I'm sure, the planet would actually realize the many similarites between Dragonions and Humans.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Unnatural Selection
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 01:18:06 pm »
Quote from: Green Dream
Now if the earth had chosen the reptites to live in the dimension it pulled dinopolis back from, wouldn't the dragon gods coming from that place have a natural hatred for humans.  Knowing that wouldn't they want to help Lavos/TD and switch sides since they both have that goal, even if they were originally on the planets side.  Is there still any confusion on this or was it solved somewhere and I missed it?

If I remember correctly, the dragon gods do hate humanity. However, as Translanka pointed out, the goal of the Time Devourer appears to the destruction of all space-time. (Which I feel bad for using the term, as it gets thrown around pretty loosely, but I can't think of a simpler way to say it.)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 02:33:08 pm »
The planet does hate humans.  We are foreign to it and it is obsessed with the idea of wiping us out.

Son of a bitch planet...that's why I'm Republican.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 03:35:44 pm »
This is a moot point. The planet has a great degree of control over its own inhabitants and personal time, but if it could have stopped Lavos from falling in the first place, it would have. Thus, Keystone is a dimension in which Lavos falls, and Reptite is a dimension in which Lavos as we know him was never born or simply skipped our planet. The planet doesn't have that kind of control.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 04:10:12 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
The planet does hate humans.  We are foreign to it and it is obsessed with the idea of wiping us out.

Son of a bitch planet...that's why I'm Republican.

Where do you get that? The Dragon God claims that, but as we know he's been absorbed by the TD.

The dwarves claim that we're destructive, but their words carry no real weight, they do, after all commit the exact same, if not worse crime, to the faries.

Yes, I too am a Republican.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 04:32:34 pm »
A scene with the frozen flame (I believe in Fort Dragonia) dicusses humanity's rise to power in greater detail - at least from the Dragonian perspective. I think the series was pretty clear about there being some hostility between the planet and humanity, but I don't know if I'd go to the extent to say that the planet hates humanity - after all, the Entity (if you interpret it to the be planet) does utilize Crono & Co to alter the future.

Hostility between the two is probably a better word than hatred.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 04:44:05 pm »
There is something of the Dragon God's will in the projection's words.  Lavos' goal is to use humanity for his own ends and eventually wipe them out.  To this end, it could be said that he manipulated Crono and friends into destroying him.  In this way, the time paradox that allowed him to grow into the Time Devourer by absorbing the Dragon God would occur.  However, we know that beings absorbed by Lavos carry some will of their own -- Schala demonstrates this.  And the Dragon God, its real form anyway, is almost certainly mightier than Schala.  The hatred we hear from the Dragon God is not all the words of Lavos -- some of it is from the Dragon God.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 04:44:49 pm »
Think about it though, long before the planet could concievably have any hatred towards humanity's ancestors, the apes; The Dragonians anscestors hated the apes. I'm sure that the Fort Dragonia scene is little more than bitterness of the Dragonians rather than the opinion of the planet.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 06:15:36 pm »
Quote from: GreenGannon
Think about it though, long before the planet could concievably have any hatred towards humanity's ancestors, the apes; The Dragonians anscestors hated the apes. I'm sure that the Fort Dragonia scene is little more than bitterness of the Dragonians rather than the opinion of the planet.

Moreover, Azala himself (herself??) came to believe the Planet has sided with the Humans. The Planet might also have created the Red Gate for Lucca, during the campfire scene. And, judging from Schala's big speech during CC's ending, it doesn't appear the Planet hates us that much.

The Dragon God is clearly insane though. He wanted to destroy the whole humanity instead of just Chronopolis, as he was meant to do.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 06:49:41 pm »
It's sort of like the crusades. The Dragon God, claimed it was killing the humans in the name of the planet. Like the European's claiming that they were killing muslims in the name of God.

Assuming that God exists for the moment (As I believe he does.)

The planet, like God in the crusades, probably wanted nothing to do with this. It's not good PR.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 08:49:42 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99

Moreover, Azala himself (herself??) came to believe the Planet has sided with the Humans. The Planet might also have created the Red Gate for Lucca, during the campfire scene. And, judging from Schala's big speech during CC's ending, it doesn't appear the Planet hates us that much.

The Dragon God is clearly insane though. He wanted to destroy the whole humanity instead of just Chronopolis, as he was meant to do.

This much is true. However, we do know that the reptites developed more in tune with the planet - humanity developed as Lavos saw fit. Since the planet is at war with Lavos, surely it must bear some resentment toward Lavos' offspring, no?

I see the planet viewing humanity as a prodigal son of sorts. We (reptites & humans) are both creations of the planet (as far as the series is concerned), we just "grew up" in different ways.

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 10:00:24 pm »
The planet probably resents humanity, however it needs humans to destroy Lavos/DoT, just as humans need Lavos to be destroyed in order to survive. The planet provides the gates and picks "teams" , while those human "teams" provide the manpower to defeat Lavos.   Its like a temporary partnership between two enemies to fight the greater enemy of the two.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
Unnatural Selection
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 01:56:01 am »
Quote from: Symmetry
Quote from: Chrono'99

This much is true. However, we do know that the reptites developed more in tune with the planet - humanity developed as Lavos saw fit. Since the planet is at war with Lavos, surely it must bear some resentment toward Lavos' offspring, no?

I see the planet viewing humanity as a prodigal son of sorts. We (reptites & humans) are both creations of the planet (as far as the series is concerned), we just "grew up" in different ways.

I'd agree with the prodigal son theory. I also think that the planet doesn't hate us, but rather, pities us.

You could say that Lavos raped the earth, and that we were the result. Earth could then, love us, but always have to carry that around.